Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 4 Post By jlindy52

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 03:35 AM

Default Trimming Plants Without Frogs Escaping

Hello everyone,
I have two tanks and one I've let get very overgrown by a vining plant. The overgrowth is on the background so it's not a super big deal but I'd like to trim some of it out because it really is getting out of hand. In this tank I have six very quick thumbnails, two of which have escaped over the past year when I opened the tank to clean the front glass. Thankfully I quickly caught them and returned them to the viv. Does anyone have tips on how to trim the background without giving them too much time to jump out the front? Typically when I open it they retreat to a bromeliad but I'm worried if the front is open for too long I may have an escapee on my hands. Should I get a long handled trimmer and do it from the front or maybe slide the top forward a little and trim it from above? Any tips are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Mod

Default Re: Trimming Plants Without Frogs Escaping

I have this problem sometimes but it's usually just the first minute or so when things are dodgy. Once they flee to a hiding spot, I don't have to worry as much. One thing you might try is to use a piece of cardboard as a dam that extends across the bottom of the opening. Most of my escapes happen at the vivarium ground level. If you could put a little dam in the front that extends up 6 or 8 inches, maybe that would discourage the escapes or at least push them up a bit more so you can better see when it's happening. Then, you could work over top of the cardboard. Would that work?

Mark
Old 09-09-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I have this problem sometimes but it's usually just the first minute or so when things are dodgy. Once they flee to a hiding spot, I don't have to worry as much. One thing you might try is to use a piece of cardboard as a dam that extends across the bottom of the opening. Most of my escapes happen at the vivarium ground level. If you could put a little dam in the front that extends up 6 or 8 inches, maybe that would discourage the escapes or at least push them up a bit more so you can better see when it's happening. Then, you could work over top of the cardboard. Would that work?

Mark
Clear plastic works better, then you can see through it.

I've used this method before.
Kmc likes this.

Old 09-09-2020, 01:50 PM

I've got a little one with a deformed foot and it doesn't stop her. I haven't had to trim the pothos yet and not looking forward to it.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Clear plastic works better, then you can see through it.

I've used this method before.
Yeah, but so can the frogs and they might be more inclined to try to bolt through the barrier. I think either one is better than nothing, though.

Mark
Old 09-09-2020, 04:09 PM

You could also trim after 'bedtime' for the frogs. At that point they should be deep in whatever hiding spot they like to sleep in. After lights out, I couldn't find any of my frogs if my life depended on it!
Old 09-15-2020, 12:37 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna try the dam technique so that only a few inches at the top of the front opening will be open, then I'll use a long handled trimmer and go after the background overgrowth. Wish me luck!
Old 09-15-2020, 02:03 PM
Mod

Good luck! I am sure you will do great. One other thing that might help is that you can bring along a designated spotter. One of my daughters is especially good at this job. She is cool under pressure and won't panic when a frog jumps out. She just calmly collects it and puts it back in while I continue to make sure more frogs aren't jumping out :-)

Mark
fishingguy12345 likes this.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:08 PM

Having lots of empty cups available to catch the frogs with also helps. When I do a rehouse I always have twice as many cups and lids as there are frogs, just in case you have a jumper that needs corralling.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:08 AM

The best thing that I feel can be done is just to place a net under the tree with a pull rope that you will hold in the hand. Just start cutting the plant or make the similar noise. As soon as the frogs will jump they will land into the net and you can take away the net and set them free at some other place.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:14 PM

Plant trimming was a success! I waited until late evening then used a 8"x18" piece of plexiglass to block most of the opening to the tank, leaving me just enough room above to reach my hand in. It was definitely made easier with a helper to hold the plexiglass. I was able to trim a good chunk of the vines out, then a sneaky little vent burrowed under a piece of wood right at the front of the tank so I called it quits while I was ahead. Without the plexiglass I'm almost certain he would've jumped right out the front! I highly recommend this technique with plexiglass/cardboard if you need to really get into your vivarium without leaving the doors wide open the whole time.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlindy52 For This Useful Post:
fishingguy12345 (09-16-2020)