Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By brendan0923
  • 1 Post By brendan0923
  • 1 Post By Dendrobait

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2015, 04:49 PM

Default Jellyfish tank

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to show off some pics of our 6 gal. Moon jelly tank! These guys are insanely cool. A lot of work, but totally worth it. Anyone else find jellies as facinating as I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Jellyfish tank

These are awesome. I didn't realize private individuals kept these. How tricky was it to get it up and running? How difficult is it to maintain? I wonder if this is something I'd ever be able to pull off.

The Omaha zoo has a great big tank of these but it took them FOREVER to get it going. They did a big expansion on their aquarium and the jellyfish tank looked like it was empty for a couple years, then there were just a couple in there, then it kind of exploded. Maybe took about 4 years total. Now they've built out their collection to include some sea nettles and a few other types. They're highly trippy to watch.

Here's a picture I found of their tank online. They have the blacklights on them like you do, so you can see them better.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 PM

I thought about getting something like this:
Amazon Amazon
That price tag though...

Old 05-21-2015, 12:25 AM

Look up a book on jellies in captivity on amazon

Moons do not need special made tanks of that sort...you can easily mod a tank...id reccomend a 10 or 20 gallon to keep them. If you live in socal they can be collected easily...best to get smallish ones from the lagoons and back bays.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrobait View Post
Look up a book on jellies in captivity on amazon

Moons do not need special made tanks of that sort...you can easily mod a tank...id reccomend a 10 or 20 gallon to keep them. If you live in socal they can be collected easily...best to get smallish ones from the lagoons and back bays.
Is that so? I have heard of DIY kreisal tanks but I never bothered to try. I got my stuff from JellyfishArt about a month or so ago.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thane View Post
These are awesome. I didn't realize private individuals kept these. How tricky was it to get it up and running? How difficult is it to maintain? I wonder if this is something I'd ever be able to pull off.

The Omaha zoo has a great big tank of these but it took them FOREVER to get it going. They did a big expansion on their aquarium and the jellyfish tank looked like it was empty for a couple years, then there were just a couple in there, then it kind of exploded. Maybe took about 4 years total. Now they've built out their collection to include some sea nettles and a few other types. They're highly trippy to watch.

Here's a picture I found of their tank online. They have the blacklights on them like you do, so you can see them better.

It' doable, but it needs a lot of maintenence and attention to detail. Jellies are super sensitive creatures, therefore needing very strict parameters to maintain, which is relatively hard in this type of tank. Moon jellies require a special tank with a laminar flow, providing a circular motion to keep the jellies from hitting the sides or beinf sucked into an intake. I got my jellies and tank from JellyfishArt. They're pretty good, but jelly care is not as simple as they make it seem. I would reccomend plenty of research, as with any animal, before taking on jellies!
thane likes this.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:38 AM

It's all about slow moving perfect water. They generally need pretty consistent feeding.

The tanks you see in aquariums are usually around $100,000 or more per tank from my rough estimate.

That said, I plan to do one with bioluminescent comb jellies sooner than later.

Many need specific temps that require a chiller.

-Andrew
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 AM

Yes, you can mod a 10 gallon for maybe 30 bucks to keep moons

It is not true they require circular tanks, at least moons. As long as laminar flow is achieved, and they are protected from sharp things and being sucked thru screens. Upside down jellies do fine in even more standard tanks, though maybe not as cool as moons

Much better long term success will be had with larger systems. Enriched brine seems to be the best food...though I would encourage trials with golden pearls...maybe even dispensed w an autofeeder.

1 more benefit to larger systems is the increased chances of reproduction...I think the jellies need to be at least hand sized to be sexually mature. Getting polyps insures a supply of new jellies.

To put the hardiness of jellies into perspective they will survive for weeks in a bucket of seawater just left somewhere. Moons thrive in backwater bays and lagoons which are often fairly polluted and vary widely in salinity and temps. Not as picky about water quality as open ocean critters

Last edited by Dendrobait; 05-25-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 AM

It is not true they require circular tanks, at least moons. As long as laminar flow is achieved, and they are protected from sharp things and being sucked thru screens.

Much better long term success will be had with larger systems. Enriched brine seems to be the best food...though I would encourage trials with golden pearls...maybe even dispensed w an autofeeder.

1 more benefit to larger systems is the increased chances of reproduction...I think the jellies need to be at least hand sized to be sexually mature.

To put the hardiness of jellies into perspective they will survive for days in a bucket of seawater just left somewhere.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:53 AM

Cyclops-EZE is generally considered the best food last I checked.

Much more expensive than what you mentioned though.

