Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Best way to get new aquariums

Just ask your non frogger friends. Everyone at one point has kept fish or some reptile that they could never take care of. And now they have a tank thats been sitting around there basement for the past 5 years collecting dust. I just thought about askin around the other day and now i have the choice of more freakin aquariums then i need for free or dirt cheap. Garage sales are also a really good place to check out. The paper should have some in there most of the time for pretty cheap to.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2004, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Best way to get new aquariums

Good post, aother good palce is ebay, but search local since most can not be shipped. I have seen 150gals with stands go for $100 or so. Just waiting for one I want... 150gal sqare, not long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *GREASER*
Just ask your non frogger friends. Everyone at one point has kept fish or some reptile that they could never take care of. And now they have a tank thats been sitting around there basement for the past 5 years collecting dust. I just thought about askin around the other day and now i have the choice of more freakin aquariums then i need for free or dirt cheap. Garage sales are also a really good place to check out. The paper should have some in there most of the time for pretty cheap to.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Mod

OK - the Aquarium game!

I've got a number of (what they called) "Personal Tanks". Don't know why they called them that.

They are 15 tanks. Not in the normal dimensions. I'm at work or I'd get the tape measure out. I belive they're around 14" square about about 20" high. That's not quite right, but it's close.

That makes it a fairly tall tank that is tough to light down to the bottom.

In the past I've had one set up vertically (opening at the top) and had trouble lighting it all the way to the bottom. Then I put a CPF on it (small one) and it lit well to the bottom, but it was way too warm.

Anyone have any ideas for a tank this size? I have a number of them (I picked them up inexpensively thinking they'd be great thumbnail tanks) so I'd love to utilize them.

s

Old 04-26-2004, 11:39 AM

How about a srtip light or 2 mounted to the side? You can be creative and make a hood, and it would cut your viewing angle down, but it would light it. The other option would be to use a high power light and install a fan in the hood or top to cool it down.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:43 AM

i've bought all my tanks at auctions, some estate, some junk etc...
never paid more then 5-10 dollars, i've got a 125 with stand, a 50L,
a 30, and a few 20L's...
dead people usually don't keep their stuff anymore either...
Old 04-26-2004, 10:13 PM
Administrator

I use normal shop light over my custom tanks and they are 18" high, seems to work, and no heat issues. Thats 2 bulbs about an inch above the top. You could also try 1 29w CF screw-in, in a cheap reflector, then raise it about 1-2 inches from the glass. I have 2 19w in a hood I made for 2 13w cfs, and it is doing well on my 15gal high. Bulbs are about $7 each and the metal reflectors can be bought at home depot with a cord and all for $10 for 3 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
OK - the Aquarium game!

I've got a number of (what they called) "Personal Tanks". Don't know why they called them that.

They are 15 tanks. Not in the normal dimensions. I'm at work or I'd get the tape measure out. I belive they're around 14" square about about 20" high. That's not quite right, but it's close.

That makes it a fairly tall tank that is tough to light down to the bottom.

In the past I've had one set up vertically (opening at the top) and had trouble lighting it all the way to the bottom. Then I put a CPF on it (small one) and it lit well to the bottom, but it was way too warm.

Anyone have any ideas for a tank this size? I have a number of them (I picked them up inexpensively thinking they'd be great thumbnail tanks) so I'd love to utilize them.

s