No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SmackoftheGods
  • 1 Post By skylsdale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 PM

Default cayo de agua

Hi all, I recently picked up a couple cayo de aguas. Like to hear from anybody that has these frogs. Mine have a yellow belly and have heard them called yellow bellied frogs? also thought i heard that they are f1 and parents came from 2008 import. also spoke briefly to a person that had them before the person that i recieved them from and he said something like chique river pumilio's ? It was noisy and alot of people around. Any help would be great. Thanks John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 11:26 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: cayo de agua

Uhh... What's your question?

When I had my Cayo de Aguas they had yellow bellies. Pretty sure they're different from Chiquiris, though. You need to talk to the person you bought them from and get details on the origins of these frogs so you're not confuzed.

Division: Frog Police
Old 05-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackoftheGods View Post
Uhh... What's your question?

When I had my Cayo de Aguas they had yellow bellies. Pretty sure they're different from Chiquiris, though. You need to talk to the person you bought them from and get details on the origins of these frogs so you're not confuzed.
100% speak to the seller, you have a lot of questions that they need to be answered, then you should have a clearer picture of what you own.

I have Cayo's, they do have yellow bellies. Yellow bellies where a phenotype name given to pumilio that displayed the characteristic before the imports that were labeled Cayo.

Last edited by JJuchems; 05-05-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 AM

"Yellow Belly" pumilio was a phenotypic name given to a single 2006 importation of these into FLA that were bought up by Johnny Machiato [This Island Herp] and resold. I have 4 of the originals as did a number of locals to New England where Johnny lived.

Johnny is no longer in the frog hobby.

LATER, a number of importations of "Cayo de Aqua" came into the US.

Rich Frye I believe commented at the time that 'again' they were being sight named [not site named].

Sorta like the fake Bri Bri of 2011, aka red 'El Dorado'. Whatever 'sells' the frog.....

doesnt mean they arent 'Cayo de Aqua' but then again....who's to say
Old 05-06-2011, 01:01 AM

hmm, i bought the frogs from Jeremy huff who is a real nice guy. He had just acquired them from heath's frog farm who is tough to get a hold of. I did talk to heath briefly and he could not remember on the spot the guys name who breed the frogs. I here he is going to be at frog day so i will get some more info. Just also wanted to see if anybody had these in case I have 2 males. Thanks everybody. John
Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Dedicated Supporter

I have a pair of CDA's (that were sold to me as CDA sub adults) that I thought were probably Chiriqui because they grew up with grayish-bluish bellies, until I heard someone who was on the island say they saw frogs there with tons of variability including blue and gray bellies
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
hmm, i bought the frogs from Jeremy huff who is a real nice guy. He had just acquired them from heath's frog farm who is tough to get a hold of. I did talk to heath briefly and he could not remember on the spot the guys name who breed the frogs. I here he is going to be at frog day so i will get some more info. Just also wanted to see if anybody had these in case I have 2 males. Thanks everybody. John
You probably shouldn't be trading male for female until you have a good understanding of what exactly your frog is so you can get the best possible match (a frog that came from the same population/importation).
Pumilo likes this.

Division: Frog Police
Old 05-06-2011, 11:11 AM

yeah, I'm trying to get to the source (breeder of the frogs) so that I know when the parents where imported. I guess there is some confusion with this frog. Some were classified cayo by sight and some by the location they were found. Thanks John
Old 05-06-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks everybody, i think I have it straight now. They are definatly cayo's. They look exactly as SNDF photo's and not chiquiris river. Not sure why Tim heath mention the river? Had me confused there for a while. John
Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 AM
TWI/ASN

Photos aside...use lineage information and match your animals with frogs that originate back to the same importation just to be sure.
Pumilo likes this.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports_doc View Post
"Yellow Belly" pumilio was a phenotypic name given to a single 2006 importation of these into FLA that were bought up by Johnny Machiato [This Island Herp] and resold. I have 4 of the originals as did a number of locals to New England where Johnny lived.

Johnny is no longer in the frog hobby.

LATER, a number of importations of "Cayo de Aqua" came into the US.

Rich Frye I believe commented at the time that 'again' they were being sight named [not site named].

Sorta like the fake Bri Bri of 2011, aka red 'El Dorado'. Whatever 'sells' the frog.....

doesnt mean they arent 'Cayo de Aqua' but then again....who's to say
i too have a pair of the cayo de agua from johnny from this importation in 2006. they have yellow bellies and dark green bodies. i believe they were mislabeled at one time but he then sent me an email saying they are in fact cayo de agua