Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Health & Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 02:08 AM

Default Bicolor Nose issue

I can't tell if this little guy had this prior during shipment or has since developed this being in the vivarium. It looks like the end of his nose is missing and don't know if it's related to bumping nose in shipping or in tank or disease related
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190706-193305_Gallery_1562461649149.jpg (31.3 KB, 28 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Bicolor Nose issue

This looks like he bumped his nose.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Any suggestions on treatment? Like Silver, Triple Antibiotics?

Old 07-07-2019, 05:17 PM

My terribilis have had the same problem. I have done nothing about it back then and just let it heal. I did not want to give them more stress
Old 07-08-2019, 04:53 PM

ime my bicolors are by far the most flighty and skittish of all my frogs. They bang their face a lot. I have had frogs with scapes and they healed on their own but im sure there are treatments if you look for them.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:42 PM

This looks similar to an issue I had with grey tree frogs years ago. I had them in a screen cage (I believe it was fiberglass screen), and they were rubbing their noses raw on it.

If you have some fiberglass or metal screen easily accessible that you see them interacting with regularly (if it is just a vent that they never touch, it's probably not the issue), you may want to prevent their access to that screen first.

Independent of the cause of the injury, I used Neosporin on my frogs to heal them. Grey tree frogs are much more friendly to handling, so periodic application wasn't an issue. I would only use Neosporin if you think the nose isn't healing well, as it may be worth the stress on your frog at that point.

Aside - I've used Neosporin on my frogs many times in the past. It always surprises me how effectively it allows them to heal by reducing the effort their body requires to fight off an infection.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:38 AM

Please note that if you use Neosporin, be certain to use the one that does NOT have pain reliever (anesthetic) in it.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 PM

If you can get a hold of it, Baush&Lomb has an ophthalmic version of Neomycin ointment that is more compatible with amphibian skin. Its non hydrophobic vehicle base is better because of it - plus you can use it for eye injuries.

It is good to determine if any ointment is actually needed, - before applying an antibiotic. If the natural heal has already layered over, even thinly as is often the case with amphibians, an ointment can impart unneeded fragility to the lesion site and suprainfection and fungal secondary complications are a risk.

Ophthalmic Neosporin is less likely to soften this important cellular barrier.

I order a new tube (its pretty tiny 1/8 oz) to make sure I have a fresh one for emergencies, every 6 months, whether the prior tube was ever opened or not.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:34 AM

The injury has excellent margins, if he doesnt re-injure, become stressed and eats there is a great chance of recovery. Dont be tempted to put More FF in just because you want him to eat. I dont know if you would or not, Im just saying.

I use all my surplus Ophth Neo for my own regular cuts and scrapes. It doesnt go to waste.