facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mantella71
  • 1 Post By darterfrog4774
  • 2 Post By Ed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2015, 07:05 PM

Default There ought to be a law...

I have to get something off my chest- there's a local pet store that specializes in fish but expanded into reptiles and amphibians. You would think experience with fish would attune them to precise environmental conditions. So what do I see in the Herp section? Every damn lizard is kept the same: heat lamp, wood chippings, water and food bowls. It doesn't matter if you are a chameleon or a leopard gecko or a uromastyx, you get the same setup. I know pet stores tend to be minimalist and modular when it comes to setups, but would it kill them to look at some of the care books THEY SELL and realize you don't keep the green anoles at 80 degrees next to a uromastyx with a 115 degree hotspot?
The worst offense happened to be the amphibians. I know I am planning a more modest viv setup than many people here, but I would not dare think of plopping a dart frog in a tank with a water bowl, bare dirt with no plants, and a uvb bulb. Yet this is the grand design for a 'mint' terriblis.
I have no patience with people trying to ban pet reptiles and so forth. However, I would seriously consider a regulatory approach to pet stores. At the very least I want to see a world where pet store employees are not as dumb as a rock. Unfortunately, being an idiot is not illegal, otherwise half of the government would be in jail.
So...is it this bad everywhere? Is it a universal principle that pet stores suck for actually, you know, acquiring a pet? Or have I lucked out on a particularly bad apple?
(See, THIS is why I am doing most of my stuff through recommended vendors on here.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 11:51 PM

Default Re: There ought to be a law...

Unfortunately i have seen the same in most pet stores but some employees/stores actually do the research to properly set up decent enclosures. If i see an enclosure that is totally incorrect i try to educate someone in charge of reptiles. Knowledge, education and little love go along way.
Enlightened Rogue likes this.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:09 PM
TWI/ASN

At a lot of the chain stores, many employees want to make the animal cages better, but management doesn't allow it. So please be careful when you try to educate people, as in may seem condescending to them if they know the stuff.
FroggyKnight likes this.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:10 AM

Agreed, but doesn't hurt to try. I used to do pest control to many of the big name stores and they told me the same thing. Obviously upper management only cares about $. Most of their revenue comes from supplies.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:01 AM

I used to work at a local pet store chain in Cleveand. Most of the employees are high school kids looking for beer money. Management won't hire anybody for more than minimum wage, period. Management is also directed to keep the reptiles on a poor feeding schedule. People want cute baby pets, not grown ones. They intentionally underfeed to keep them small and cute, which also saves money on food.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:19 PM

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzkramer View Post
I used to work at a local pet store chain in Cleveand. Most of the employees are high school kids looking for beer money. Management won't hire anybody for more than minimum wage, period. Management is also directed to keep the reptiles on a poor feeding schedule. People want cute baby pets, not grown ones. They intentionally underfeed to keep them small and cute, which also saves money on food.
If they are feeding in excess of the need to supply basal metabolic requirements then they are technically not underfeeding the animals. Keep in mind that obesity is very common in pets and this includes reptiles and amphibians.
As an example some snakes in the wild are known to wait for a month or more before meals in the wild and may only consume six meals during a year (some rattlesnakes are an example).

In the frog hobby, the preponderance of frogs are obese to grossly obese to the point that frogs that have a more normal weight are often considered underweight or under fed.

Some comments

Ed