• 1 Post By Pumilo
  • 4 Post By gex23
  • 2 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By gex23
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 2 Post By gex23

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 12:53 PM

Default Oophaga pumilio - is this a pair?

Any indication from pumilio 'interaction' as to sexes? Vid shows a 'sexed' but unproven pair of RFB - one of whom calls constantly.

Or is it just eggs / tads are the only true indication?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2020, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Oophaga pumilio - is this a pair?

The one calling is defenitly a male, as you probably figuered out

But I've seen other males mimic female behaviour like tapping and rubbing the dominant male to avoid conflict.

so eggs are always the best indication to confirm the female sex..
Broseph (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 04:09 PM

@Tijl thanks for that insight.

I'm new to pumilio, and the trio I started with ended up being a pair (male calls constantly, female has been observed transporting tads), plus a third wheel.

I assumed the third wheel was a subordinate female since it never calls and the dominant female sometimes acts aggressively toward it, but now I'll have to watch it for a while after I separate it from the pair before assuming female.

Old 06-26-2020, 05:50 PM

Don't forget males also transport tadpoles sometimes. I caught one of mine on camera 😉

https://youtu.be/PuYXvpnhxzs
Do_Gon and GakiShiga like this.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
The one calling is defenitly a male, as you probably figuered out

But I've seen other males mimic female behaviour like tapping and rubbing the dominant male to avoid conflict.

so eggs are always the best indication to confirm the female sex..
Cheers for clearing that up haha!

He literally calls her for hours on end with no reaction - though they've only been in the tank a few weeks....
Old 07-10-2020, 09:48 AM

Been a couple more weeks now, with both frogs packing weight on, especially the female.

The male calls pretty much from lights on until lights off, but the female seemingly is unmoved by this.

She never seems to move away from, or be intimidated him, just remains uninterested - more interested in chomping springs or being in the leaf litter?

Old 07-10-2020, 05:29 PM

I'm fairly sure this is a 1.1 pair - with a couple of people more experienced than me saying the same...

If that's the case - is it a case if waiting or just the fact that a pair can be incompatible?

I ask as the Rio Branco male I added to my 2 females has already has produced a clutch and tadpoles and was added the same time as the RFB pair.....
Old 07-17-2020, 02:11 PM

Another couple of weeks have passed and I notice the male occupies the upper part of the tank exclusively whilst the female spends equal amounts of times on the floor as well as other levels of the tank.

The male calls very often throughout the day and especially when he spots her - it's him that follows her and she moves away whilst displaying no interest in his courtship behaviour.

They're putting a bit of bulk on and with heavy feeding and good supplement regime (Ranarium), maybe she needs time? Or, as i'm incraesingly suspecting, it's a subdominant male?

Old 07-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gex23 View Post
Another couple of weeks have passed and I notice the male occupies the upper part of the tank exclusively whilst the female spends equal amounts of times on the floor as well as other levels of the tank.

The male calls very often throughout the day and especially when he spots her - it's him that follows her and she moves away whilst displaying no interest in his courtship behaviour.

They're putting a bit of bulk on and with heavy feeding and good supplement regime (Ranarium), maybe she needs time? Or, as i'm incraesingly suspecting, it's a subdominant male?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEmsFgSmnk4
If a male is alone in a tank will they still call? If you moved out your suspected subdominant male into their own temporary enclosure, would he start calling? If he did you would clearly know 'his' sex. I don't know the answers to these questions just throwing out some thoughts that hopefully are helpful.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
If a male is alone in a tank will they still call? If you moved out your suspected subdominant male into their own temporary enclosure, would he start calling? If he did you would clearly know 'his' sex. I don't know the answers to these questions just throwing out some thoughts that hopefully are helpful.
Luckily i'm building another couple of pumilio enclosures, so once complete i'll have the facility to separate these and see if it's a subdominant male or not.

A couple of things however :

- I've read that, even in a separate enclosure, some subdominant males won't call if they can here the other males of their locale calling - so separating might not tell me 100% the sex.

- Disturbing the frog and moving, will cause stress and unsettle him / her when the aim is to make them feel as comfortable as possible, as it may be she's either not sexually mature or still settling in - moving 'her' will have the opposite effect.

Just thinking aloud.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:47 PM

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote:
Luckily i'm building another couple of pumilio enclosures, so once complete i'll have the facility to separate these and see if it's a subdominant male or not.

A couple of things however :

- I've read that, even in a separate enclosure, some subdominant males won't call if they can here the other males of their locale calling - so separating might not tell me 100% the sex.

