• 1 Post By BigBlu
  • 2 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By davecalk
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By sethandrew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Default Frogs with a Quiet/Moderate Call

Hello! So I have an unoccupied 18x18x24 tank. Do you guys know about any dart frogs with a quiet/moderate call that would be suitable for the tank? I’ll do research on each individually mentioned species but I can’t seem to find much of a reference for which dart frogs are loud, moderate, quiet, etc.

I know there’s a few thumbnail species that are pretty quiet. And I was thinking about the “bumblebee” dart frogs but after listening to some of their calls on YouTube I’m worried they’d be too loud. Opinions?

I don’t mind calls at all but my housemates wouldn’t like anything obnoxiously loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Frogs with a Quiet/Moderate Call

I'm still learning about it myself but having a pair of Tincs I can say firsthand if you're looking for a quiet frog with a lot of personality, you can't go wrong with Tinctorious .

Males do call but it's so low frequency you can't even hear it- I watched my male do it once and initially I didn't even realize he was calling because I couldn't hear it through the tank.
Raven Woodshaunter likes this.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Leucs are louder than imitators, and much louder than vanzolinii.

They don't (usually...) call in the middle of the night, though, and the calls really are pleasant (I think ). I accidentally brought a gray tree frog into the house a couple years ago when I brought my orchids in for the winter (into my bedroom). Holy moly, they are freakin loud!

- Whitman

Old 10-11-2019, 06:17 PM

Greetings,

I have R. imitator varadero and their call, while clearly audible outside the viv, is rather pleasant - a sound between a cricket's and a bird's chirp. They don't call at night after the lights go out. Guests who hear it always say something along the lines of "That's a frog? How nice!"
Old 10-11-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcmich View Post
Greetings,

I have R. imitator varadero and their call, while clearly audible outside the viv, is rather pleasant - a sound between a cricket's and a bird's chirp. They don't call at night after the lights go out. Guests who hear it always say something along the lines of "That's a frog? How nice!"
Would you say they're audible in the next room? My wife (the Boss) is having kittens at the prospect of them being "LOUD and irritating". Varadero are top my list, call dependant. I have a tank (as opposed to a front-opening viv) so that may be a limiting factor.

Last edited by PBM3000; 10-11-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:32 AM

I would steer clear of Leucomelas, Terribilis, Anthonyii, Ameerega (at least pepperi) and most obligates (Oophaga species). I can hear all of those easily from the other room. Ranitomeya are a mixed bag. I don't hear my Fantastica very often, but I do hear my Vanzolini, but I don't mind them at all. No experience with Imitators. Tincs and Auratus are probably some of the most quiet frogs you would come across.

Some frogs are fairly loud, but I don't count them as especially annoying. I guess that's in the ear of the hearer, but some frog calls are more potentially annoying to me than others. I like the more chirpy or melodious ones a lot more than the harsher sounding ones, but I don't hate any of them and rather enjoy it when they are all going before a storm or whatnot. I factor the call into any decision I make when deciding whether to buy a frog and it is usually a positive if it has an audible call, especially if it's different than the sounds that come from my current collection :-)

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
PBM3000 (10-12-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
I would steer clear of Leucomelas, Terribilis, Anthonyii, Ameerega (at least pepperi) and most obligates (Oophaga species). I can hear all of those easily from the other room. Ranitomeya are a mixed bag. I don't hear my Fantastica very often, but I do hear my Vanzolini, but I don't mind them at all. No experience with Imitators. Tincs and Auratus are probably some of the most quiet frogs you would come across.

Some frogs are fairly loud, but I don't count them as especially annoying. I guess that's in the ear of the hearer, but some frog calls are more potentially annoying to me than others. I like the more chirpy or melodious ones a lot more than the harsher sounding ones, but I don't hate any of them and rather enjoy it when they are all going before a storm or whatnot. I factor the call into any decision I make when deciding whether to buy a frog and it is usually a positive if it has an audible call, especially if it's different than the sounds that come from my current collection :-)

Mark
As Mark said, beauty is in the ear of the beholder. Personally I love the trill of Leucs. Yes, they are a bit louder, but their call is melodious, beautiful and I like being able hear them in their tank. It brings the call of nature into my home. Go onto youtube to listen to them yourself. Then invite the Boss listen with you which can win her to your cause and help you decide.
Encyclia likes this.
PBM3000 (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:26 PM

Went one better and took her to a store today. She listened to a thumbnail which I thought had a 'moderate' and very pretty call... she said "not a chance!".

My dream thumbnail is Ranitomeya imitator Varadero which has what I consider a moderate to loud chirrup like a bird so she'll not accept it in the house. Fortunately, there's the very closely marked Amazonica which has a rasp, rather than a call (and which shouldn't carry through the house) so I'll settle for some of those.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBM3000 View Post
Went one better and took her to a store today. She listened to a thumbnail which I thought had a 'moderate' and very pretty call... she said "not a chance!".

My dream thumbnail is Ranitomeya imitator Varadero which has what I consider a moderate to loud chirrup like a bird so she'll not accept it in the house. Fortunately, there's the very closely marked Amazonica which has a rasp, rather than a call (and which shouldn't carry through the house) so I'll settle for some of those.
Do you have a garage she could live in?

If this is for your 55, the amazonica might be the better choice anyway, as they are a better bet for keeping in groups. I have a couple vivs of imitators, and I would not keep them in groups -- aggression issues.
Raven Woodshaunter likes this.

- Whitman
Old 10-14-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Working on it!

Thanks. I'd go with tincs (Green Sips or Surinam Cobalt as they're colourful enough) but having a limit of 3 in a 55g would seem 'sparse'.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:04 AM

I have green sips and they make a very quiet call, almost a buzz. Now that I recognize it I can hear from another room, but not if there is much ambient noise. My Leucs are much louder and cricket like. I love when itís stormy out and they sing like crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skidd For This Useful Post:
PBM3000 (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post

If this is for your 55, the amazonica might be the better choice anyway, as they are a better bet for keeping in groups. I have a couple vivs of imitators, and I would not keep them in groups -- aggression issues.
Agreed, as well as variabilis and fantastica. Both do well in groups as well and have fairly quiet calls.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:28 AM

I was concerned with loud calls when I first started.. so I got tincs.. mainly because of the quiet call.. plus they are awesome. Iíve since acquired a few others. My ameeraga Iíve not heard yet. My phyllobates vittatus which many say are one of the louder frogs really arenít that loud / disturbing as I ever expected. Same with my bi color. To a person who only has YouTube video where it seems like they put a mic directly on the frog sometimes it can seem like omg this thing will never let me sleep..

Iíd equate my tincs to something like a phone vibrating on a couch pillow. My fants / vents to a cricket outside with a storm door closed. The phyllobates are like a microwave beeping that itís done from the other room. Most YouTube videos show door open with mic pointing at them.. with the door close I think itís much more tolerable. They are pleasant and we watch tv in the same room with all the frogs. They only call certain times a day.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:42 AM

I have leucs in a standard aquarium with a glass top. You can hear the calls from outside the tank, but it's not anything too loud or disruptive. This might not be the case for a vented tank though.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:07 PM

In the dart word Tincs = Quiet

Although I would argue there are no truly "loud" darts if you are comparing with other species of frogs... Coqui comes to minds as being LOUD
Encyclia likes this.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:36 AM

Tinctorius are VERY quiet. If you are interested in thumbnails, I'd go with any of the Amazonicas or Fantasticas.

www.woods-haunter-darts.com
Old Today, 06:27 PM

I couldn't hear it through the tank.