• 3 Post By Tijl
  • 2 Post By Tijl
  • 2 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 07:46 PM

Default Tinc Aggression in New Tank!

Hello everyone,
I recently put together a 36x18x18 vivarium to house two male tincs I've had for over two years. They've called frequently and have NEVER shown aggression towards each other. So I put them in the new tank, they explore for 5 minutes or so, then became very aggressive towards each other. I kinda freaked out so I caught them and put them back in the 24x18x18 they were previously in and the aggression immediately stopped. It's literally like they flipped a switch and are completely docile now. Were they trying to establish territory seeing that everything was new? And is there a way I could move them into the new tank while mitigating any aggression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Tinc Aggression in New Tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindy52 View Post
Hello everyone,

I recently put together a 36x18x18 vivarium to house two male tincs I've had for over two years. They've called frequently and have NEVER shown aggression towards each other. So I put them in the new tank, they explore for 5 minutes or so, then became very aggressive towards each other. I kinda freaked out so I caught them and put them back in the 24x18x18 they were previously in and the aggression immediately stopped. It's literally like they flipped a switch and are completely docile now. Were they trying to establish territory seeing that everything was new? And is there a way I could move them into the new tank while mitigating any aggression?
They were trying to establish who's "the man"...
Old 09-11-2020, 08:30 PM

Would they have stopped if I had let them play it out for a while?

Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 PM

They could hurt, wound or kill each other in the fight.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:56 PM

How do people go about moving adult tincs into new enclosures without aggressive behavior? Or am I just out of luck and will have to leave them in the original tank?
Old 09-12-2020, 07:44 AM

Keeping Tinctorius in pairs is always recommend exactly for this reason.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:19 PM

It's been a few days since I returned the tincs back into their original enclosure, but it seems now the dynamic between them has changed. One is very bold, not super aggressive per say, but the other tinc is hiding much more than it used to. They aren't fighting/wrestling like they were when I moved them into the new tank but I'm a little worried about how reclusive the less dominant tinc is behaving. Are there any remediations to this issue? Would letting the tank dry a bit to reduce breeding behavior help maybe?
Old 09-16-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlindy52 View Post
It's been a few days since I returned the tincs back into their original enclosure, but it seems now the dynamic between them has changed. One is very bold, not super aggressive per say, but the other tinc is hiding much more than it used to. They aren't fighting/wrestling like they were when I moved them into the new tank but I'm a little worried about how reclusive the less dominant tinc is behaving. Are there any remediations to this issue? Would letting the tank dry a bit to reduce breeding behavior help maybe?
It is simply time to seperate them.

the other frog is just trying to avoid conflict.
fishingguy12345 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 11:09 PM

Do you think it was just a matter of time before this happened? Or had I not tried moving them would they have been fine together? It surprises me that moving them to a new environment for all of 10 minutes triggered a competitiveness that seems to have at least partially stuck with them back in their original tank. As I write this they're together in the same burrow just kind of hanging out together, no aggressiveness. But most of you have much more experience than me so if it's time to separate them, then it's time to separate them.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 PM
Mod

I'm willing to bet that they were already at odds with each other, though perhaps unnoticeably so. I think we often interpret animals as 'fine together' or 'happy together' or 'getting along well' when in fact they are just barely tolerating each other, and that knife-edge balance is just waiting to tip.

Aquarists see this sometimes when one day, out of the blue, a fish will go on a killing rampage.
fishingguy12345 and jlindy52 like this.

- Whitman
Old 09-16-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
Keeping Tinctorius in pairs is always recommend exactly for this reason.
I feel like a real rookie for this question but when people say tinctorius pairs I thought that meant 2 frogs regardless of sex, now I think I realize that means a male and female? Learn something new everyday!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:30 PM
Mod

Yeah, male-female pairs are the safest way to keep Tincs, for sure. They can do ok with same sex pairs, as well, but as you have seen, there will sometimes be issues. Maybe you could trade one of yours for an adult of the opposite sex?

Mark
jlindy52 likes this.