No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By goof901
  • 1 Post By jdooley195

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 AM

Default Moving 10 hours

So I am moving from Illinois to South Dakota. I want to get my darts before I go away in August at a reptile swap vs having them shipped and just have a few questions. If i get them in mid july around the 20th or so and then move around the 2nd week of august, what should i do with my frogs during the move? just leave them in the tank and let them be? I remember reading about a shorter move but i just ask since its going to be anywhere from 10-12 hours drive in August. I dont know what kind of car we will have but it will most likely be a Penske truck or something of that sort so the tank will have to stay in the back of the truck. I will be able to make sure the tank wont move but what shall i do with the frogs? Id rather not wait till i get out there to order them only because i dont want to pay such an expensive shipping fee for just a few frogs when i can get them locally for much cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Moving 10 hours

I, personally, would just wait and buy the frogs to save them some stress. However, if you are determined to do this, this is what i would do. I would NOT put the frogs in the viv until you get to your new house because that would be your quarantine. On the drive, i would keep them in a froglet container and put it in the passenger seat and try to keep the temps between 70-80 degrees. If that cannot be done, then get some Phase 22 and a coolor and put the froglet container in with the activited Phase 22.
BR5, jeeperrs, frogface and 1 others like this.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof901 View Post
I, personally, would just wait and buy the frogs to save them some stress. However, if you are determined to do this, this is what i would do. I would NOT put the frogs in the viv until you get to your new house because that would be your quarantine. On the drive, i would keep them in a froglet container and put it in the passenger seat and try to keep the temps between 70-80 degrees. If that cannot be done, then get some Phase 22 and a coolor and put the froglet container in with the activited Phase 22.
alright, that seems pretty do-able. as for the quarantine container how big would you reccomend? and if im getting, say 5 frogs should they be seperate or together if i get them all at the same time from same buyer.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:46 AM

I would have to agree with goof901 I would put them in a cooler with a phase 22 panel, You wouldn't want the tank to break accidentally and your frogs go everywhere.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 AM

Yeah lol that wouldn't be good.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:06 PM

I just made a 2-day move recently and here's what worked...

I had to rent a bigger trailer for all my stuff and devoted my truck strictly to frogs and light items. Tanks went securely in the back so there'd be no glass breaking. All the frogs (barely!) went in the cab with me (backseat, floors, and front seat) in rubbermaid type tubs. Within those tubs was just wet soil and cocohut type covers. I monitored the temp the entire way placing the thermometer on the highest container assuming this would be warmest. I did my best to keep the temps at the low 70's. I brought them all in the motel with me when I stopped, and put them back in when I left. It worked, I lost no frogs...two tads though (the road was waaay too rough plus the trailer bouncing). On the way, my pair did lay four eggs which are all tads now!

My advice to you is this...

If you can keep them in sight and physically see/read the temp every so often ...do it.

If the frogs are all young and same species, put them in one container with a cocohut or two. Ensure the inside is moist (including soil) and the container itself is secure.

Size wize...I used the 14qt and 32qt size. If it was me with five small frogs I'd do one "shoebox" size (14qt) container because the trip is not that far.

Adults and or different species I'd separate just to be cautious about bullying or shy frogs getting stressed out.

Good luck!

Tommy
jeeperrs likes this.
Pacblu202 (06-15-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 PM

Oh! And THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!!! Don't leave them in an uncontrolled temperature environment for more than a few minutes...I stopped to gas up, use the restroom and buy a soda and saw mid 80's temps by the time I was on the road again. So if you stop for lunch or a long stay at a rest area or something, keep it in mind.

