Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Default Help ID species

Bought them as D. auratus chocolate and i want to confirm that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Help ID species

Welcome to the board!

There is no way to get an accurate ID on morph. You would need to check in with the breeder and get line information to know for sure. This is why we have to be careful who we buy from. I assume you are new to the hobby, but it would be a good idea to ask these kinds of questions before purchasing. Pretty frog, though!

Mark
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the welcoming

I've been keeping 2 D. auratus green since last December and bought these 4 and 4 E. tricolor this June at a reptile show in Spain.

Wasnt aware there are morphs (except albinism) regarding dart frogs and had the idea that there was only diferent species/sub species/locality.

This is that tank i build for the E. tricolor

Old 11-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Great tank! Sorry, my use of the term morph is probably sloppy :-) There is not much talk of sub-species in dart frogs. Locale is a much better word but only applies if you know where the frogs were collected. This may not describe all of the different options for kinds of frogs out there, especially some frogs that have been in the hobby for a long time and never had good locale information associated with them. This is the same situation for frogs produced by artificial selection (fine-spot leucomelas? chocolate leucomelas?). I just use "morph" to cover any grouping that occurs below species. Again, it's probably a sloppy practice, but it is better than having to write "species/locale/line/whatever" each time I write :-) Maybe I should use a different word or go with "species/locale/line/whatever" instead!

Regardless, it is notoriously difficult to tell based on appearance what some kind of frog it is. There are lots of different genetic (and even environmental or husbandry) situations that can give rise to frogs of extremely similar appearance. Without knowing the origins of a frog, you don't have enough information to assign a frog to any particular grouping. That's what I meant to say :-)

Mark
Old 11-07-2019, 04:06 PM

Yes, i completly understood now what you meant.

The same way Morelia viridis were being told apart regarding their locality and were classified all as the same species.

I'll try to get ahold of the breeder and see if he can explain it to me how they are classified

Thanks for your input
Old 11-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Looks a lot like my Ancon Hill Auratus. But, as Encyclia says, no way to tell for sure.

www.woods-haunter-darts.com
Old 11-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Great tank! Sorry, my use of the term morph is probably sloppy :-) There is not much talk of sub-species in dart frogs. Locale is a much better word but only applies if you know where the frogs were collected.
I'm under the impression that 'morph' as it refers to darts is short for 'morphologically distinct naturally occurring* population'. If this is true, then 'locale' is a different concept, and both terms are useful.

Interestingly, in the larger herp hobby, 'morph' means 'a visually distinct animal in which that distinction is either the function of a single gene or is a heritable and relatively stable line-bred trait. What we call 'morph' here would usually be called 'phase' (e.g. 'blairs phase gray band kingsnake') by the rest of the herp hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
frogs produced by artificial selection (fine-spot leucomelas? chocolate leucomelas?).
Yes on the chocolate; fine spot leucs, though, are a naturally occurring morph from Venezuela. (*We call chocolate leucs a 'morph', I guess, but I'm going to make sure I qualify that by saying 'selectively bred morph' or something)

- Whitman
Old 11-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Raven, do you happend to have any photo of them?
Would love to see and compare them to mine