• 2 Post By johnachilli
  • 1 Post By hp192
  • 1 Post By JBR
  • 1 Post By Johanovich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2020, 11:35 PM

Default New dart frog vivarium

Hey everyone,
I recently built a vivarium that isn’t currently housing anything. The reason I am here is to get some opinions on a good dart frog species for the tank, and how many.

The tank is a 40 gallon long with which I did a spray foam background and coco fiber lining on the sides.

It is planted, 4 bromeliads 1 Boston fern, 2 nerve plants, 1 pink polka dot plant, 1 dracanea compacta, and lots of moss. With that, the wood in the background, and leaf litter there is plenty of cover.

It’s a display tank so people tend to walk by/look at it often, but with all of the hiding places I believe that frogs would feel safe. If you guys think otherwise I could move the tank probably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread Yesterday, 12:30 AM

Default Re: New dart frog vivarium

Great question, and you're going to get some recommendations of frogs that are more terrestrially-oriented, I'll bet.

Do you have pics you could post/link? That might help people advise.

Did you have a species in mind when you built it?

- Whitman
Unread Yesterday, 01:29 AM

Here’s a link, https://www.instagram.com/p/B-LacVDg...d=zddgwh8mhol2

Unread Yesterday, 01:43 AM

Also no species in mind, maybe something bold that is gonna not shy away from someone looking at the tanks
Unread Yesterday, 11:38 AM

I'd look into leucomelas. They are a great beginner frog, bold, and do well in groups.
Encyclia and Do_Gon like this.

www.thedartfrogblog.com
Unread Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Azureus and Terribs aren't shy. My Terribs actually become MORE active as people move around because they think they're going to be fed. Lol.
Encyclia likes this.
Unread Yesterday, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try to focus my research on them and modify the tank more to their needs, do y’all know any reliable company’s/breeders online that I can order captive bred from?
Unread Yesterday, 02:07 PM

My terribilis are comically bold. They don't care about me in the slightest. They're near the floor and my dog (not a small dog) sniffs the cage and they come closer to see if she is a food bringer
Encyclia likes this.
Unread Yesterday, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusgieg View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try to focus my research on them and modify the tank more to their needs, do y’all know any reliable company’s/breeders online that I can order captive bred from?
Had a look at the tank and two things quickly caught my attention.

First: there is sphagnum mixed into the substrate layer. This has a tendency to become very wet and soggy and could rot quickly. Having your substrate too wet can and will cause problems in the long term for most dart frogs.

Second: there is no ventilation at the front and the access is only though the top. While this is not necessarily a problem, (my auratus vivarium for example also doesn't have front ventilation, but it does have front access which makes life much easier) it warrants extra caution regarding humidity. If this is too high your frogs will have problems thermoregulating because they can't evaporate moisture from their skin anymore. Together with my first point I see this tank potentially becoming too wet relatively quickly the way it is currently set up.

Frog-wise I'd say that this tank would be best for a pair or a trio of dart frogs. Groups would need more space.

I also never found my auratus to be shy. Sure they usually hop away when I open their enclosure (and not all of them do actually), but they are right back as soon as I close the door to check if I left food behind. I also see every single one of them at least once every day, with the more outgoing individuals pretty much out and about throughout daytime.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Unread Yesterday, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanovich View Post

First: there is sphagnum mixed into the substrate layer. This has a tendency to become very wet and soggy and could rot quickly. Having your substrate too wet can and will cause problems in the long term for most dart frogs.

Second: there is no ventilation at the front and the access is only though the top. While this is not necessarily a problem, (my auratus vivarium for example also doesn't have front ventilation, but it does have front access which makes life much easier) it warrants extra caution regarding humidity. If this is too high your frogs will have problems thermoregulating because they can't evaporate moisture from their skin anymore. Together with my first point I see this tank potentially becoming too wet relatively quickly the way it is currently set up.

Thanks for catching my mistake, if you have ideas on how to fix this I would really appreciate it. Would adding a layer of leaf litter potentially help so much water from soaking the substrate
Unread Yesterday, 05:40 PM

Leaf litter should def be added. You can fairly easily remove some of the larger clumps of sphag moss sitting on top and you should be good.
Unread Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Thank you so much, I had leaf litter in but I took it out the other day, I’ll definitely re add it, and separate some sphagnum moss, the main reason I had it like that is that I didn’t want any substrate sticking to the frogs skin, I’ve heard that is harmful. Anyways thank you all so much, if you have any further suggestions lust let me know.
Unread Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much, I had leaf litter in but I took it out the other day, Iíll definitely re add it, and separate some sphagnum moss, the main reason I had it like that is that I didnít want any substrate sticking to the frogs skin, Iíve heard that is harmful. Anyways thank you all so much, if you have any further suggestions lust let me know.
A heavy dose of leaf litter will provide that barrier.
Unread Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssknox View Post
A heavy dose of leaf litter will provide that barrier.
And will also provide dry footing for your frogs, hiding spots and food for microfauna that acts as food for your frogs.

What's the rest of the substrate made of btw?
Unread Today, 04:29 PM

The substrate is a plantation block that I mixed with some sphagnum. And stuff for the microfauna
Unread Today, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The substrate is a plantation block that I mixed with some sphagnum. And stuff for the microfauna
What do you mean with a plantation block? I'm not really familiar with the term.
Unread Today, 05:12 PM

It’s those eco terra bricks that you soak in water and they expand into Vivarium dirt
Unread Today, 06:52 PM

*exo terra
Unread Today, 08:14 PM

It holds moisture well and I have never had any trouble trying to grow plants in it
Unread Today, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Itís those eco terra bricks that you soak in water and they expand into Vivarium dirt
Ah ok, never used one of those. I make my own mix which is similar to ABG. So far has worked well for me.
Unread Today, 08:57 PM

I have tried making one of my own mixes before, but I found that the bricks usually get the job done better than my own.

If y’all have any tips for me going forward I would appreciate it. Other than that though thanks for the help everybody.
Unread Today, 10:43 PM

Interested to know how the Eco Earth performs long term. I use it for other herps, and I would suspect it will clog the substrate barrier over time. Looking forward to hearing I'm wrong.

- Whitman