Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2004, 07:32 AM

Default D. fantasticus questions / care tips?

Hi, all!

Even though I've been lurking for a few months, I'd like to introduce myself on this, my first post to the board.

I've kept dart frogs for the last year or so, and since they've been thriving, I recently acquired a trio of D. fantasticus. The little guys are absolutely brilliant, but I have a few questions about their care, if you don't mind.

1) Is there anything I need to be particularly careful of when keeping thumbnail species?

2) Despite the information available on the web, I've yet to determine whether or not D. fantasticus are egg feeders. Can someone settle this once and for all?

Thanks very much!

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: D. fantasticus questions / care tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbates
Hi, all!
1) Is there anything I need to be particularly careful of when keeping thumbnail species?

2) Despite the information available on the web, I've yet to determine whether or not D. fantasticus are egg feeders. Can someone settle this once and for all?

Thanks very much!

-John
Hey John,
Welcome to the board. The thing that stands out the most about fantasticus is how quick and how far they can jump. Watch it with these guys. Fantasticus are not egg-feeder. I would suggest getting the book Poison Dart Frogs, by Samples and Wattley it is a great book.

Hope this Helps,
Old 04-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Default Re: D. fantasticus questions / care tips?

I just got 3 also at IAD, amazing little frogs, very bold, and like he said they jump like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbates
Hi, all!

Even though I've been lurking for a few months, I'd like to introduce myself on this, my first post to the board.

I've kept dart frogs for the last year or so, and since they've been thriving, I recently acquired a trio of D. fantasticus. The little guys are absolutely brilliant, but I have a few questions about their care, if you don't mind.

Thanks very much!

-John

Old 04-06-2004, 05:37 AM

Thanks very much for the replies! Those little guys sure are fruitfly / pinhead vacuums! I see what you mean about their "hoppy" tendancies. Very unlike the azureus.

I'm planning a beautiful viv for them, but right now they're being kept at room temperature (low 70s) in a rubbermaid container. They seem pretty content and I'm absolutely enthralled by the little guys.

I can't wait to see if I have a pair... odds are pretty good.

-John