Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Pumilio froglet

Hello...this is my first post. This seems to be a first rate board. This morning I noticed a froglet in one of my pumilio tanks. This is my first group of pumilio, and was wondering if it would be better left in the tank or to pull him into something smaller. He's in an invert 10 with the parents now. My other pair has some tads in the water, hopefully I will be better prepared for those if they morph out. I do have springtails on hand, but they did not take inside the tank. How to best feed them? Thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2005, 08:58 PM

First off, congrats! "To pull, or not to pull" is still a topic that breeders are a little uncertain. Personally, I pull 'em as soon as I see 'em. That works well for me. I use a small aquarium fish net to remove them from the vivarium, and I place them in plastic shoeboxes with wood shavings and moistened peat moss. This makes the process of feeding them springtails very easy, and you don't have to worry that the parents are gobbling up all the small prey before the froglets have a chance to feed. I've had a very low mortality rate with this method, but others haven't had such good luck this way. Some say leaving the froglets with the parents for a month or two helps. I've tried this 4 times and have a 50% survival rate. I say try both and see which works best for you. Hope this helps!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:33 AM

You might want to check out the Blue Jeans Breeding Stories thread for information to help you decide whether to pull. I've tried both ways and have had better luck leaving them in but that is in a pretty large viv. I don't think it's a good idea to leave the froglets in with adults in a smaller setup.

Old 01-24-2005, 03:08 AM

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/vi...965&highlight=
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrock
You might want to check out the Blue Jeans Breeding Stories thread for information to help you decide whether to pull. I've tried both ways and have had better luck leaving them in but that is in a pretty large viv. I don't think it's a good idea to leave the froglets in with adults in a smaller setup.