Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Cleaning new plants

I've heard several different takes on what is necessary when acquiring new plants...some say use soap to clean off fertilizers and sprays others say just use water because the residual soap can affect the frogs. So, what's the verdict...or at least a majority opinion? I had to get a new pothos since I kept tearing my others apart to use in small tanks, so now I want to be sure I clean them well...however...before putting them in there.

Thanks!

Kristen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2005, 07:27 PM

i use straight water. on something as tough as pothos i would put them in the bath tub for a half hour or so. most small or delicate plants i wash leaf by leaf with the sink spray nozzle. i try and wash them for 10-20 minutes, but when doing a lot of plants, im sure i dont get all of them quite that long.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:26 PM

Kristen,

I make up a detergent solution (1 tablespoon mild dishwashing detergent per gallon) and inverting the plant plus pot I will immerse all of the foliage in it. Then I reinvert the plant/pot and let them sit about 5 minutes to break down oil-based pesticide residues. This is followed by flushing with a large amount of water (I usually do this on my back deck and flush the heck out of them with the garden hose). When it's cold all activities go indoors but same approach.

Then I remove the plant from the pot and remove as much soil as possible (I hate those darn vermiculite pellets :lol: ) and wash well with tap water followed by a good rinsing with drinking/spring water.

I haven't killed any plants this way (so far!) and the frogs seem to be doing well with them. It does allow you to utilize plants from nurseries etc. I still prefer to order from places like Black Jungle, T&C where I don't have to worry as much about pesticides/fertilizers but sometimes you have no choice.

Good luck.

Bill

Old 06-16-2005, 04:40 AM

I use the same method as Bill, except I also both wash and rinse in very warm water, as cold water can affect some plants and cause spotting of the leaves, especially on those with fuzzy leaves such as the Gesneriads. Also, be sure to let them dry off in the shade, as sunlight can cause burning of wet leaves. (The magnifying glass effect.)

I've never noticed any residual detergent problems, but I do set up the planting and run the vivarium water systems and mist for a couple of months before introducing any frogs.

Advice is like kissing: it costs nothing and it's a pleasant thing to do. (George Bernard Shaw)