No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Dane
  • 2 Post By AuroraK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 11:01 PM

Default When are tanks too many?

I am hopefully not at that point yet, but I am newly single, and now that I am back on my own, I have gotten into keeping darts and reptiles again.

However, I now have a 46 gallon bowfront tank for a turtle, and a 10 gallon vert for my darts.

I am currently working on a 55 gallon vert with nice custom wood hood and base (to mimic a zoo display), and that's in another corner of the living room. Do you think it would be a turn off to women that might come over to have a bunch of tanks in the living room? It hasn't so far, but I really don't want to place them elsewhere in the apartment since I spend 99% of my time in the living room. I thought of moving the 10 gallon vert into my bedroom, but I would never get to admire it.

I know in the end that it's my choice, and if a woman is going to complain about having reptiles around, then she's probably not the one for me, but I am 42, and not a college kid, so I can't get away with having a "college kid apartment' flowing with beer memorabilia and reptiles....lol.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 05:47 AM

Default Re: When are tanks too many?

Honestly you'll have a feeling when there's too many tanks. My personal thoughts are when tank maintence becomes work instead of part hobby. All my tanks are in my room so when family visits they hate sleeping in my room becuase they think I'm a jerk because the lights come on at six in the morning. I laugh it off because I'm used to it. Personally I'd love to see a large vivarium as soon as I walk into the door. Granted I'm not female so can't help you there, but I've noticed there are always swarms of people in front of the dart frog tanks in the zoo. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Yea, I hear ya on the dart frog attraction.

Again, I've never had anyone mention it, but just thinking for the future. I think as long as the tanks look nice, and are kept up, then it's more "accepting" to the opposite sex.....lol.

I'm going to do what I want to do, of course, but don't want to be this creepy guy surrounded by reptiles, tanks, spray bottles, etc. I think if I can keep it on a neat and tidy level, I would be good. It's not like the TV is mounted on top of a tank........yet..........lol.

I used to have a spare room when I was last single (14 years ago), which was perfect for a "reptile room" in that I could close the door off and call it a day, but I feel these beautiful animals need to be admired, and you can't do that 3 rooms away....

Old 03-11-2018, 04:21 AM
Mod

I say you go "balls out" and flood your entire living space with frogs BEFORE you meet someone. That way, when you do have a special lady in your life, you can thin out your collection to a manageable, modest level, and convince her that you did it just for her.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I say you go "balls out" and flood your entire living space with frogs BEFORE you meet someone. That way, when you do have a special lady in your life, you can thin out your collection to a manageable, modest level, and convince her that you did it just for her.
Haha! Great idea!
Old 04-09-2018, 05:29 PM

From personal experience, the tanks can be a little goofy, but an attraction as well. Ive had a number of ladies curious to see the frogs and ask to come by. As long as you're not giving off a serial killer vibe, it might add to your game a bit. When I was living on my own in an apartment, I had around 20 tanks varying from 10-30 gallons. It never seemed to deter anyone, just the opposite. But if you decide to get serious with someone, definitely establish ground rules for the frogs. With my current gf we have a designated frog room. She doesn't care what I do as long as it stays in this assigned area.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:00 PM

If you try meeting ladies with ecology, biology, or other science backgrounds, or who simply have an interest in those things, you might indeed find keeping dart frogs to be an attractant. Provided you're doing it well, devoting a good chunk of your time to caring for small, vulnerable animals is a plus for your dating resumé.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodswalker View Post
If you try meeting ladies with ecology, biology, or other science backgrounds, or who simply have an interest in those things, you might indeed find keeping dart frogs to be an attractant. Provided you're doing it well, devoting a good chunk of your time to caring for small, vulnerable animals is a plus for your dating resumé.
Lol hey baby you want to come back to my place and check out my frogs?
Old 06-06-2018, 03:53 AM

I'm one of the extremist. You would never guess it until you wonder into the basement then you would think I had an illegal animal business going on. I had monster fish tanks ranging from 75-740g with huge exotic fish. Filtration ran thru the wall you name it. On top of inheriting around 15 dart tanks. They were all clean and in the basement. No problems

The problems come in when you start turning your main living space into a man cave/animal room. Most of the female persuasion don't appreciate that or the smells that come with it.

I would say a couple of displays done tastefully and your good. Turtles are going to be a definite problem no go imo. Darts and fish don't seem to be cause for alarm. Now bugs, reptiles, & other amphibians seem to send set off a spider sense that something's not right.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Default When are tanks too many?

As a woman, I have to say this thread irritating. I keep all the frogs and other critters in our house, and my husband tolerates it fine. Just like I tolerate his hobbies that I do not find that interesting. Because that is what grown ups do.

So, some thoughts:

First, keeping darts and being a grown up with a grown up house (e.g., not filled with beer memorabilia) are not mutually exclusive. I suspect most adults are more concerned with the latter.

Second, just f-ing find a woman who likes or tolerates dart frogs - lots of women do. If the women you’re interested in are “scared” of frogs or bugs, then that sounds like your problem.

Third, to someone who mentioned smells, if your tanks smell then you are doing it wrong - and no reasonable person, man or woman, wants to be in a house that smells. To that point, if you don’t take care of your tanks then you clearly have exceeded the number you should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R. Variabilis Highland 1.1.1