• 2 Post By Philsuma
  • 2 Post By dmb5245
  • 1 Post By bssknox
  • 2 Post By DPfarr
  • 2 Post By carola1155

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM

Default Group Frogs

I am getting a 24x18x24. I would like a frog species that climbs relitively frequently and can be housed in groups. Any thoughts on what would be good?

was originally wanting Tinc Robertus - not in a group also know they dont climb much

or Pumillio - climb alot but not sure about ophagas that can be housed in groups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2020, 07:05 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Group Frogs

No Tinctorius

No pumilio

epipitobates is ok
Encyclia and Tijl like this.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:19 PM

Vents fit the bill most closely here, but it sounds like you might be new (WELCOME, BTW!) so you may want to steer clear from thumbnails. I'd recommend 3 or 4 leucs. They won't climb as much as your typical thumb, but they'll use height periodically, especially to call. Best of luck.
Encyclia and Fingolfin like this.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:47 PM

I second leucs. They'll make use of the entire tank.
Fahad likes this.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb5245 View Post
Vents fit the bill most closely here, but it sounds like you might be new (WELCOME, BTW!) so you may want to steer clear from thumbnails. I'd recommend 3 or 4 leucs. They won't climb as much as your typical thumb, but they'll use height periodically, especially to call. Best of luck.
Yes i am new to keeping PDFs. I have been researching for about 8 months now. Only looked at Tincs as there bold and looked at Ophillia as they utilize the whole tank.

Was trying to see if there was something i didnt know about that fit into the Groups. Im not a fan of Luecs coloration (wanting reds or blues). I will likely stay to my research and just get Robertus tincs to start with. Group of 4 in hopes of getting a 2.1 ratio.then rehoming the 4th or extra females
Old 02-15-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadbery View Post
Yes i am new to keeping PDFs. I have been researching for about 8 months now. Only looked at Tincs as there bold and looked at Ophillia as they utilize the whole tank.

Was trying to see if there was something i didnt know about that fit into the Groups. Im not a fan of Luecs coloration (wanting reds or blues). I will likely stay to my research and just get Robertus tincs to start with. Group of 4 in hopes of getting a 2.1 ratio.then rehoming the 4th or extra females
Tinctorius are best kept in couples. Especialy if you do not have experience with frogs yet. Your tank is also to small imo for more than 2 Tinctorius.
Gadbery (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 07:24 PM

Not sure why the tinctorius is still labeled as a non climber in something like a 24 or 36 tank. All the morphs I have go as high as they can.

Grouping is the issue I suppose. 2 males and a female could inhabit that. If you haven’t had experience with leucomelas, they really do have a great character. Mine are my favorite of my all my frogs.
Tijl and Fahad like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DPfarr For This Useful Post:
Gadbery (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
Tinctorius are best kept in couples. Especialy if you do not have experience with frogs yet. Your tank is also to small imo for more than 2 Tinctorius.
Interesting everything iv read says i could keep a 2.1 in this. Ill definetly adjust how many luecs would you say would be safe to keep in this size tank?
Old 02-16-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadbery View Post
Interesting everything iv read says i could keep a 2.1 in this. Ill definetly adjust how many luecs would you say would be safe to keep in this size tank?
I keep my couples in 100x50x50 cm tanks... I recently posted a topic about a Tinctorius in situ to give an idea how rediculously small our tanks realy are for the frogs... For starters it's all about ethics imo. And second ; you will have the oppurtunity to see more bold behaviour in your tank when they are kept in couples. When you keep 3 or more Tinctorius togheter in a small space, there is always dominance present. Dominance makes frogs act more shy.

The topic :

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/de...tly-climb.html
Old 02-17-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijl View Post
I keep my couples in 100x50x50 cm tanks... I recently posted a topic about a Tinctorius in situ to give an idea how rediculously small our tanks realy are for the frogs... For starters it's all about ethics imo. And second ; you will have the oppurtunity to see more bold behaviour in your tank when they are kept in couples. When you keep 3 or more Tinctorius togheter in a small space, there is always dominance present. Dominance makes frogs act more shy.

The topic :

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/de...tly-climb.html
This is a good way to look at it. Never relly considered the third specimen could cause them to be shy. Just dont want to have frogs always hiding i guess. I will likely get 3 to start to so i can get at least a 1.1 ratio. the third one i can rehome to another local hobbiest, if i go with tincs. May start with luecs
Old 02-17-2020, 02:33 PM
Mod

Phyllobates bicolor could be a good option. Give them sturdy ledges and some cork rounds or wider pieces of wood and they will climb up them. Active and bold frogs too...
Encyclia and Woodswalker like this.