- Disturbing the frog and moving, will cause stress and unsettle him / her when the aim is to make them feel as comfortable as possible, as it may be she's either not sexually mature or still settling in - moving 'her' will have the opposite effect.

Just thinking aloud.
Other times, the exact opposite is true. I purchased a pair of captive bred escudo that had been raised together. Only one ever called, and no aggresion had ever been witnessed. My box of frogs arrived. I pulled them out, and put each one into a 32 oz deli cup with a bit of sphagnum, while I took care of something in the home they were destined to go in. Less than 10 minutes out of the box, they both began calling frantically, then began flinging themselves at the plastic walls of the deli cups, trying to get at each other. It looked like 2 guys in a bar fight, barely able to be held back by their less intoxicated friends.
Sexed in under 10 minutes. Not bad, eh? Except for the fact that I had 2 males, one vivarium prepped, and no females.

Don't forget about the option of putting the confirmed male into a temporary home for an hour, or a week. Take him into another part of the house. Wrapping a blanket around his viv for a while, will help to muffle his calls more.
Androgynoid likes this.
Old 07-18-2020, 04:44 AM

In my experience if the male is calling hard all the time, you have two males. When you have a pair and the male gets close to the female, he tones down the call a bit and sometimes just makes soft chirps.

If you have a known female, take out the suspected female and put the two in a large deli cup (like a 6" or 9") with nothing but moist sphagnum and maybe 1 film canister. IME, if it is a subordinate male, he will be calling within a half hour.

When I have 2 or 3 unsexed young adults, I will put all of them in with a known female. I usually have calling within a couple minutes. I take the caller out and within a few more minutes another will be calling and so on. Only rarely do I have two calling at the same time. If I have one that never calls and looks female-ish I assume that it is a female, but I never sell it as one until she lays eggs.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:07 PM

Split them up a few hours ago, leaving the male in the original tank and the unsexed one in a plant growout sterilite container.

No calling from either one so far...
Old 07-18-2020, 05:58 PM

Moved 'her' back in to the main tank as the plant growout was a bit bare and didn't want to cause undue stress.

No calling from her when seperated.

And the male stopped calling until she was re-introduced also.

So none the wiser.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
In my experience if the male is calling hard all the time, you have two males. When you have a pair and the male gets close to the female, he tones down the call a bit and sometimes just makes soft chirps.
With regards the type of calls he makes - I notice he (generally) only calls when catches sight of her - and also when close to her the calls are sometimes a little shorter and softer - I caught it in this video :

Old 07-19-2020, 11:23 AM

If you happen to have 2 males and the one not calling is mimicing a female, the calling male still acts normal since he gets tricked.. So you can't base annything on his call.

You say experienced frogs keepers these are a pair, but this is realy a 50/50 guess.. 😄

There is never a way to be sure just by sexing them on how they look.. I've seen enough males that everyone would claim to be female just by the shape of the frogs..

Time and patience will be your best and only friend in this case. I sugguest not to seperate them and leave them alone for a while.. Stop disturbing them and let them acclimate for at least 3-4 months before you start doing stuff in their tank.

If you happen to have tadpoles and you seperate them, the 'possible' is female is not able to take care of them. So it's back to square one and you still have 0 confirmation.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:46 PM

Beautiful frogs! Where did you get them?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 PM

Update

I was busy adding new bromeliads to this tank and removing / cleaning / replacing others at the same time.

One neoregelia in particular, whilst removed, was shook to remove the old water and loose algae and out this popped :

Bar constant calling from the male, i've seen relatively little interaction (with them staying on opposite levels of the tank), breeding behaviour least of all eggs!

Suffice to say I was shocked!

I suppose I can now suggest I have a 1.1 pair
The Following User Says Thank You to gex23 For This Useful Post:
fishingguy12345 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Mod

My money is on this being a pair.

Mark
baskis and Androgynoid like this.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
My money is on this being a pair.

Mark
Was that before or after you read the last post?
Androgynoid likes this.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:40 PM
Mod

Quote:
Was that before or after you read the last post?
It was so after! Anybody that has dealt with me in the frog arena before knows that I am legendary in my inability to sex any frogs. I am getting better with Tincs, though! :-)

Mark
Androgynoid likes this.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
It was so after! Anybody that has dealt with me in the frog arena before knows that I am legendary in my inability to sex any frogs. I am getting better with Tincs, though! :-)

Mark
I've just about nailed sexing dogs.....

Getting there
Encyclia and Androgynoid like this.