Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Identification Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2019, 03:21 AM

Default Isopod ID

So I was going through our isopod cultures at work, and noticed these guys in a tub labeled dwarf white. The first picture is of the substrate and there are very small white isopods mixed in, maybe the size of a fruit fly. The second and third picture shows these much larger steely gray isopods. They are about the same size as the powder oranges. So what are these gray ones? Too big to be dwarfs? Mature dwarf whites? I'm at a loss, and its driving me nuts. Are the small white ones the immature version of the large gray ones? Thanks for the help
Jeff.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Qm6G6w7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Isopod ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drthsideous View Post
So I was going through our isopod cultures at work, and noticed these guys in a tub labeled dwarf white. The first picture is of the substrate and there are very small white isopods mixed in, maybe the size of a fruit fly. The second and third picture shows these much larger steely gray isopods. They are about the same size as the powder oranges. So what are these gray ones? Too big to be dwarfs? Mature dwarf whites? I'm at a loss, and its driving me nuts. Are the small white ones the immature version of the large gray ones? Thanks for the help
Jeff.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Qm6G6w7
Isopod identification from a fairly blurry picture is not going to be overly accurate.

My best guess is that the darker/larger Isopods are Porcellionides pruinosus "powder blue" and the smaller white ones are either their young, or the dwarf white Isopods. Could easily have been that they got cross contaminated (using the same tools makes a potential to contaminate cultures).
Old 10-27-2019, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the ID, glad I'm not crazy.