Problem with comparing a backwater system and a tank is that things like tds and ammonia aren't generally going to be a problem because you don't saturate it with food every few hours. (This is talking about ones that need high quality food)
Old 05-25-2015, 05:47 PM

Despite copepods being a big part of the diet in the wild the frozen cyclops and the like seem not well digested by jellies...even burning holes in some. For larger specimens a seafood slurry is an option as well. A pretty funny article came out called peanut butter and jellyfish which is worth a read.

Yes in aquaria you have to deal with lots of food waste.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Despite copepods being a big part of the diet in the wild the frozen cyclops and the like seem not well digested by jellies...even burning holes in some. For larger specimens a seafood slurry is an option as well. A pretty funny article came out called peanut butter and jellyfish which is worth a read.

Yes in aquaria you have to deal with lots of food waste.
Yes, one of the hardest parts about keeping this tank is the waste and lack of filters...the jellies require constant feeding and, as a result, constant cleaning.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:

It is not true they require circular tanks, at least moons. As long as laminar flow is achieved, and they are protected from sharp things and being sucked thru screens. Upside down jellies do fine in even more standard tanks, though maybe not as cool as moons

1 more benefit to larger systems is the increased chances of reproduction...I think the jellies need to be at least hand sized to be sexually mature. Getting polyps insures a supply of new jellies.

To put the hardiness of jellies into perspective they will survive for weeks in a bucket of seawater just left somewhere. Moons thrive in backwater bays and lagoons which are often fairly polluted and vary widely in salinity and temps. Not as picky about water quality as open ocean critters
How do you mod a 10 gal to achieve laminar flow? Do you have an article you could link me to or something? I've heard of people modding tanks but I never knew it was that easy!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 PM

I also want to confirm that moon jellies are indeed very hardy... mine survived a couple weeks of extremely high nitrates and oral arms breaking off, now the nitrate levels are stable and their arms have regrown. Their ability to survive and regenerate is impressive.

Last edited by brendan0923; 06-02-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 AM

I got a much different tank early on from the same dude. All I can say is my experience showed he was far more interested in profit than the health of my animals, and had an ugly tendency to blame me for problems caused by the poor design of the tank.

I hope these new ones work better and he's not treating customers the same way.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
I got a much different tank early on from the same dude. All I can say is my experience showed he was far more interested in profit than the health of my animals, and had an ugly tendency to blame me for problems caused by the poor design of the tank.

I hope these new ones work better and he's not treating customers the same way.
Sorry to hear that. So far our experience has been good. They've been willing to help and have been offering good advice, though we have noticed some design flaws, particularly in the filtration, or lack thereof. Without proper filtration in the tank, cleaning becomes very necessary. We are currently dealing with an overabundance of phytoplankton in the tank. This was caused by a nitrite problem, so we had to reduce cleaning a little bit, and now while the nitrite levels are stable, we have to kill off the phytoplankton. It's a lot of work, but if you can dedicate the time and effort, I find these jellies to be worth it!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 AM

Put a background on it just to see what it would look like; not sure if I'm keeping it or not.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2015, 03:34 AM

The tank looks neat. I've seen the jellies at one of the local reef stores. Each time I stand there long enough to attract the attention of the store owner, he ends up talking me out of trying them. They just sound so hard. Maybe it's the constant feeding or water quality that is freaking me out. Is 6 gallons the largest tank they offer? That's only a gallon larger than my mini reef, and it's water chemistry is hard enough to keep up with...
Old 08-26-2015, 06:28 AM

Smile Re: Jellyfish tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardis101 View Post
The tank looks neat. I've seen the jellies at one of the local reef stores. Each time I stand there long enough to attract the attention of the store owner, he ends up talking me out of trying them. They just sound so hard. Maybe it's the constant feeding or water quality that is freaking me out. Is 6 gallons the largest tank they offer? That's only a gallon larger than my mini reef, and it's water chemistry is hard enough to keep up with...
Thanks! Yes, jellies do require a lot of maintenance, as I am figuring out myself. They require constant feeding and water changes to keep them happy. 6 gal is currently the only size Jellyfishart sells, however you can modify regular aquariums to achieve laminar flow. Or, if you've got money to spend, you can go all out and buy a tank complete with a chiller so you can raise pretty much any jelly small enough to fit in the tank, like the ones used in marine bio labs! The water chemistry is one of the more difficult things about keeping jellies for sure. However, I have observed a good deal of hardiness from moon jellies. They have been pretty resilient, and are still going strong. If you do get into jellies, do A LOT of research! It will pay off in the end!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 PM

How To Keep Jellyfish In Aquariums by Chad L. Widmer | 9781604941265 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Here is the book you need. Its probably a good thing for the jellyaquarium gold rush that this stuff is not as widely known...people seem to think that expensive custom setups are required for success.
brendan0923 likes this.