Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 12:47 AM

Default The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. I’m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo
Choosing a live amphibian or a reptile as a holiday gift may be a nice gesture, but it is also fraught with potential problems. Please see The Five Best Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts for further cautions and ideas (The 5 Best Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts). General considerations aside, certain species are almost always a bad idea…even when the recipient has some experience. Unfortunately, many of these “bad choices” are promoted as being easy-to-care-for, and indeed all have some very desirable qualities. In the right hands, some can make great, long-lived pets – but, unfortunately, the “right hands” are often few and far between. Read the rest of this article here The 5 Worst Reptiles and Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts | That Reptile Blog
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Mod

Default Re: The 5 Worst Reptiles & Amphibians to Choose as Holiday Gifts

All of them?

It's a personal choice - not a gift.

Also - preparation is needed. Gifts show up and the giver often doesn't have a clue as to the requirements.

s
Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
All of them?

It's a personal choice - not a gift.

Also - preparation is needed. Gifts show up and the giver often doesn't have a clue as to the requirements.

s
I agree, as mentioned. Best, Frank

Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 PM

Dart Poison Frogs, Dendrobates spp., and relatives
"Pinhead crickets and fruit flies, the most easily obtainable foods, are not an adequate long term diet"

Huh really?

and other wild-caught insects are an integral part of their diets.

double really, most posts I have read on here are against collecting from the wild
Old 12-11-2014, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post
"Pinhead crickets and fruit flies, the most easily obtainable foods, are not an adequate long term diet"

Huh really?

double really, most posts I have read on here are against collecting from the wild
Hello,

Here's some further info on precautions needed when using wild-caught insects; we've long used at the Bx Zoo. Best, Frank
Old 12-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post

Huh really?

There was a time when meadow plankton as it was called was said to be essential, I really have never known anyone to collect or use it though (except 1 guy in the keys trying to feed his frogs from fruit piles in his back yard and that was a miserable failure). It's a great but impractical idea not even bringing into the conversation pesticides and unwanted pests in general.
Those people who make the statement dart frogs need wild collected insects I would bet have never kept dart frogs.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpulawski View Post
There was a time when meadow plankton as it was called was said to be essential, I really have never known anyone to collect or use it though (except 1 guy in the keys trying to feed his frogs from fruit piles in his back yard and that was a miserable failure). It's a great but impractical idea not even bringing into the conversation pesticides and unwanted pests in general.
Those people who make the statement dart frogs need wild collected insects I would bet have never kept dart frogs.
Need is subjective, depends on many factors, but I have used wild-caught insects for poison frogs throughout my long career at the Bronx and other zoos (30+ years); cautions re pesticides etc are addressed in the articles linked under "Further Reading". Yes, very impractical and most folks do well w/o...just a "fine point" etc., useful for impulse buyers etc to see.

Tags
gifts