Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Coloring up mantellas? (black-eared mantella)

i recently lucked into finding one of these at a local pet store. A nice orange (Red would have been better though) one about an inch long so....nearly full grown i guess? I guess they had 3 and i got the last one...wish i would have gotten the other 2 before other people, they probably didnt have a clue about what a find it was especially around here. paid $50, to much? Am i right in thinking these are fairly rare in captivity atleast compared to some of the other mantellas?

Anyways i was wondering if you can color up a mantella with the same types of stuff u can with darts...or if u can do it at all really.

Also this is my first mantella im focused more on darts but i couldnt pass this guy up...but since i am more into darts i will entertain offers for a trade if its something rare, hard to get, or unusual. Since mantellas go for a lil less then darts usually we could discuss secondary compensation along with the actual trade. But since i just got the lil guy probably best to give him some time to settle down and make sure he stays healthy before i trade him...but im open to it in the future if anyone is intrested.

Since this is my first mantella if anyone wants to offer some advice, especially if its species specific i'd love to hear it gen info, sexing...ect...i've read up on them some but no practical experience with em, just darts, and other reps/amphibs.

Oh and if you have any of these you'd like to sell, i might just keep this one and try to find it a mate.
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 04:37 PM

Hey, congrats on the find, captive breed or they don't know???

M. milotympanum actually was imported quite heavily this year. They were going at a bit higher price than most others though, between $30 to $40 at some places ($18 at xtreme reptiles). I pickd up a group of 3 whcih has been suffering at a pet store a few weeks ago for $60 for the group (told them to cut me a deal ) $50 is a quite a bit high for them though. Also, they really arent that rare in the hobby (not to crush any hopes). Like i say, they were imported very heavily this year, almost every company had them available from spring through the summer. If you are intrested in keeping it, you will possibly be able to get a few more this coming spring with the imports from madagascar, or there are a few people captive breeding them (hopefully me in a few months, I have a group of 10 total now ). I will try to remember to pm you some of my own personal info and some out of the mantella's book but, right now I gotta go take a test . See ya later, good luck with him.

ed parker
Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 PM

thx for the info... i was talkin to KCRD about their upcoming shipment of mantellas...i guess a 100 of each species is what they are bringing in...the guy was sayin it was seeming like this was gonna be one of the last shipments of mantellas, and uroplatus and all the stuff from that part of the world. Dont know how much of that was salesman ship though or real fear He didnt know if they'd get any black ears or not...and they arent listed on the site as one of the species coming in.

What color are all yours? i guess they can range from bright red all the way to green. Anyways ya any info would be appreciated, and if you get yours breeding let me know, cuz even if i trade this one i'd like to get some more....put me at top of list

Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 AM

Default Milo's

Great frog really underapreciated,My colony so far has produced well.They are very easy to maintain greedy eaters and very active.I hope you have some luck with yours even though they were heavily imported alot of the stock went to shops and people who dont know a dam thing about them.So it is wise to hold on to any healthy animals you can get.
later
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19 AM

Sorry, for got to mention about the coloring of them. I have never added anything to color them up, however I have heard talk of people using paprika on aurantiaca, I do not know how that turned out. If you do try it, start off with really small quantities. none of my frogs need any coloring up, all have very vibrant colors. All of my black eareds are deep orange to a deep orange red.

When is KCRD bringing in this shipment??? i doubt it will be the last forever, just a sales pitch. Take care,

ed parker
Old 10-25-2005, 01:51 AM

My aurantiaca vary in color now and then.
The paprika will help...
I also noticed if you get in a rut, and just feed them a steady diet of fruit flies, they will get a little dull, the more varied their diet, the better they look.
I first noticed this the first time I fed them gutloaded pinhead crickets.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:28 AM

I have heard the pitch from importers that there is a limited number coming in or this will be the last shipment, ect... Uroplatus were supposed to stop being imported almost a year ago but they still keep coming in. I guess the importers are going to strip Madagascar as much as they can, but then again the habitats are being destroyed.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:59 AM

Default mantella

I know of a few farms in mad that are breeding alot of the animals we want over here.I am not saying we are getting them yet but soon farm raised animals other than chameleon's from mad will be available in limited #'s.As far as coloring up mantellas I have never had any dull ones to begin with golden mantella's are a variable species to begin with.I have never tried any of the so called remedies to brighten one up.I have my doubts as to there effect's.
cya
Old 10-25-2005, 10:21 AM

That shipment is supposed to be in the next week or two...supposedly they already have 1500 dollars worth of it pre sold.

Anyways i dont know if this frog was CB or WC...but he looked to be in great shape so by that i'd guess cb...but more likely with all the recent imports of them that it is WC. The pet shop said they got it from california or something so probably an importer.

Are these very bold...so far mine wont come out into open but he is eating i caught some glimpses of him doin that in his hiding place. Temp should be ok, and humidity fine...even after a mist he/she hides still. its a pretty bright orange, but i like red better so thats why i was asking about coloring up mantellas...but i doubt i'll be able to get an orange frog all the way to bright red. As far as breeding goes are this color variations considered morphs, and is it generally ok to breed a orange mantella to a red one of the same species? (ethics wise, not health wise or anything)
Old 10-25-2005, 02:45 PM

as far as hiding just give him some time and i have been told leaf litter really helps with shy mantellas. out of the three species i currently have only the M. laevigata are extreamly bold. the only time they care about hiding is if my hand gets to close to them inside the cage whn feeding or messing with plants and such. but i have no problems observing the madagascariensis and my lone male betsileo most of the time. good luck with him. i wouldn mind finding some of that species either.