Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DunderBear
  • 1 Post By DragonSpirit1185
  • 1 Post By Gibbs.JP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2016, 05:12 AM

Default My dart frog story. Joy to heart ache

HI everyone. Jknight here.

Some Den. users might remember me from a few years back, before I went on my hiatus. Not sure where to post this.. but here goes nothing.

My story begins like many others. One day at my local reptile store, I saw my first dart frog. Of course I had the , " I thought those were poisonous" thoughts in rolling through my head. I instantly ran home to do research for myself.

I don't remember the morph, but it was a green and black Auratus. I was instantly hooked / in love with the idea of keeping some as my own. I ended up buying a few. At a way to expensive price I might add.

From there the sickness took full affect.

Years past. From my humble beginnings of 1 tank with a few Auratus. I now had upwards of 20 tanks. ( Not many compared to some users ) For me it was a lot. I had some rare frogs as well. My prized possession being a trio of WC True Sips.

This is where my story starts to turn.

Like many who keep reptiles or frogs, I had a portable air conditioner and heater to keep temps optimal. One day I checked in on everything/ everyone in the morning . Everything was doing well. I had eggs incubating, tads growing. Things were great. My Retics were transporting Eggs. I was so excited.

I left for work. This was the last time I say many of my frogs.

I get home. Instantly go to the frog room. Opened the door. My heart sank. The room was EXTREMELY hot. I look at the Air conditioner, the vent had fallen out of the window somehow. Blowing hot air into the room for hours. I rushed to try and correct the problem. Deep down I knew my efforts were in vane. The room was well over 120 Degrees.

1 by 1 I check my tanks. My heart breaks a little more after each opening. Everything that was on the middle and top shelves were gone. All my tads, eggs. Gone. The pain/ Guilt I felt (still do) is something that his hard to put into words. I lost 80+ % of my frogs that day.

The other frogs. I gave away and sold. In a matter of a week, I went from having 20 + healthy and thriving tanks. To having nothing.

This was about 4 years ago. I haven't had a frog or any sort of reptile since. So why, am I back on Dendroboard?

I just saw some Azureus at Petco yesterday. It brought back some joyous and painful memories.

Anyways.. I am slowly getting back to the Idea of keeping some darts..

Its been a long time...

If you actually took the time to sit and read this , thank you.
Its great to be back on Den.

-J

Old 10-13-2016, 06:34 PM

Default Re: My dart frog story. Joy to heart ache

Completely understandable and not your fault. Welcome back I just joined the hobby.
jknight likes this.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunderBear View Post
Completely understandable and not your fault. Welcome back I just joined the hobby.

Thanks for the welcome, Dunderbear. It's great to be back.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:02 PM

*Heartache* * in vain* transporting *tads* not eggs.. was drinking a but when I wrote this..
Old 10-16-2016, 05:18 AM

that sucks. I'd just make sure the n=vent is in place. I'm afraid to keep darts and have window units or anything like that cause if the power goes out or if there is a surge and the breaker is tripped on the cord it could be off for hours. From herein I will only live in places with HVAC systems.
jknight likes this.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:53 PM

What a bummer, and such a sad story. I know it can happen to the best of us (and I know some who it's also happened to). Even with preparation and planning and back up plans... accidents happen and that's a huge bummer.

Looking forward to meeting you at the SCADS get together... hopefully we can get you fixed up back into the hobby!
jknight likes this.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbs.JP View Post
What a bummer, and such a sad story. I know it can happen to the best of us (and I know some who it's also happened to). Even with preparation and planning and back up plans... accidents happen and that's a huge bummer.

Looking forward to meeting you at the SCADS get together... hopefully we can get you fixed up back into the hobby!

Thanks Josh,
It was a tough time. Cant wait for the meeting!

-J
Old 10-21-2016, 01:40 PM

Welcome back into the hobby! Very sad story, but sometimes bad things happen. Try not to blame yourself and get some more frogs!😉

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk