Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 04:26 AM

Default Constructing A Rack Unit

I plan on building a functional rack unit for my room over the summer. I am working with some skilled carpenters and they have agreed to help me with the structral design for strength and stability. My plan was to do two 29 gallons on bottom, two 20gallon longs in the middle and 6 10 gallons horizontal but turned long ways on the top shelf. I plan on using shop lights from lowes for lighting. I just wanted any tips/ideas on making the unit practical, easy to access, and safe for my growing collection. I am going to use wood for the actual rack, but i do not have tops for the tanks yet, any ideas on how to get several tops for cheap. I am a poor college student. Any ideas on the construction would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 05:39 AM

Andy,

There are a lot of good ideas for building a cheap wooden rack. Make sure you coat the wood with polyurethane varnish or a poly or epoxy paint so it holds up to any moisture over time. Regarding your tanks, remember to leave enough elbow room above each tank if they are accessed from the top. Far better if the doors open from the front.

If you really have a lot of time but not a lot of money, consider building your entire setup of plywood except for the front glass door and a glass top for the ights. You can fit a lot of tanks on there and can build them from 1/4" plywood. It will be very strong and very light. Consider using Solacryl or OP-4 acrylic on the top of the tanks and maybe putting a U/V bulb in one of your lights. Try using 4' shop lights as they put out a lot of lights for very little fixture cost.

Dave Willmore