Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Health & Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM

Default Force feeding and short tongue syndrome

My R benedicta are really shy and I don’t see them up close very often because they perform magic and disappear. I did catch them this morning though and noticed a skinny one lunging at a springtail. It’s mouth wasn’t opening and it was just following it.

It looks emaciated. I dust w rephashy vit A every other week. I’ve read Ed’s comments about tube feeding and a patient timeline while STS is corrected w vit A.

This young Ranitomeya is tiny. I’m wondering all the logistics of scale. Using a credit card seems too big to open the mouth. Provided I use like a guitar pick to slide between the jaw, would you push lower jaw down or turn and separate? Then put a dusted springtail in there once or twice everyday?

I’m going to separate it out today into a small shoebox it can be caught easily to facilitate feeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Force feeding and short tongue syndrome

The whole idea is to use the minimum manipulation necessary to achieve getting nourishment into subject.

I never try to "keep the mouth open" but create a part as unobtrusively as possible to insert a dosing stem then a swipe to tip, or chunk of waxworm meat, pushed gently in (my preference with tiny subjects w great success over many years so please ive no gas to debate it)

The distance is very short with frogs, but if a significant portion is in buccal it is often spat out. So i like to get it in the gullet, w all herps it is a follow thru supra or "along the roof".

Assist feeding is meant to provide caloric support, food energy, along w supportive husbandry and stress reduction to induce voluntary feeding.

Do not over do it. If there is organ suppression *Kidneys, Liver, you will lose your frog with too much work.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

I do not know what you’re referencing with ‘dosing stem’ if you could help me there.

Thank you for your shared experience. It did not occur to me to use something easier inserted and higher calorie than a fly or springtail. I have access to house fly larvae that seem equivalent to wax worm as far as small chunks are concerned.

Noted on not over doing supplements if the frog is already distressed.

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

Like every tool we take in hand, familiarity with it is our dearest friend.

I have come to use bulb tipped dosing needles - not just for dosing but to irrigate, push food items, even remove fecal, pus and sperm plugs.

The lack of flexibility is of good control benefit in Some circumstances.

In your situation, before you embark, it would do no harm to try a delicate barrier/corral strategy in the environment, as you inform the frog has a feeding response.

Perhaps some chilled food items, moving slower, in the space with the frog.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

If you are really going to do this - a guitar pick will leave you no visual or workable field.

I made a post about using a butlers gum stimulator somewhere here, but i believe it was for a larger sp. Some finessing of the tool, which has a rather stiff alloy of plastic/rubber on the operating end, is necessary.

A tuberculin syringe plunger - black rubber stopper cut at a 45 degree angle would be a potential helpmate, no further modifications required. Plus your fingers will be at a good tactile distance.

I actually have a photo of such on my Flickr. Which is a collection of husbandry documentive record. Not good photography. I am a Tarzan at social media and the counterintuitive arts of cyber communication otherwise I would offer the pic but it's just a syringe plunger cut cleanly at an angle - for the purpose you describe.

But again, I think you should encourage the voluntary pick up of slower feeders first.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 PM

House fly larvae can be Excellent.

All Earth's Diptera = unheralded Angels.
Old Today, 12:51 AM

Today was my normal feeding and it was trying to go after a few flies but still the same issue of just head butting the fly. I got a new sterile pipette and will cut up a maggot and add a little water so that the pipette can deliver it a little easier than shoving a writhing melanogaster/springtail in its mouth.

Now if I can catch it!