Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 PM

Smile Creating Dart Frog Phone App - Want Suggestions

Hello Fellow Frog Lovers...
I know I dont post here often... but I have been keeping PDFs for a very long time and had an epiphany this morning that I wanted to bounce off of this community. Errr, call it a recollection. First about me and why I should do what I am going to suggest... skip to the next paragraph if you dont care. I am a Lead Software Engineer for mobile app development for a well known IT company. I have a Masters Degree in Software Enginnering, and I teach several software engineering masters classes at a university. I can write mobile apps for iOS (iPhone, iPad, and anything else with an i prefixed on it) and Android. I also have many years of experience developing web applications (errr to some people complicated websites).

I would like to create a phone app for both iOS (iPhone, iPad) and Android that will allow you to both track your frogs care and as a sort of reference (look up information about PDFs). The reason I am asking here is because I would like to know if tracking the care of PDFs is something others do, or if that is just me. Would you use an app to track what frog is in what vivarium? Track what vivariums you have? Would you use it as a general reference? Can you think of something that I havent?

This is actually more difficult to do with frogs because of the unknowns hat we just take for granted. For example if I was to do this for snakes, when you have a pairing, you would record it and know who bred with who, and the offspring would have a well defined family tree. With PDFs it is more of a fuzzy effort... I have a tank with 4 egg feeders... I know that when I pull babies from that tank they had to come from one of the 2 males and 1 of the 2 females (of course sometimes if is way less complicated and you only have 2 frogs).

Here are the things I would like to hear feedback on if you care...
  • iOS or Android
  • What reference info would you want to see... or actually use
  • Would you track tanks?
  • How would you track frogs? Induvidual... like date of birth, death, parents, purchase, notes, sickness... of waste of time?
  • Would you track cultures like fly cultures... remind you when to start them
  • Any other ideas I am missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Creating Dart Frog Phone App - Want Suggestions

It is something I would use once I get my viv up and running. I use a similar idea for tracking my saltwater aquariums - Aquarimate.

It may be nice to also have a section devoted to keeping track of plants as well - species, time of planting, last bloom, etc.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 PM

I would love an app that could show me where a species of frog came from, what animals they live with and some nature information.
Some sort of frog biotope database.

Would be awesome if you could correctly plant and scape a viv accordingly to the boitope were the frogs came from.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 PM

If you made it a website that could be accessed on all devices maybe. I am kind of tired of phone apps though. Most don't work as well as the full websites they are trying to replicate. I am now pretty much in the habit of just forcing desktop websites for almost everything. Plus it widens the audience. Seems like a ton of work to do for a small hobby that will be limited to some devices. Where as a website would work on all devices for everyone and only need to be programmed once. I think thoughtful design of a single website can work well on a computer or phone or just about anything.

I use android but when I want to type a lot or be fast I always get to a PC.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:30 PM

Look to the app Nepy by Davide Baj (2013) - that's a wonderful app for Nepenthes. If you could do something similar for Dendrobatids - I buy it.

Best,

Chuck

Tags
android application, iphone application