Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ravage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2018, 06:10 PM

Default The State of the Hobby

So I've been out of the hobby for about 3 years now, and just recently started browsing the board again (planning on having frogs in a tank by fall but that's irrelevant).

It seems to me like the hobby has significantly decreased in size since then, at least judging by the traffic on this forum. Anyone else feel like there's any truth to this? Or maybe just on this board? Or am I totally off base and the hobby is thriving and as big as ever.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018, 03:06 AM
Mod

Default Re: The State of the Hobby

Dendroboard's popularity has definitely waned over the past 2-3 years. I would attribute it to the increase in FB frog groups, and the number of general users that frequent those groups. Why post on a dart-specific forum and wait a few hours/days for responses, when you can post to FB, and have dozens of replies in minutes? It is important to note, however, that ANYONE can post ANYTHING on Facebook, regardless of its validity or veracity, and few are likely to challenge for fear of being accused of bullying.
As far as the size of the overall hobby, I think it may have decreased some, but there are still plenty of diehard long-term keepers out there, and there never seems to be any shortage of newbies catching the frog "bug".
Old 03-19-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Dendroboard's popularity has definitely waned over the past 2-3 years. I would attribute it to the increase in FB frog groups, and the number of general users that frequent those groups. Why post on a dart-specific forum and wait a few hours/days for responses, when you can post to FB, and have dozens of replies in minutes? It is important to note, however, that ANYONE can post ANYTHING on Facebook, regardless of its validity or veracity, and few are likely to challenge for fear of being accused of bullying.
As far as the size of the overall hobby, I think it may have decreased some, but there are still plenty of diehard long-term keepers out there, and there never seems to be any shortage of newbies catching the frog "bug".
Ya I've definitely noticed the growth in FB forums. It's a shame too, I totally agree with the downsides you mentioned.

So question, should I be hesitant in purchasing frogs from sellers on FB?

Old 03-24-2018, 02:31 AM

I don't use Facebook. Read the news and you'll know why. People may think that frogging on Facebook is not a big deal, considering the "reach" to an audience. That would be incorrect.
I think we're about to see the pendulum swing back. Facebook may or may not fail, but those who continue to use it will continue to be spied upon. It will increasingly be recognized as prudent to conduct frog business on a safe, moderated platform that specializes in Anurans. Such as Dendroboard.
Becci likes this.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:30 AM

Hey, I mean, I'm brand new here... And also from Rochester. So there's that.

Currently in Albany though, for law school. But I grew up in Rochester, did my undergrad in Geneva, and will be moving back to Rochester in about a year.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchub View Post
Hey, I mean, I'm brand new here... And also from Rochester. So there's that.

Currently in Albany though, for law school. But I grew up in Rochester, did my undergrad in Geneva, and will be moving back to Rochester in about a year.
Hey, small world! Shoot me a message when you're back in roc if you want to meet up or anything. Nice to know there's other local people in case of a fly culture emergency or something lol

Old 03-28-2018, 03:52 AM

Yeah, for sure! Definitely would be good to "know a guy". I'll let you know when I'm back in town.