Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Nutritional deficiencies ......how late is to late?

I am morhing my first retic and it looks like it might be stricken with sls. And I started thinking about frogs that have faced major nutritional problems and if it can damage a frogs breeding quality for the rest of its life. For instance you hear of people rescuing frogs from pet stores that are very skinny and sick and most likely were not given the right suplimentation while in there care. Or people who have frogs that became sick and will not eat for long periods of time. Or the beginner who didnt adequatley feed and or supliment there froglets or adults.

Is it easy for frogs in these situations to suffer internal damage and deficiencies that will follow them there entire lives and cause them to produce bad eggs and froglets or can these frogs be turned around with proper care into great breeders?

This is my 2nd retic tad about to come out of the water so I dont think this is the issue with my frog. I just got me thinking. I have a feeling it has more to do with the fact that its there first few tads coming out and it will take a little time.
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2006, 06:28 AM

What are you using for you're tad water?
My first frogs to breed (six-point auratus) had been housed in a dry, screen top 10 in a pet shop, where they were trying to feed them full grown crickets and full grown waxworms :shock: ...they had been kept like that for at least 5 months...don't know how they survived.
Around a month after I had them, they started laying regular clutches, the eggs never went bad, the froglets morphed with no SLS whatsoever.
Unless you're frogs are super skinny, I'd focus on you're water to fix the SLS.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:14 PM

i had been told sls is uncureable and euthanasia would be the only way to ensure no other frogs would get it

Old 01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Administrator

fitzy14 , yes it is not curable after it has happened, but actions can be taken to keep it from happening with future clutches. You also may still get good froglets out of the same clutch that had some with SLS.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:11 PM

o, guess my info was wrong. I didnt know that. Thnx
Old 01-27-2006, 02:25 PM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts

SLS is typically a nutritionally issue that in the vast majority of cases probably originated with the adults but is typically corrected by adjusting the tadpole diet. This does not mean that there cannot or is not a genetic component in some cases of SLS.

Once a tadpole demonstrates SLS, it is too late for that frog, and contrary to many people's opinon, SLS can present in varying degrees depending on the amount of developmental disruption (such as thin but functional front legs).
There are also other possible nutritional issues that once deformation occurs, the frog is going to be permanently affected such as bone deformation from "MBD" however there are other nutritional deficiencies that are reversiable provided intensive care is attempted such as Sticky tongue syndrome (hypovitaminosis of A).

Ed