No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MPepper
  • 1 Post By

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Perspectives on the Hobby

In light of the recent events on dendroboard, i got to thinking about why it is we keep frogs, and on my experiences in the hobby as a hobbiest and as a vendor. Im usually to busy for too much introspection and contemplation, but found myself doing both this morning. i dont intend to sound preachy and only hope some of us can take away something positive from this post.

Its seems that the pending pumilio shipment has grabbed the hobby by the troat and worked it into a frenzy. Its exciting, i have dreamed of getting blue and green pumilio since seeing a pic when Pumilio.com first published their sight, but i wont be getting any from this shipment, thats ok, there will likely be others, and if not, other cool frogs will come around sooner or later. My point is, this is supposed to be fun, and it doesnt seem fun if we take it too seriously, and get caught up in fighting and bickering, and argueing This hobby is in my opinion as much about forming friendships as it is about collecting and breeding frogs. Because of this I have made friends all over canada, the US, Germany, Peru... and would never had the same oppurtunity if it were not for the frog hobby. The internet is an amazing resource for us as a group to use collectively to further our knowledge, help people out, and obviously find lots of frogs along the way. But take my word on this, if you focus more on the friendship than the frogs, the frogs will find you, even the pumilios and the thumbnails. as the best way to get frogs is trading with your friends, or working together to aquire different species you are mutally interest in, then work out trades along the way (others have mentioned this many times before for, but i thought it could be mentioned again)As cliche as this is the frogs will only live for genrally 8 to 10 years, while friendships may last far longer than that.

i often get asked by other Canadian froggers to describe my perception of the frog hobby in the US. Usuallu i say its getting pretty big, but Competitive is another word i use to describe it, not competive so much in terms of the dealers, but amongst the general hobby. Now competition is good to a certain extent, as it pushes the hobby to grow, expand, and to garner more info, but then it gets to a point where it can become somewhat cancerous if people get a little high strung and start taking offence to differing opinions, focusing too much on the next aquisition rather than the means through which they are attempting to aquire it by. Anyways what i am getting at is that i think it may be in everyones best interest to take a step back and remember why you got into frogs in the first place. I have said this before, and i will say it again here, and that is that all you Americans froggers are so lucky to have as large and devoted frog keeping community as you do, and to have soooo many species and morphs readily available to you, and we are all lucky to have dendroboard. I often wonder what the hobby would be like without resources like dendroboard and frognet, these are truly invaluable and should never be taken for granted. Though we may disagress with how things are moderated or run, or what things are said this really is a privelage. just remember differing oppinions and values are like nipples, everone has them, some may just seem nicer than others. The hobby is big enough for everyone's

I feel kind of hypocritical writing this as i know i have in the past got a little caried away trying to aquire new frogs,i am as guilty as anyone and will probably do so again, and hell, we probably all will, which is fine, just as long as we try to keep it in perspective. I think maybe at times we get too far far removed from the fact that frogs are wild animals and we are lucky to have them. I have been fortunate enough to spend some time with these frogs in the wild and hope to continue to do so, and i think this is the one aspect of the hobby that is overlooked by many. There is nothing more beautiful than walking aloung a stream and hearing granuliferus all around you, watching males calling or females carrying tadpole, or waking up in the morning in peru after a rainy night, standing on a fallen stump looking around and seeing hundretds of reticulatus hopping about the wet leaves on the ground like little rubies. I guess what im saying here is that if at all possible, i highly encourage everone to try to see some of these frogs in the wild atleast once, its an incredible thing to see, and a trip like that, perhaps pilgramige would be a better word cannot help but renew your enthusiasm and love for these frogs, and instill a greater apprciation for them and the fragile habitats they come from, the sad truth is that its an oppurtunity that wont be around for ever. so maybe instead of that next group of pumilio or retics get a plane ticket instead :wink: Im sure everyone fortunate enough to have been to the jungles of cental and south america will agree if i say you wont regret it.

i hope no one takes offence to any of this, just some thoughts from up north.

everyone have a great day, im off the soapbox now.

mark
macuser likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Mod

Nicely said Mark.

As we all "felt" at IAD recently... it's about connecting with fellow hobbyists.

I had more fun connecting people's wants and needs (regarding frogs) than getting them myself.

Scott (i.e. "Frog Pimp Daddy")
Sanford, Maine
Old 05-05-2004, 01:40 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself Mark. " just remember differing oppinions and values are like nipples, everone has them, some may just seem nicer than others. The hobby is big enough for everyone's " - love those two sentences,

Old 05-05-2004, 02:04 PM

Nicely said. This whole board is about the frogs and bringing people together that have the same passion. It seems as though some people have abandoned this idea. Thanks for cooling off such a hot topic. Frog-on.

Kevin Hoff Ranaculture
Old 05-05-2004, 02:04 PM

Well said Mark!

Thank you for a wonderful post. I know we are awed at the friendships that we have developed because of this hobby. We have connected with so many intelligent, creative, talented people all because of the love of frogs. Dendroboard and Frognet are both invaluable resources to the hobby. I for one am very glad they are around.........

Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC), The Confucian Analects
Old 05-05-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Perspectives on the Hobby

Quote:
instill a greater apprciation for them and the fragile habitats they come from, the sad truth is that its an oppurtunity that wont be around for ever. so maybe instead of that next group of pumilio or retics get a plane ticket instead
AMEN!! My thoughts exactly!

-Bill J.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:05 PM

As Hulk Hogan would say...Right on brotha!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:39 PM

Its reasons like this that I respect Mark and have no trouble buying from him. Mark is a great guy and has great frogs.
Brian Ferriera Jr
Plympton, Ma
macuser likes this.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:59 PM

Well said. I just entered the frog world after many years of being away and this is just one of my many hobbies. Most important in any hobby I engage in is the people I meet because friendship and human contact is the real joy that we all seek.

I'm excited to see this board come together and get back on track.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Perspectives on the Hobby

Great post!
Old 05-06-2004, 03:21 AM

I understand your post Mark. Every one here would be lying if they said they didn't want some new dart in the future. We all are kinda greedy and all of us have Want list. The dendroboard is great cause we can learn from each others mistakes and what works. We also come up with new idea's and share them. When I first started to try and get itno this hobby i felt like a kid in a cady store. I was going to spend some where around 1k on darts and even more on setup's. After reading and posting and figuring out things i only got 6 frogs. Which is still allot but aleast i didnt rush too hard into it. I would love to go to peru and see these rain forest
gems. As allot of try to recreate there home lands in a small tank. Even know allot of us have never been to south america. The pumilio thingy had me wanting to hope on the ban wagon, but I realized im still not ready for wild caught creatures yet. I would be risking lots of money and these poor frogs life if i fail and they deserve some one who knows what there doign with wc frogs. So I passed and hope some one will get lucky and breed these new morphs and sale them.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:23 AM

WOW, what a reality check. what a great post.
1 Male Cauchero Pumilio, 1 Female Cayo Aqua
Old 05-06-2004, 03:53 AM

Mark,
Excellent post ! We need posts like that more often by the people that have gotten this hobby to where it is today.
Mark W.