Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 03:50 PM
TWI/ASN

Default going to costa rica :D

I'm going on vacation this Sunday and spending a week on the pacific coast just outside of liberia. Can anyone recommend some nice eco-tours, etc. Greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 PM

If you like vulcanos, go to Fortuna and see the Arenal spitting tons of rocks and lava. I thought this to be one of the best things I experienced in 4 weeks of Costa Rica.
If you don`t like vulcanos, go to the Quepos/Dominical area and try to find D.granuliferus. If you`re not successful, there is a place called "frogpond" in Santa Elena/Monteverde were you can see some red granus and one green granuliferus :lol:
For all the others: Costa Rica rocks, go there, see some frogs and enjoy the vacation :wink:

Greetings
Andreas
Old 12-06-2006, 04:45 PM

HMMM... Costa Rica is not a big place, but there are many many places to go. Herp wise, I would take a trip to La Selva Biological Station, for sure the Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center in Guyacon, and Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve. Arenal if you have time Go out looking for stuff at sunrise, sunset, and in the middle of the night. Also some really neat stuff in the Guanacaste province... I was there five months and did not get to see everything. For sure check out the Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center.. and make a donation! They are all about saving frogs.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
TWI/ASN

I love Costa Rica! If you can get there, go to the Osa Peninsula. It is amazing. I've been there twice and am absolutely amazed by the wildlife there. Lots of herps, monkeys, macaws (nothing cooler than seeing a flock of scarlet macaws fly by), and there's reefs around the area, so there's a bit of snorkeling. I'd also say go to La Selva if you can, but that may be a little more difficult to get to since it's big on scientific research and all. There is a ton to see there (lots of pumilio). Manuel Antonio National Park is nice too, but it's very touristy, so you're going to be dealing with crowds and monkeys that like to steal stuff from your backpack. Monteverde is also a place to see. Most people go to see the Quetzal (absolutely gorgeous bird!) but there's a fair amount of herps there. When I went, they were a bit more difficult to find since it's a little cooler there. Unless it's changed since I last went, in the town of Monteverde, they've got a Ranario (frog collection) with a lot of the native species. Go towards dusk if you can, they start calling like mad!

Oophaga pumilio Researcher - 1 New Morph So Far

http://monarchzman.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 12-06-2006, 06:56 PM
TWI/ASN

thanks all for the great leads. I'll be staying in the northern tip of guanacaste. I'm sure there will be plenty to see.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:21 PM
TWI/ASN

Palo Verde is a good spot to visit there. Looooots of wildlife including crocodiles, macaws, tons of water birds, and a plethora of other herps. There's a national park close to the edge of Nicaragua (I want to say it's something like Santa Maria or something like that, I'm not sure on the name) that is supposed to be a good site to see nesting sea turtles, which would be happening around this time of year, I believe.

Oophaga pumilio Researcher - 1 New Morph So Far

http://monarchzman.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchzMan
I love Costa Rica! If you can get there, go to the Osa Peninsula. It is amazing. I've been there twice and am absolutely amazed by the wildlife there. Lots of herps, monkeys, macaws (nothing cooler than seeing a flock of scarlet macaws fly by), and there's reefs around the area, so there's a bit of snorkeling. I'd also say go to La Selva if you can, but that may be a little more difficult to get to since it's big on scientific research and all. There is a ton to see there (lots of pumilio). Manuel Antonio National Park is nice too, but it's very touristy, so you're going to be dealing with crowds and monkeys that like to steal stuff from your backpack. Monteverde is also a place to see. Most people go to see the Quetzal (absolutely gorgeous bird!) but there's a fair amount of herps there. When I went, they were a bit more difficult to find since it's a little cooler there. Unless it's changed since I last went, in the town of Monteverde, they've got a Ranario (frog collection) with a lot of the native species. Go towards dusk if you can, they start calling like mad!
Great Advice!! I highly recomend the Osa Penninsula b/c it is the most remote part of Costa Rica, therefore best wildlife. Also not to mention it is beautiful! Lots of frogs and birds. Where ever you going, go to a waterfall, I found most of my pdfs around them. Also look for tree frogs, they are everywhere. Anyway, have fun!!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:58 PM

Costa Rica is a GREAT place to go see wildlife, and everyone here is giving good suggestions. My favorite place (I've been to Costa Rica twice, most recently on a Tropical Biology summer course) is La Selva Bio Station. I stayed there the first time I went too, which was just a family vacation, so it's not like just students and researchers go there. And there's TONS to see, and the forest is beautiful. But it's kind of a long way from where you'll be if you're staying in Guanacaste. Palo Verde Biological Station (which is also run by the Organization for Tropical Studies like La Selva and Las Cruces Bio Station) is in Guanacaste. There are so many black iguanas there it's ridiculous, and I spent most of my time there trying and failing to catch one! We also had a "herp-catching night" with a Costa Rican herpetologist, who ended up catching a baby croc and letting us students hold it...
Old 12-07-2006, 12:36 AM

I almost got a chance to go to Costa Rica, maybe next year! Our school goes on about 30-40 trips a year to different places around the world, and I originally signed up for Costa Rica, but it was over $2000 :shock: and my parents said they wouldn't pay a penny of it. So I'm going to Alaska instead but I still think that will be a blast. You are so lucky!

Again not one of my more helpful posts :lol: just my whiney self wanting to go :?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 AM

2 words...

Osa Peninsula

:wink:
Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 AM

Since you will be in the area, definitely visit palo verde. You can see so many herps its not funny.. think neotropical rattlesnakes, caimen, crocs, oh so many frogs. Seriously consider the amphibian consevation center in Guyacon though. I swear it is well worth it (like glassfrogs?).

Good lick and I hope you have a great trip. Also make sure you have an excellent light. A hand held spotlight with battery pack is ideal.