Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 03:47 AM

Default Venom in My Eyes!: Working with Spitting Cobras

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Im a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo
Working with Spitting Cobras has been a fascinating, if sometimes un-nerving, experience. In addition to being able to deliver venom via biting or ejection through the air, Spitting Cobras also have the alertness and speed that is typical of nearly all the worlds 353 Elapid species. On two occasions, Ive had to re-capture a total of 6 escaped Red Spitting Cobras (Naja pallida) once because a man helped his little son to kick in the glass of an exhibit at the Bronx Zoo! (please see article linked below) But despite these incidents, and decades of working closely with related species, the only venom to wind up in my eyes came not from a Spitter, but rather courtesy of a species that cannot spit the Western Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox). Read the rest of this article here Working with Spitting Cobras...and Getting Venom in My Eyes!
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Ive been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place Welcomes Frank Indiviglio | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

Tags
cobras, venomous snakes