Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Green Legged Lamasi

Are everyone elses Green Legged Lamasi extremely prolific? My first tadpole hatched and was put in the water 2 days ago. His 2 clutchmates unfortnately half developed and then slowly died. Their next cluth of three looks like they'll hatch around thursday or friday, and i found a new clutch of 4 today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2005, 03:16 AM

GL lamasi are reputed to be the best breeders (maybe easier or more prolific?) compared to standard and panguana. I can't speak for GL but my panguana quartet is pretty active...regularly laying and now that I'm giving them places to put them, depositing tads while continuing to lay. It's not clear that they are feeding the deposited tads though but the tads are thriving due to drowned FFs and such. I was planning on moving the group from a 15 high to a 37 to give them a lot more room but I'm hesitating because I don't want to disrupt their breeding. Nice dilemma to have I suppose.

Good luck with the GL.

Bill
Old 12-20-2005, 04:00 AM

Hi Bill,
moving the panguana lamasi will only interrupt them VERY breifly. We recently moved our group to new accomodations, and they took a 3 week break. One thing we have noticed is that the tadpoles the adults raise the froglets morph out very small and a lot of them have SLS. On the other hand when we pull the tads and raise them we have no problems at all.
Good luck with them, they are a lot of fun!
Cindy Dicken
Vivarium Concepts
http://www.vivariumconcepts.com
http://www.rainforesthabitats.com
http://www.texasdartfrogs.org

Old 12-20-2005, 12:58 PM

Cindy,

Thanks for the benefit of your experience. I've also wondered about the size/quality question as well with the tads growing up in the viv. I have tads from this group that I'm raising myself so I may have a head to head comparison soon enough. At least that will give the 37 more time to grow in before I move them.

Bill
Old 12-20-2005, 02:48 PM

i've got my pair of GLs in only a 10 tall that i didn't intend to be their permanent home, only a temp tank. but like bill i don't want to move them if they are breeding well.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:48 PM

What size breeding groups are people keeping their gl lamasi in? I'm interested in larger groups, is anyone doing this?
Old 12-23-2005, 02:03 AM

My group of four (ratio undetermined) of green legged lamasi is going like gangbusters! Ive already got two tads about three weeks out of the water and nine more in various stages of development. I keep the adults in a 10 gallon tank heavily planted (ok, choked) with creeping fig, water in the front and three film canisters scattered about. All water sources are used for the deposition of the tads. I hear them all the time but rarely get more than a glimpse...
My Panguana, of similar age, have yet to get a clue about this reproduction thing. No big deal-- being more bold, I get to enjoy their fantastic coloration (see my gallery SMenigoz).
No comparison (yet) to the standard lamasi. As soon as I rob a bank, I can afford to purchase one or two... :roll: