Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Default finding mates.

hey just wondering when ppl buy groups of lets say for example. 5 Azureus and find out they have a odd number of male or females. what do you guys do? do you come on here and play match maker? trade? i ask because i have a Azureus its big. but i dont hear any calling what so ever. and i have 3 younger ones in the tank with it. they all seem to get along great i dont see much wrestling at all. its more like they just hang together and hunt and such. i just wanted to know how i could sex the big one i got and go about finding a mate for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: finding mates.

Post some pictures of it up on here. Shots to aim for are side profile, top shot, and front toe pad shots. Obviously the clearer the better. What is the age of it?

One can just come on here and see if anyone wants to trade you or you could sell them off. It's nice to find someone local to you who could help too.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:23 PM
TWI/ASN

I don't have any adult azureus, but I was told by my breeder that even if an azureus _does_ call it's so low that unless you're right next to the tank or you have the front doors open (I'm assuming an exo-terra viv, whoops ) you're not going to hear it.... If I'm wrong maybe someone can correct me....

Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 AM
TWI/ASN

You are correct that they do call, and that it is very quiet.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
TWI/ASN

Sometimes the visual tell-signs are not completely accurate. I've had male citronellas, azureus, cobalts that have small toe pads and are rather chunky, (similar body type to females). It wasnt until i actually witnessed them calling that I confirmed the sex.

You can try separating them for a bit and re-introducing them. That's worked for me in the past. You'll even notice a male tinc/azureus, calling in front of a female at re-introduction. It may be hard to hear the faint buzzing sound, but its also pretty visible. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

Although you say they all get along, it may be a good idea to separate them anyway to prevent any potential stress issues. I've heard of some people keeping them in groups, but keep an eye out for any of them getting skinny. As the other ones mature, you may see a change in dynamics.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:03 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickG View Post
Sometimes the visual tell-signs are not completely accurate. I've had male citronellas, azureus, cobalts that have small toe pads and are rather chunky, (similar body type to females). It wasnt until i actually witnessed them calling that I confirmed the sex.
This is very true. However one can usually get a good idea from that. Another way to check is to take a confirmed m/f and put the frog in question in with that one and VERY CAREFULLY monitor the behavior. It doesn't have to be of the same type of frog as you are not allowing them to breed. Usually in a very short time you can see the reactions of the frogs, sometimes in minutes. Of course do not attempt this with frogs that haven't had clean fecals etc as you don't want to cross contaminate.