Old 08-19-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Mysteriosus

Just wondering.

most frogs are so to speak legal .
Why are Mysteriosus Illegal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 07:13 PM

The US is a signatory to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) which restrict trade in endangered or threatened animals. In addition, the Lacey Act makes it a federal offense to traffic in animals protected in their native country. Documentation of imports and exports varies widely in quality and rigor, but this particular species hasn't been imported or exported legally as far as most people can tell. CITES records indicate that mysteriosus has only been exported from Great Britain and Denmark. Since there is no record of this species ever leaving its native country legally that I have seen, they probably are laundered after being smuggled to Europe. Thirty came in to the US from Denmark in 2003 for "Breeding in captivity or artificial propagation", but I don't see any record ever getting them to Denmark legally. I think mysteriosus was described first in 1982 and has been in Appendix II of CITES since 1987. Since there aren't any records in CITES of it leaving Peru under permit, that makes the frogs out there suspect. It could be an administrative error, but it doesn't seem like it. In addition, many people collect animals from the wild without the proper permits. Most state wildlife departments have restrictions on capturing and reselling nongame animals.