Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Administrator

Default Misting how often?

Just wondering for those you use misting systems how often do you mist and for how long? Right now I mist my 10gals 1 time a day for 1 minute. I am thinking about moving to 2 times a day at 1 min each. Its not drying out but the frogs just seem to love the mist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2005, 02:32 AM

Mine runs 2 minutes at 8 am, 1 minute at 11am and 2 minutes at 4 pm. I vary it and run it manually when there is rain approaching and I am home. They become really active then.
Mark
Old 06-01-2005, 07:15 AM

How cool would it be to have sensors outside to tell your misting system when its raining so it could mimic your weather? Of course, that would only be cool if you lived in Washington state or Costa Rica. If I tried it here my frogs would dry out in no time :lol: :? Ive always wanted to setup some sort of a storm machine over one my tanks with a subwoofer and flashbulb to mimic thunder and lightning along with the misting. Anyway Kyle, I mist my tank 4 times a day for a minute each and it's mainly because I have a fast-drying tank and moisture-loving epyphites. The frogs stay on the ground for the most part where its always humid and moist, but the mounted plants tend to dry out quickly if I skimp on the showers.
-David

Old 06-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Well my tanks do not dry out that fast, but I may add 1 more time a day. Just wanted to see what others are doing. I plan to setup multiple pumps and timers so I can mist things at different times.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM

I have a cool mist humidifier come on at 6:30am for 3 min, 10:00am for 3 min, 2:00pm for 3 min, 6:00pm for 2 min and 12:00am for 1 min. Keeps it nice and moist for my tincs. I also mist with my mister just to run any poop into the soil and off the plants and glass, and to moisten up my java moss.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:07 PM

kind of off topic but there was a post on Frognet about putting screen vents in tanks. Alot of people automatically just put them on there verts just like I was about to do. But after reading waht the guys on frognet were saying about where they lived there tanks would dry out way to quick with vents on there tanks becasue there house was to dry ect... and others said they really had to have vents on there tanks to help with heat loss. That got me thinking about my own tanks. They seem fine with no ventilation and from the looks of it my house might be to dry. The tanks do fine with mistings but if there were vents I could see them drying out on the fast side. If I had them hooked up to a misting stystem I wouldnt worry about it as much. I was wondering if anyone else has thought about this. Or want to fill on how there tanks are working.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
How cool would it be to have sensors outside to tell your misting system when its raining so it could mimic your weather?
Good call audiotaylor. I have thought about this for a long time; some kind of interface between a weather monitor and the temp/light/humidity simulators in our viv's. It seems like it would be much more convincing to the frogs if the misting came on as the pressure and temperature shifted with teh onset of storm fronts. obviously, there would need to be regular mistings as well to keep the humidity where it needs to be, but the idea is still a great one. I met Zack from Variance Design at IAD; he is working on an internet service that can send info via the web to user's viv's that will tell their tank to simulate the weather patterns occuring in real time in central america...very cool. check out his website. one thought i had while he was telling me this was, could this be more effective if it worked with local weather instead? so that the frogs felt the diff in pressure gradients? I think there is a ton of cool applications that could be developed by combining the power of our home pc's with the functions of our vivs. I just wish I had the computer knowledge to build some of it myself.

- nice name by the way, do you own a taylor? i've got a taylor 310CE, and I love it.

1.1 D.auratus
1.1 D.leucomelas
2.0.2 D. imitator
1.0 Atheris squamigera
1.1 Agkistrodon contortrix
0.1 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri
1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
Old 06-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Misting how often?

You guys are right. The temp/humidity in the room and ventilation in your tanks will dictate how often to mist. It took me a while to optimize my setups. I now mist all my tanks at 7am for 1 min, then at 2:30pm and then at 8pm. If I leave the door open to my frog room then by 2:30pm it's already quite dry - java moss shows it. If I leave the doors closed then by 2:30 it's still around 75% humidity in the tanks. After the misting it kicks it up to 95%+. Last shot at night keeps it cool and moist throughout the night.

Sometimes if egg laying is slow, I play a bit with pressure in the tanks, I'll either close the vents or kick up the fans a bit or shut off the output for the fans and create low pressure/high pressure then I'll mist 5-10 times over a 2hr interval... breeding kicks up a notch... eggs usually follow within few days.

I could mist much more often, but my orchids don't tolerate the environment when it's completely dranched. I moved all the nozzles so they don't spray them directly. I noticed that if they're kept moist all the time, they drop leaves like crazy. If they are not sprayed, they drop roots and absorb moisture from the air and grow much, much better. Since the orchids love the conditions, frogs must be OK with them too

M.

I will hopefully soon have cyclestats for my misters. That way I will connect the cyclestat to a regular timer and can have a little bit better misting control.

ie. between 7-9 mist every 30 min for 20sec, then b/w 2-4 mist every 30 min for 20sec, etc This way I will have the humidity stabilized throughout the day. It won't be spiking and dropping as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1745
Just wondering for those you use misting systems how often do you mist and for how long? Right now I mist my 10gals 1 time a day for 1 minute. I am thinking about moving to 2 times a day at 1 min each. Its not drying out but the frogs just seem to love the mist.

MistKing.com
|Testimonials
Old 06-03-2005, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrokenchain42
Good call audiotaylor. I have thought about this for a long time; some kind of interface between a weather monitor and the temp/light/humidity simulators in our viv's. It seems like it would be much more convincing to the frogs if the misting came on as the pressure and temperature shifted with teh onset of storm fronts. obviously, there would need to be regular mistings as well to keep the humidity where it needs to be, but the idea is still a great one. I met Zack from Variance Design at IAD; he is working on an internet service that can send info via the web to user's viv's that will tell their tank to simulate the weather patterns occuring in real time in central america...very cool. check out his website. one thought i had while he was telling me this was, could this be more effective if it worked with local weather instead? so that the frogs felt the diff in pressure gradients? I think there is a ton of cool applications that could be developed by combining the power of our home pc's with the functions of our vivs. I just wish I had the computer knowledge to build some of it myself.

- nice name by the way, do you own a taylor? i've got a taylor 310CE, and I love it.
Oh, of course, thats brilliant! Having a computer to controll your misting/weather systyem to mimic real-time weather in the frogs natural habitat would be awesome. It would be like having a section of the amazon in your house! Well, that's just something to daydream about because that would be very expensive and difficult to pull-off. I dont know about the pressure gradients, but that would be a very interesting experiment.

Haha, no, I dont own a taylor, in fact I had to do a google search just to find out what you were talking about :lol: I dont know exactly why I came up with that name, except that I like music and my last name is Taylor
Old 06-03-2005, 11:23 AM

yeah, expensive it would most definitely be, but very cool. taylors are fantastic guitars, and not a bad last name either :wink: take care

1.1 D.auratus
1.1 D.leucomelas
2.0.2 D. imitator
1.0 Atheris squamigera
1.1 Agkistrodon contortrix
0.1 Sistrurus miliarius barbouri
1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
Old 06-03-2005, 01:02 PM

Looks like I'm in the minority but I only mist 2-3 times a week for about minute at a time. Most of my collection is not on misters. You'd be surprised at the level of humidity a couple inches of standing water can provide even with full mesh tops.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Dedicated Supporter

A couple of years back I hooked up a system for my 29gal High to simulate lightning storms. I simply used a color organ (a device popular in the 70's that flashes a strobe to music) hooked up to a strobe light and triggered off a thunderstorm sound track CD. I had a speaker fastened to the back of the tank and the effect was pretty cool especialy when the humidifier was on. Unfortunately the color organ broke down and I never replaced it. I saw no negetive or positive effects on my frogs.

Bob