Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 03:00 AM

Default got a dirty job?

well i sure do! i have acually talked to mike rowe!(from the show dirty jobs)my boss would not allow him to come though due to safety issues. i though he should have just went through with it!

i work for a trucking company called reynolds nationwide and we haul raw materials such as ground up chicken , pork,beef,fish,a mix of digestive parts! it is used for a well known canned dog food brand.(biggest in north america!)we also haul chocolate,milk,tequila,corn syrup,coco butter for m&m mars!

well ill get to the point!im not allowed to get into the foodgrade trailers due to the cosher laws but i do get in the pet food trailers
they are tanker trailers and i have to wash the outside and inside they are frozen in the winter and baked and rotten in the summer! its nasty but moneys worth it!(plus i have a family that means more to me than not having maggots on my face)so i deal with it and provide for my family.i know i cant do it forever and i dont have a 401k but im buying a house and sputtering to take off with a t shirt company

it gets bad in the trailers you can pass out in them from lack of oxygen or from the methane smell the meat gives off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 02:17 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: got a dirty job?

I'm just glad to hear that a load of chicken guts isn't followed by a load of chocolate or other human food in the same trailer. No matter how well it is cleaned out. But yeah, sounds like a dirty job for sure. That sucks that Mike couldn't come. I mean he has done worse jobs on the show as far as the danger factor.

Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?
Old 11-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Ya - better you than I.

If you don't have a 401k plan, there are alternatives fyi.

People would be amazed if they every really took a look at what was in dog food (or even people food). Although, given the chance most dogs would eat it anyways & definitely roll in it.

Regardless, someone has to do these jobs. I am glad to hear you get paid well - too bad your employer doesn't realize the tax benifits and goodwill to employees he is loosing out on by not offering 401ks to employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridebmx View Post
well i sure do! i have acually talked to mike rowe!(from the show dirty jobs)my boss would not allow him to come though due to safety issues. i though he should have just went through with it!

i work for a trucking company called reynolds nationwide and we haul raw materials such as ground up chicken , pork,beef,fish,a mix of digestive parts! it is used for a well known canned dog food brand.(biggest in north america!)we also haul chocolate,milk,tequila,corn syrup,coco butter for m&m mars!

well ill get to the point!im not allowed to get into the foodgrade trailers due to the cosher laws but i do get in the pet food trailers
they are tanker trailers and i have to wash the outside and inside they are frozen in the winter and baked and rotten in the summer! its nasty but moneys worth it!(plus i have a family that means more to me than not having maggots on my face)so i deal with it and provide for my family.i know i cant do it forever and i dont have a 401k but im buying a house and sputtering to take off with a t shirt company

it gets bad in the trailers you can pass out in them from lack of oxygen or from the methane smell the meat gives off!

Old 11-06-2008, 03:08 PM

money is worth it........but he doesnt believe in any compensation past that piont. i had cellulitus on my face a while back and they would not deem it work related .as well as salmanila i caught.i have barely made it out of a few of them in the summer. i will keep doing it untill i get too old or my back goes out from being hunched down in them things.

btw(my checks range from $700.00 to $1600.00 after taxes) and thats per week.and usualy in the higher range
Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM

you hiring lol good luck to you and your dirty job!! ive worked some gross jobs but nothing like cleaning out a tanker of chicken guts!
Old 11-06-2008, 03:52 PM
TWI/ASN

I occasionally have to drain several acre large ponds and crawl around in several feet of mud looking for the fish. We had contacted mike rowe as well, but they've always had scheduling conflicts. We have had producers from the show out to see what it is that we do though.
Old 11-06-2008, 04:09 PM
TWI/ASN

I've submitted my "job" a couple times on the Dirty Jobs forum. I want to get him to come to Panama with me to do research on frogs. It's not transporting chicken guts or anything, but it gets pretty dirty and smelly by the end of the day (bushwhacking through the jungle diving on frogs in 80+ degree temps and 90+% humidity). I haven't been contacted by him yet, unfortunately. I think that it'd be pretty cool. I suppose I'll keep on inviting him.

