Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Identification Forum (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/identification-forum/)
-   -   Sexing Azureiventris (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/identification-forum/73907-sexing-azureiventris.html)

Gnarly 10-02-2011 06:56 PM

Sexing Azureiventris

1 Attachment(s)
I have a trio of azureventris I got back in March of this year, they were about four months out of the water then so that puts them just under a year now. Two if them look almost identical while the third seems a bit fatter, but I can't tell if it's a female or just a fatter frog and my wishful thinking. I haven't heard any calling although my boyfriend swears he's heard them singing softly on a few occasions.
Here is a picture of the one thats a bit bigger and one of the smaller frogs.

botanyboy03 10-02-2011 07:43 PM

Re: Sexing Azureiventris

I know I have at least 1 calling male in my trio, but other than that, I can't tell if I do indeed have a female or not, as I havent even been able to catch him mid call. For whatever reason, this species runs extremely male heavy. I heard my first calling when they were about 4 to 5 month OOW. They tend to call early, and call late, or not at all.

Gnarly 10-02-2011 10:35 PM

I did read they were male heavy, but was hoping I might luck out and find myself with a female. Hopefully you have a female too!
Here's to wishing.

eldalote2 10-03-2011 12:56 AM

I had to separate mine for a day or two to identify each caller. Both males :(. If you find eggs, you have a female!

Gnarly 10-05-2011 04:57 PM

Hmm, anyone else care to weigh in?

cyck22 10-05-2011 05:28 PM

I have two, but havenít heard any calling yet. Iím somewhat uncertain of my frogís ages, but theyíre probably between 3-6 months out of the water. Iíve heard that if you play (on repeat) a sound clip of a calling male sometimes that will get the males to start calling..

mickipedic 10-18-2011 08:32 PM

Mine all started to call around 6 months or so, but not until after I played a recorded call. Trust me, once they start, you'll hear it!

mickipedic 10-18-2011 08:34 PM

If you don't have any calling by spring... we might have to make a trade!