facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 1 Post By ashdavisa
  • 1 Post By gusgieg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 06:15 PM

Default New cage?

Hey all. I know it’s been awhile since my last post but I’ve got some questions.
My Pacman frog, red eyed tree frogs, and two new dart frogs are all doing great! 👍

The dart frogs are in there grow out/quarantine tank. I had a big cage set up for them. (They are to Tinctorius Azures) my plans with that tank didn’t fall through though. It looked kind of dirty. And was bound to get soggy fast.

My question to y’all was about this other tank I set up a few weeks ago. It’s looks really cool to me and it holds humidity great. Overall I like it. It’s only problem is that I believe it is too small. Unless people seem to think otherwise I wasn’t going to put them in this at least long term. The size is 12 by 12 by 18 eco terra. Again If you guys don’t think this is suitable for them I can totally get them something bigger, it’s not an emergency. Currently they are in a big storage box which they are thriving in.

I’ll leave the photo of the small tank below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCB935EF-23FF-40DA-82CB-6F235680C04F_1590171316770.jpg (15.3 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Re: New cage?

Correct. I think most people would say that a 12x12 footprint, regardless of the height is not enough for two Azrureus. Sounds like they are doing ok in the grow-out, though, so you have time to work on the bigger tank to make it better. You know more now than when you set it up the first time :-)

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusgieg View Post
Hey all. I know itís been awhile since my last post but Iíve got some questions.
My Pacman frog, red eyed tree frogs, and two new dart frogs are all doing great! 👍

The dart frogs are in there grow out/quarantine tank. I had a big cage set up for them. (They are to Tinctorius Azures) my plans with that tank didnít fall through though. It looked kind of dirty. And was bound to get soggy fast.

My question to yíall was about this other tank I set up a few weeks ago. Itís looks really cool to me and it holds humidity great. Overall I like it. Itís only problem is that I believe it is too small. Unless people seem to think otherwise I wasnít going to put them in this at least long term. The size is 12 by 12 by 18 eco terra. Again If you guys donít think this is suitable for them I can totally get them something bigger, itís not an emergency. Currently they are in a big storage box which they are thriving in.

Iíll leave the photo of the small tank below
Old 05-22-2020, 06:48 PM

That’s kind of what I thought too. I just wanted to get a second opinion before I went out and bought a whole setup. Now I think I’ll buy something with more width/depth.

I don’t have any future plans for the tank but if you guys have any ideas let me know

Old 05-22-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Thatís kind of what I thought too. I just wanted to get a second opinion before I went out and bought a whole setup. Now I think Iíll buy something with more width/depth.

I donít have any future plans for the tank but if you guys have any ideas let me know
Grow out tank :-).
I have grand designs for my frog room to eventually move my frogs out of 18x18x24" exo terras into 36x18x18"(or 24" high if I can find them) vivaria, and then move my Ranitomeya from their current 12x12x18"s into the 18x18x24" tanks and then only use the 12x12x18" tanks as grow out tanks.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:51 PM

For anyone wondering, I just got a 36,18,18 exo terra. Originally I wasn’t going to go this big but it was 70 dollars off. How many frogs do you think could stay in a tank that size? If
Old 05-31-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
For anyone wondering, I just got a 36,18,18 exo terra. Originally I wasnít going to go this big but it was 70 dollars off. How many frogs do you think could stay in a tank that size? If
Two tincs. If you are going with other frogs it depends on the species. Tincs tend to not get along unless its a male and female pair based on my reading.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:41 PM

Think more along the lines of "what's the most I can provide for my current frogs" than "how many frogs can this tank allow me to have". If you have 2, that's the perfect number for that tank! They'll use every inch of space they're allowed, and you can feel good about providing more than bare minimum for them.

On another note, I got in on that deal yesterday for my azureus, too
fishingguy12345 likes this.

Last edited by ashdavisa; 05-31-2020 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-31-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdavisa View Post
Think more along the lines of "what's the most I can provide for my current frogs" than "how many frogs can this tank allow me to have". If you have 2, that's the perfect number for that tank! They'll use every inch of space they're allowed, and you can feel good about providing more than bare minimum for them.

On another note, I got in on that deal yesterday for my azureus, too
Agreed!

I'm building a 36x18x18" vivarium, and I'm actually contemplating just housing a pair of tincs in it

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Agreed!

I'm building a 36x18x18" vivarium, and I'm actually contemplating just housing a pair of tincs in it
I've got one the same size but 24 high. Everything I've read suggests that just a pair is the right move for almost any sized Viv. Tinc females have a pretty large territory and have no problem defending it.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:04 PM

Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. Should I be concerned as the frogs mature if they are the same gender? I still don’t know a sex and I have heard two females can be problematic.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. Should I be concerned as the frogs mature if they are the same gender? I still donít know a sex and I have heard two females can be problematic.
Yes you should be concerned if they are female. They can be mean to each other once they reach maturity. Males will more likely be chill.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:37 PM

I did some researching on sexing dart frogs, and it’s probably to early to tell but I think I have at least one female. Hopefully though I get a male female pair, it is the most likely.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:22 PM

Also, if it is two females, do I have any option other than separating them?
Old 06-02-2020, 07:38 PM

You might not have trouble with just two females. You might be ok. It can be the presence of the male in the breeding dynamics that can cause issues between multiple females. Sometimes they are just ornery, though. You do have options. You could trade for another adult of the gender you are interested in.

Mark
Old 06-02-2020, 07:45 PM

Hopefully its not two females. As they grow I’ll keep a close eye on them. If I notice any signs of aggression I will remove one of the frogs. Also when I set up this tank I’ll make sure to include lots of visual barriers and hiding places.

In there current tank they seem to be getting along just fine. Both are in good condition, and I haven’t noticed any fighting.
Socratic Monologue likes this.