Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   ??? (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/39106-a.html)

veiledchamguy 04-02-2009 03:39 PM

???
 
So the first post i make is a question about lighting and I get marked down on rep points how lame is that? friendly.

maverick3x6 04-02-2009 03:45 PM

Re: ???
 
Sorry to hear that man... sometimes people will mark you down if you say anything that is slightly derogatory. Was it a genuine question? (I'm sure it was) Can I read it? I may be able to assist with feedback!

edit: never mind I found it... I know you were looking for a legit answer, just be sure to make questions a little longer and more detailed... (that may sound like a o_O statement).

Don't get caught up on a few rogue negative feedbacks... as long as you love the lifestyle and participate here, you'll be fine!

divingne1 04-02-2009 03:54 PM

Re: ???
 
Did you check your comments to see what kind of comment was left if any? I wouldn't worry about the rep system. It can be abused simply by someone's personal feelings towards the other members or the other members posts and have absolutely nothing to do with the person's knowledge and information provided. Example: I say I don't like the color red because it reminds me of blood and blood is bad. But in that same post I provide a ton of helpful information on getting a fecal done on a frog. If someone doesn't like my feelings on the color red, they can give me a bad mark. I have received bad marks because someone didn't like my joke.

bellerophon 04-02-2009 03:56 PM

Re: ???
 
I didn't see anything wrong with the question, consider the neg rep negated :cool:

maverick3x6 04-02-2009 03:58 PM

Re: ???
 
chamguy...

here is some feedback...

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beg...tml#post348102


welcome to the community booiiiiii. haha

veiledchamguy 04-02-2009 05:03 PM

Re: ???
 
thanks everyone your help is appreciated. :)

SmackoftheGods 04-02-2009 05:16 PM

Re: ???
 
I wouldn't worry about rogue feedback either. I've been given negative feedback for appreciating someone else's sense of humour. I didn't contribute to the thread and it was "off topic." Some people just overuse the system.

phender 04-02-2009 05:24 PM

Re: ???
 
I think you probably got a negative mark because you stole someone elses thread. By posting your question in his thread you made it less likely that anyone else would respond to his question.

It is more polite start your own thread when you have a question.

SmackoftheGods 04-02-2009 05:44 PM

Re: ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phender (Post 348129)
I think you probably got a negative mark because you stole someone elses thread. By posting your question in his thread you made it less likely that anyone else would respond to his question.

It is more polite start your own thread when you have a question.


See, that's what I thought. But when looking at some of the questions that are posted there are a lot of responses that say "do a search, there are already threads on that topic...." So... maybe it's a fine line?

sports_doc 04-02-2009 07:06 PM

Re: ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by phender (Post 348129)
I think you probably got a negative mark because you stole someone elses thread. By posting your question in his thread you made it less likely that anyone else would respond to his question.

It is more polite start your own thread when you have a question.

Agreed.

.
.
.

maverick3x6 04-02-2009 08:14 PM

Re: ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmackoftheGods (Post 348138)
See, that's what I thought. But when looking at some of the questions that are posted there are a lot of responses that say "do a search, there are already threads on that topic...." So... maybe it's a fine line?

I second that... the problem is there are so many threads and SO much information, sometimes I just don't have time to sift through and read it all... it's helpful if you have a question and instead of people telling you to search for it, they can answer it again right there, or give you a better direction, maybe a link.

my analogy is... if you walk into home depot, and you ask.. "where are the lights?" and the clerk says "it's in the store, go look around."

so that's my standpoint some of the time... when I have time I don't mind searching, because I stumble on some awesome stuff.

Anyone else agree / disagree?

Anoleo2 04-02-2009 08:48 PM

Re: ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick3x6 (Post 348192)
when I have time I don't mind searching, because I stumble on some awesome stuff.

This happens to me a lot too. I'll type in something completely random, and come up with something I never even knew; it's great!

michaelslenahan 04-02-2009 09:41 PM

Re: ???
 
I will have to agree--I don't mind searching when I have time, but when I need help on something, I like simple, straight-forward answers--even if it is links to specific threads that will help me that I hadn't found.

In return, those of us that do ask for that kind of help need to make sure that we are giving it in return to those that have problems with things our limited experience has brought us. It seems that everyone can help some other person in some way.

maverick3x6 04-02-2009 10:02 PM

Re: ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelslenahan (Post 348226)
In return, those of us that do ask for that kind of help need to make sure that we are giving it in return to those that have problems with things our limited experience has brought us. It seems that everyone can help some other person in some way.

Oh, absolutely. You give a little, you get a little. or... a lot!

michaelslenahan 04-02-2009 10:04 PM

Re: ???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick3x6 (Post 348238)
Oh, absolutely. You give a little, you get a little. or... a lot!

Exactly.

Plus I wanted to respond to your earlier post--I too am pleasantly surprised by the AMAZING information (and so much of it!) that you can find if you have a couple hours to spend searching threads!

Dragas 04-02-2009 10:18 PM

Re: ???
 
Lighting has been one of the trickiest subjects to research, for me. It seems there are so many options, and opinions. With other aspects of the Hobby there doesn't seem to be the vast options and cost's associated with lighting.

SmackoftheGods 04-02-2009 11:07 PM

Re: ???
 
Great points, but I was refering to the hijacking comment. I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Someone asks a question. A short answer is given and then a comment is told to "use the search engine" or "look around on the forum" for more information. So someone does that, still has a question or comment along the same lines.... Does that person start a new thread so they don't hijack that thread? Does that person post in the same thread since they're on related lines. I'm guilty of this. I posted my own question in Tuckinrim's thread. It was about his retics, I have retics, we've both got breeding questions.... So, is it more polite to start my own thread? Or should I post my quesitons in his thread since they're similar questions about the same thing? See where the fine line occurs? If I post my own thread I'll probably be refered to his thread in answer to my question. If I post in his thread there's a potential for me to steal his thunder or "hijack" his thread (which is _not_ my intention) in an attempt to get more information in that thread and then potentially get more negative feedback.... *shrug* it's confusing for me.... What's the proper etiquette? What's the most polite thing to do?

michaelslenahan 04-02-2009 11:15 PM

Re: ???
 
I think follow up questions to the original question are ok. However, when someone asks a question, say about culturing springtails, and someone else says, Yeah! I've got Tincs that aren't eating that I've been feeding springtails, why are they not eating...

It is a link (they usually are) but it doesn't answer the original question asked--when new people see the thread, many just see the last couple of posts and then respond, potentially taking away from the people that would respond to the original question, because they were sidetracked by the new "almost-related" question.

That being said, if the original poster likes/continues the changing of the thread, that doesn't bother me in the least.

phender 04-03-2009 12:34 AM

Re: ???
 
It is a fine line, but I think you should at least allow the original question to be fully answered (more than just one response). Maybe your question will be answered without you having to ask it.
*edit - I originally wrote more, but then I realized I was just repeating what Michael wrote.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.