Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 05:21 PM

Default Heating viv during winter vacation

I'm going to be gone for a 9 day vacation this January and I don't want to heat my whole house just for my PDF's. Although I live in the SF bay area where the climate is mild, it would be too cold for my azureus's. The lights heat it up plenty enough during the day, but night is an issue. Is there such a thing as a very small heating device that I can put in the top (where they can't get to it). My vivarium is 350 gallons. I haven't seen this topic before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Heating viv during winter vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdogfunk99 View Post
I'm going to be gone for a 9 day vacation this January and I don't want to heat my whole house just for my PDF's. Although I live in the SF bay area where the climate is mild, it would be too cold for my azureus's. The lights heat it up plenty enough during the day, but night is an issue. Is there such a thing as a very small heating device that I can put in the top (where they can't get to it). My vivarium is 350 gallons. I haven't seen this topic before.
Thats a huge tank. 9 days is a long time to be gone, I hope you have someone coming to feed your frogs. The only thing I can think of is a space heater that you prop on a chair about 3 feet from the tank (make sure is has a fan) that may work, but I would heat the house myself.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Zoo med makes a heating pad that you can stick to the tank. They recommend that you dont use it on substrates deeper than 1.5 inches and wet substrates. You should not put it near the water dish. You could stick it on the back of the tank as long as the glass does not get wet from misting or splashing.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM

My wife would kill if I left the house heat on for the frogs!

I did find reptile heat lamp that I could use at night (infared), but it requires a socket.
Infrared Ceramic Heat Emitters | Ceramic Heat Emitters | Reptile Heating | Reptile - ThatPetPlace.com

PS. Yes, of friend will be feeding them.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:50 PM

Space heat only the room they are in. For $40 but frogs are set, year round.

Off-topic - I'm from Antioch (In KY for school though...), glad to see a local frogger!
Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 PM

If you can provide local heating to a room where the frogs will be, and turn down the rest of the house, that would be best. Most heating systems have seperate zones with seperate thermostats. Try to do this first.

I personally wouldn't use a space heater, of any kind, in an unattended situation. If you do opt for local heating of the tank itself. Test it first, then test it again, and make sure it's controlled by it's own thermostat and has a automatic backup shutoff.

All of that said, I wouldn't turn my heating off 100%, for 9 days in Jan, anyway. But I'm in NH. Turn it down, but not off. You can turn off things like a seperate hot water heater, stove pilots, ect., to save energy and cost, but I'd lower the house temps to 55-60F. That with the extra heating from the lighting, and you should be OK.

I'd also enlist the help of a trusted local frogger to come over and check things, every day if possible, every other if need be.

Live in New England? Join NEFG now!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Sponsor

I'd vote for a radiant space heater. No risk of fire, not DRY heat, and it's cheap too. We use one to heat the plant room at work.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM

ok, you live in a mild climate, your heating bill really cant be that high.... I live in the hell of michigan and my heating bills for a month in the winter are around 100-150 bucks => ~3.00-5.00 a day.

1) its fall, not winter
2) you live in California

its not going to cost that much to heat for 9 days. Just turn off the vents in the rooms you arent using and close the doors. Turn down the thermostat by 5*....
1.2.0 cayo de agua
Old 11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXODUS1500 View Post
1) its fall, not winter
2) you live in California
Going on vacation in January is in the middle of the winter.

California has a variety of different climates and many of them can still get very cold in the winter.

If it were up to me, I would leave the heat on, but turn it down and kill other sources of electrical/energy consumption, but since this is not an option because the lady in the house says no, try a small space heater.

Best buy has relatively inexpensive and small space heaters that would fit the bill quite nicely. Get one that has automatic temperature settings and let it go to work. I would test it for a couple days prior to leaving to make sure that it is keeping temps at the appropriate range and that the heater isnt going to be a safety hazard.

Zoomed heating pads COULD work, but they would be much more expensive in the end and you would need more than just a couple to keep a 350g viv up to temp.

In my opinion, a small space heater would be the best option for long term. As it is, you'll have someone coming over to feed frogs and they can always adjust temps on the heater if it needs it.

-Matt
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 PM

Not sure how cold it would get at night, but if your lights produce enough heat, then just keep them on 24/7. Nine days of constant light won't harm your frogs.