Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By varanoid
  • 2 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By PhylloBro
  • 1 Post By Ravage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 AM

Default Strange cut/mark - please help

Just noticed this very strange mark it looks like a cut but it’s blue I haven’t had dart frogs for that long so I have never encountered a mark like this and I’m concerned about it. Can anyone tell me what this is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Strange cut/mark - please help

Does it look the same after 24hrs?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macg View Post
Does it look the same after 24hrs?
I will update today. I hope nothing is wrong.. :[ i would hate for him to scar or something he is my most "minty" mint !

Old 03-20-2019, 02:19 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if it is a small abrasion, it will likely heal up and you will never know the difference. I had a p terribilis I got come in with a very noticeable abrasion, much more noticeable than yours, on it's snout. It healed up entirely after a couple months.
Encyclia and PhylloBro like this.
PhylloBro (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 PM

I'm with varanoid. This will probably heal up (but if it gets worse, you probably ought to get the frog to a vet). I will say that of my frogs, my mint terribs are the most inclined to get wounds like this. They are just so reckless in their feeding behavior that if anything happens to be in their way, they will collide with it hard. It seems to be a part of their personality. I doubt it has anything to do with how you are keeping them, in case you were worried about that.

Mark
varanoid and PhylloBro like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
PhylloBro (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I'm with varanoid. This will probably heal up (but if it gets worse, you probably ought to get the frog to a vet). I will say that of my frogs, my mint terribs are the most inclined to get wounds like this. They are just so reckless in their feeding behavior that if anything happens to be in their way, they will collide with it hard. It seems to be a part of their personality. I doubt it has anything to do with how you are keeping them, in case you were worried about that.

Mark
I was so thank you that means a lot. As for an update the mark looks almost the same i couldnt get a picture but the size is the same and it still appears sort of blue. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt get worse but i totally get what you mean about them being reckless. One of my orange teribs smashed his face on cork bark trying to get to where i dumped the flies. They are like a hungry pack of wolves sometimes !
Encyclia likes this.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhylloBro View Post
I was so thank you that means a lot. As for an update the mark looks almost the same i couldnt get a picture but the size is the same and it still appears sort of blue. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesnt get worse but i totally get what you mean about them being reckless. One of my orange teribs smashed his face on cork bark trying to get to where i dumped the flies. They are like a hungry pack of wolves sometimes !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post

Mark
Their feeding response is crazy! Kamikaze style. Even crazier with the crickets I give them as a treat every once in a while.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 PM

I was noticing the blue in the original pics as well. I think that means it only went a couple of layers through the skin and not all the way through. You are seeing below the upper pigment layer.
My terribs have that characteristic terribilis stance: they look like little bulldogs. They act like little bulldogs too.
If it scars you could just get it a little spiked collar to complete the "look".
PhylloBro likes this.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 AM

On the topic of amphibian skin damage, I have used triple-antibiotic ointment (neosporin) to heel a number of my amphibians over the years very effectively.

For example, I kept a lot of gray tree frogs and squirrel tree frogs as a kid. At one point, I made a screen cage outside (7ftx7ftx8ft) with all sorts of plants (it was my masterpiece) to keep a bunch of gray tree frogs I caught. After a little while, I realized all the gray tree frogs were getting irritated/torn skin on their noses. My conclusion was that the screen of the cage was causing the irritation.

I immediately let go those that didn't have major skin damage, but I kept one that was pretty severe (moving her into the glass terrarium indoors). Neosporin healed her up; however, she did have a bit of scar. Thus she was christened, scarface.

Conclusion: If you're in a bind, and you need to heal skin damage on a frog yourself, I would suggest trying an antibiotic ointment. Every amphibian I used it on healed (except one that was hit by a car that we sutured; it was just too beaten up).