Oophaga pumilio Researcher - 1 New Morph So Far

http://monarchzman.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Dedicated Supporter

No offense, but if there are that many issues, what good does the money do you when you are too ill or end up dead?

I am just getting over cellulitus myself, surgical incision - I can't imagine having it on my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iridebmx View Post
money is worth it........but he doesnt believe in any compensation past that piont. i had cellulitus on my face a while back and they would not deem it work related .as well as salmanila i caught.i have barely made it out of a few of them in the summer. i will keep doing it untill i get too old or my back goes out from being hunched down in them things.

btw(my checks range from $700.00 to $1600.00 after taxes) and thats per week.and usualy in the higher range
Old 11-06-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa68 View Post
No offense, but if there are that many issues, what good does the money do you when you are too ill or end up dead?

I am just getting over cellulitus myself, surgical incision - I can't imagine having it on my face.
i hear ya but i have managed to end up with so many bills that i cant get a better job without having past the 10th grade(ive tried g.e.d. )

$1200 mortgage
$40 a week in gasoline (me n my wife)
$125 cell phone bill (5 phones)
$166 car loan
$100 to an insurance comp (for a wreck)
$20 a month for book club for daughter
$60 gas bill
$40 water bill
$100 for colections on hospital bills for my wife(we owe $187,765.00!)
$150 house phone\ internet\cable

it is hard enough to do it on my income.but i keep on keepin on!
Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM

yes i work at a pet store, alamo pets

Its very dirty and im very unlucky.
Ive had feces kicked in my mouth
Had a chinchilla ejaculate on my hand
and my first week the freezer in back broke down and melted everything inside overnight. I scooped everything into a cardboard box. i was carrying it out back to the dumpster when the bottom burst and a big pulp of feeder rats, fish, and goop dumped all over me.

Oh and my boss is a horrible wench. she put ten full grown rats in a ten gallon tank in the back room. our guinea pigs are always pregnant because shes hellen keller and cant sex them right. she put turtles in the frog tank and they bit the frog i raised from a tadpole in half. she poured bleach in the guppie tank because she "read online" that it kills the algae(along with everything else) and she always screams at her little kids in the store. its a pet store that i had always visited since i was nine but now she owns it and it is horrible.

anywho it would be so awsome to meet mike rowe ive seen every episode of dirty jobs and he seems like such a cool guy hes so funny
Old 11-08-2008, 06:07 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyn View Post

and my first week the freezer in back broke down and melted everything inside overnight. I scooped everything into a cardboard box. i was carrying it out back to the dumpster when the bottom burst and a big pulp of feeder rats, fish, and goop dumped all over me.

Oh and my boss is a horrible wench. she put ten full grown rats in a ten gallon tank in the back room. our guinea pigs are always pregnant because shes hellen keller and cant sex them right. she put turtles in the frog tank and they bit the frog i raised from a tadpole in half. she poured bleach in the guppie tank because she "read online" that it kills the algae(along with everything else) and she always screams at her little kids in the store. its a pet store that i had always visited since i was nine but now she owns it and it is horrible.

anywho it would be so awsome to meet mike rowe ive seen every episode of dirty jobs and he seems like such a cool guy hes so funny
I've seen some of the most unfortunate things by working at pet stores. I can feel for you. Back almost 20 years ago a pet store that I was working at decided to set up a display for easter that would contain bunnies and ducks that were for sale. The next morning we came in to find ducks with no feet The sight is permanently imprinted in my head
Old 01-01-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyn View Post

LOL, that sucks. We our one of your distibutors, your store is actually an account of mine.....= P
Don't worry though...ill keep your opinions strickly confidential....as long as you order our minimum....buuuwaaahahahah. Im totally joking...but you guys really are one of my accounts...= P.

I have worked for some of the local 'deathco's', and the smell of the 'Animal wellness room' is something that will forever haunt me, especially after power outages.
I totally empathise wit JubJub, I think trudgeing around a drained pond is up there as far as dirty jobs. Replacing pondliners,waterfalls, and plumbing is no joke in the summer.