Tommy
Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 AM

well, seeing as I'm a South Dakota resident, and aside from two metro areas, we are an extremely sparse state, I'm assuming you are relocating to one of 'those' areas..a state that runs on 'local gossip' (telegraph, telephone, tell a neighbor)..fire off an email when you relocate and get settled..always a port in a storm (heck, you may need FF's, and Sioux Falls was 'out' of them when I was there last week).....Gary
Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 AM

Where are you at! I'm not far from Sioux falls! I'll be in Madison.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:11 AM

I'm north of Madison; google up 'Hartford Beach State Park', I live inside the park boundries..a retired,longtime discus fish breeder with sidelines in orchids and frogs...aside from too many parrots....Gary email orcaboat at sbcglobal dot net....Gary
Old 08-13-2012, 03:26 AM

Well tomorrow is the big day! I came into a lot I tanks for free and because of that have more frogs then the original 5 hahah I have little containers for them and am going to put them in a cooler so that when we stop they are right at my side. I have a count of 22 frogs now. I'm not driving so I'll be monitoring them periodically through out the trip and have a phase22 that's going in the cooler. They will be in the truck with me so they don't get too hot.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM

Good luck with your move...Sounds like you have a good plan for the frogs.
sent from my Galaxy S lll
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Yup, they are all in a cooler and temps are at 68-78 from point A-B so there should be no worries. It's a bit rainy even with no sun at all so temps are going to be no problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 PM

I just did the same from San Diego to Northern California and didn't have a problem. I did get funny looks when I walked into the bathroom, set my frogs (in a Tupperware) by the sink and proceeded to use the facilities. They all survived and the male was calling within an hour of being re-released!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM
TWI/ASN

Update?? How did the move go? You couldn't have had better weather for your move yesterday.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Great weather. They held a steady 70 the entire way and only got up to about 76/77 when we stopped for a little while at a gas station. We weren't able to get into the house till today so they are still in there containers but will out with in the next few hours and fed.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:20 PM

welcome to South Dakota!..I've been away myself for a few weeks, or I'd offer ya a cup 'o bugs or something....Gary
Old 08-14-2012, 09:45 PM

Thanks Gary! I have no way of getting up there right now. I didnt bring a car up, it's too much of a junker and wouldn't probably even make it.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 PM

I'm doing something similar, except it's a much longer move with much less frogs. It's going to be from L.A. to Cheyenne, WY. I will only have a pair of azureus and maybe some leucs (if the deal falls through) plus a few tinc tads. My plan is very similar to yours, and hopefully the weather will be the same too!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:25 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog dude View Post
I'm doing something similar, except it's a much longer move with much less frogs. It's going to be from L.A. to Cheyenne, WY. I will only have a pair of azureus and maybe some leucs (if the deal falls through) plus a few tinc tads. My plan is very similar to yours, and hopefully the weather will be the same too!
L.A. to Cheyenne? That's gonna be some culture shock, and I'm not talking about ff's lol
Old 08-15-2012, 04:29 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacblu202 View Post
Great weather. They held a steady 70 the entire way and only got up to about 76/77 when we stopped for a little while at a gas station. We weren't able to get into the house till today so they are still in there containers but will out with in the next few hours and fed.
Good to hear the move is going good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog dude View Post
I'm doing something similar, except it's a much longer move with much less frogs. It's going to be from L.A. to Cheyenne, WY.
Yeah, huge difference! Atleast you'll have a cool rodeo to go to....Cheyenne Frontier Days. I went to one in WY a while back, pretty interesting crowd!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Shackleford View Post
L.A. to Cheyenne? That's gonna be some culture shock, and I'm not talking about ff's lol

It doesn't matter what the culture is like, I'm sure the move is going to shock my cultures!

I know somebody who lived in WY, and she's warned me more then a few times about how big of change it is going to be. I belive her. I am ready. :determined:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian317 View Post
Yeah, huge difference! Atleast you'll have a cool rodeo to go to....Cheyenne Frontier Days. I went to one in WY a while back, pretty interesting crowd!
I know! I can't wait for my first Wyoming rodeo! I went to one in pomona last year, but it wasn't very big.

Tags
frogs, moving, tank, truck