Dendroboard banner

Got the itch!! Need a New tank

2K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Encyclia 
#1 ·
I’ve been out of the frog game for about 5 years And just got the itch to do a new tank. But this time I’d like to get a custom tank in the 18”-24 long by 18”Dx24 Tall I’ve looked at the protean tanks Sherman tanks and of course exo terra and zoo med I just wanted to see if there were any builders out there that do nice tanks that are fruit fly proof and super high quality. If anyone can pass on any info that would be great. Thanks Ron

#3 ·
Pretty close to those dimensions are the Insitu Vivariums. New company that just started up and are fruit fly proof out of the box. Outside of them there are very few custom builders I am aware of. There is https://www.neherpetoculture.com they advertise custom builds but I have no idea about their quality. They also are not making them right now during the pandemic (though that might soon change?). The other option is to build it yourself which is your cheapest option. Custom Aquariums I know have made custom tanks before for dart frogs though I don't know how much modification might be need to make them fruit fly proof. They will definitely be expensive.

#6 ·
Custom Aquariums I know have made custom tanks before for dart frogs though I don't know how much modification might be need to make them fruit fly proof. They will definitely be expensive.
Do you have any links to any more info on this? Unfortunately, the name of their company is not friendly to any search engine -- too generic.

I recently bought an aquarium and stand from them, and the build quality is incredible. They had a viv on display in their office when I went to pick up my tank. It wasn't at all suitable for darts -- not that it was designed to be -- so I'd be curious to see what they do differently on a dart viv.

#8 ·
Thanks. Yes, that's the design of the larger viv I saw -- the framing is not as obnoxious in a 8' long viv. They use the same framing for fish tanks, too, and it is a little obtrusive (I got a rimless, but there is framing on the bottom).

The slider doors she showed in the video are the same as on the viv I saw, too, and they don't work very well. The plastic on plastic slide doesn't have a good feel to it at all, and the gap is larger than would be functional for a dart viv, IIRC.

There's no venting, either, but luckily they made her a full glass top so she could keep the humidity at 100% though.:rolleyes:

Looks as if customaquariums is not a live option for dart vivs.

#9 ·
Thanks. Yes, that's the design of the larger viv I saw -- the framing is not as obnoxious in a 8' long viv. They use the same framing for fish tanks, too, and it is a little obtrusive (I got a rimless, but there is framing on the bottom).
I was looking into a larger rimless aquarium and considered them but didn't get as far as asking for a quote. How big is your tank and if you don't mind, how much did they charge?

--

Ya I wasn't sure how viable they would be for darts and if they would require much/a lot of retrofitting. I'd hope that if you knew enough to ask for fruit fly proof mesh for part of the top/front they would be able to provide but /shrug no idea.

#12 ·
Tanks about 90% done. Just waiting on the misting system (l went with the Mistking v5.0 starter kit with the dual head.) Should be here Monday. I’m still trying to figure out my plants on the ground been trying to find some jewel orchids but not having l much luck. Have some plants coming in next week But hoping to find some orchids soon!

Attachments

#13 ·
Had the day off today so I took the morning to finish up. Installed the misting system and finally found a stand. Just want a few more plants (Looking for jewel orchids and begonias If anyone have some). Just need to fine tune my misting times and lighting on and off. I found a 18” current satellite pro light so I put that on for some Mood lighting At night. I’ll try snd post some pictures at night with it on.

Attachments

#14 ·
I would love to see some detail on those pictures! The attaching function for pictures on this board is dismal. Most of us use a different site to host our images. I like Imgur (I have had good luck with BBCode link for this board and I use large thumbnails so that the pictures aren't so big that I have to zoom out in my browser to see the whole thing when viewing a thread).

Mark

#15 ·
I would love to see some detail on those pictures! The attaching function for pictures on this board is dismal. Most of us use a different site to host our images. I like Imgur (I have had good luck with BBCode link for this board and I use large thumbnails so that the pictures aren't so big that I have to zoom out in my browser to see the whole thing when viewing a thread).

Mark
Agreed.
I love the wood structure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.