Last edited by Nick_; 01-01-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:19 AM

i quit my job! i am back working construction for a few weeks till i get another job that takes out taxes......central ohio transit authority(COTA) looks promising though <fingers crossed>

they have coach cleaning positions open now! 14.75 hr it will be enough pay for the bills at least.without the risk of dieing from infection like my last job..

i will ellaborate later...................................to be continued

36 gal bowfront........(my first)
www.83hearts.com
Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 AM
TWI/ASN

LOL
Cleaning up after and feeding 400 fruit bats? yeah, its a dirty job.

i work at the Denver zoo in Tropical Discovery and get to clean up after fruit bats, vampire bats, howler monkeys, capybara, prevost's Squirrel's, chevrotain's and tons of reptiles and amphibians, fish and turtles...
and on and on and on....
Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 PM

hey i just wanted to say i have quit REYNOLDS NATIONWIDE.

i have many,many reasons for my "career change".i definitely left them high and dry.AS THEY HAVE DONE TO ME.i have risked my wife's health long enough.its hard to be carefull and to stay sanitary.after all ive done for Reynolds they have no respect for me.i worked non stop when Jess was in and out of the hospital,during her heart transplant,barely saw Hannah,while she was at my mother in laws for weeks,i get ear infections all the time,had maggots in my eyes.nose.mouth.ears,salmonila!,got cellulitus on my face!,and had it on my elbow,could have died in a few rendered trailers(from the fumes)no joke,i pissed on myself once,and past out from a few of them.not to mention the heat in the summer .you cant keep liquids in your system because of sweating so much,and getting frost bite in the winter from being soaking wet in the cold below freezing wind!

i did start slacking off there for a while and only did what was needed for the day,which pissed them off ,but screw that i have a family\life too! recently the other wash bay guy got fired and i worked 7 days a week . and worked my hind end off i might add. we had a meeting about making sure everything was clean right so the whole time i was going the extra mile to get the outsides clean as heck(sparkling) !since i started i have been happily making between $800.00 to 1900.00 after taxes.the pay was based on what i did such as ,

$15 inside trailer

$10 outside trailer

$10 per truck wash

that is a lot of work! it takes a toll on your health for sure .i have dropped down to 130lbs from 150lbs since being there(it was mostly muscle tissue) that is a lot for someone that has very little fat tissue!

i do take my job seriously .so coming to work everyday (7 days a week) and staying very attention to detail is a big task for anyone.i would be the first one there in the morning and the last one there at night!it was my job to make sure EVERY trailer on the schedule went out on time .which meant staying till 3:00 in the morning until everything was finished.when the head mechanic left everyday at 5:00 pm whether he checked out the trailers or not. that could be life threatening for you and your children in the car next to it when a wheel hub breakes off !so i would check them and fix crap on them without getting payed for it!

only to find out my checks were coming up short?wtf!($400-$900 short)which put me at a pay rate of (est... 400 to 500weekly) and no ins. benifets after taxes it made me mad .so i went to my boss and asked if there is anything i can improve on.he said no your getting them clean and don't need to do anything else,,,,,BUT we have been docking your pay because we started a new method which is only washing the outside of a particular trailer once in a week ......first time they mentioned it to me. now i know washing the inside is the main priority, but i washed the hell out of those trailers and didn't get payed. we might get the same trailers back four times a week . so that cuts the pay allot!

they are trying to lower the overall wash bay pay so as soon as we move or go to hourly it wont be such a drastic cut in pay. they feel like they are putting me in my place i guess,but it was only a matter of time before they found out i do not have a place at Reynolds. i was merely milking the "cash cow" and i am just moving on.......now they are stuck with one new guy that hasn't yet learned everything yet .i tried to teach him everything before i left though.he may be able to make 700.00 after taxes on a good week.since he will be the only one there, but who knows.they will find out the have made a big mistake in doing this because noone in there right mind will do this crap for 500.00 a week! and no benifets

well sorry for rambling on!

36 gal bowfront........(my first)
www.83hearts.com