Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pubfiction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 02:15 AM

Default Leaving frogs etc. for extended periods

Just curious how you guys deal with this? I will be doing quite a bit of traveling(Wilderness First Responder Cert in San Diego), and the like and so will need to leave the collection for about a week, and additional trips may go for a few days at a time, possibly longer. I've gotten pretty good at moving around with stuff due to the current seasonal nature of work but not sure how you all deal with trips much longer than that. Do folk around here frogsit? I'm fairly comfortable leaving frogs for about a week(since I usually only feed 1x-3x a week anyway) but much longer I think is concerning. I also have bearded pygmys and the main thing with those guys is even with automation of watering it is good for someone to check to insure nothing floods/clogs and throw bean beetles at them.

I'd rather not allow a hobby to get in the way of professional advancement(though hopefully I won't have to make those sacrifices for too long!). I'd appreciate thoughts of people since I've noticed many deploy and the like.

Last edited by Dendrobait; 12-17-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 04:45 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Leaving frogs etc. for extended periods

I think the frogs should be good on their own for a week and a half or so if you give them a good feeding station. Anything longer than that and I would be hesitant to leave them unattended, mostly just in case something goes wrong during your absence. Man, I would have been happy to frog sit if you were still up here

John

Imis, vanzos, variabilis, fants, leucs, tincs, terribs, pumilio
Old 12-17-2014, 05:34 AM

An important aspect of this would be making sure you have a good microfauna population. Maybe add another inch or 2 of ABG and make sure you have lots of leaf litter. And of course you want to avoid over stocked vivariums. But if conditions are right we have heard of people finding frogs alive and well in vivariums that had been abandoned 6 months to a year. The key really is having plenty of space for the frogs which results in plenty of area for microfauna to grow and be foraged on.

In addition it depends on the age of the frogs. Smaller or younger frogs need feeding more often IMO. I left my frogs for over a week and all were fine but a couple of juveniles lost more weight than I liked.
FroggyKnight likes this.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:04 AM

When I know I've got a long trip planned I start a
Bunch of cultures and time their production so that they will be producing while I'm a way. Those cultures I strategically place in the vivs just before I leave so there is automated feeding. I keep up my regular culture schedule so when I get home I have flys. I also beef up the micro fauna in the tanks. Adding extra springs and Isopods with feeding stations. I usually have my mom or a friend who feeding the other creatures at my place check to see there is no flooding. Everything is placed on a timer. Longest I've left my frogs alone was a week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk