Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2019, 05:51 PM

Default Ventilation question/advice

Hi all and Happy 4th. I have a Paludarium setup in a 54 gallon corner bowfront tank. Currently running 2 40mm fans for ventilation. 1 sits in the top corner behind a misting head to circulate air within the tank and the other is mounted outside the tank and it pulls air out through 1 of 2 2" screen holes toward the back of the tank. This setup works pretty well but may be drying things out just a little too quickly. I have an idea I'd like to try that is easy to reverse if it fails. So to my question. Does anyone have any thoughts on blowing fresh air into a tank with a fan for ventilation VS. using a fan to draw air out of the tank? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Ventilation question/advice

This has been asked many times. The search feature is your friend.

Here is what I was able to find:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...rculation.html
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...direction.html

The best option is not either of your two choices. Its to circulate the air inside the viv - neither in nor out. The fans inside the viv will increase the pressure and in effect draw fresh air in to a certain extent. No need to dry things out further by blowing fresh air directly in - just circulate the humid air inside.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinc Tank For This Useful Post:
Mmkco (07-11-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 PM

Personally, I would recommend using only one of your fans connected to a controller (allows you to adjust wattage to control rpms and inherently cfms) and use it specifically for internal circulation in tandem with an adjustable vent on top. You could also hook the controller up to a timer as a device between your fan/s and timer.

I personally prefer to have my fan in one of the back corners pointing as close to the opposite, corner as possible with out blowing directly towards a plant or piece of wood... obviously this probably isnt possible so there will be variance that will most likely lead to the fan pointing somewhere between the opposite corner and the front middle section of glass. Just a rule of thumb I use.

As a test, every time I set up a tank I run my fogger with my fan running. The entry point for the fog is placed on the opposite side of the enclosure as the fan. So if the fan is on the back right corner, the fogger is back left and pointed down.

What I look for is that as the fog falls down the left side of the tank and starts filling the bottom, once it gets to about half way across the tank, it starts getting pulled up to the top back corner where the fan is. Keep in mind your hardscaping may prevent you from having the same full effect. The only reason mine is able to function this way is because I have created a gap in both back corners that extends top to bottom allowing air/fog to flow down and be drawn back up. My entire terrestrial space itself is pretty much always open an about the same surface area as the footprint of the tank itself.

As mentioned in the posts provided previously, having an internal circulation fan hooked up to a controller/timer in tandem with adjustable vents is probably the most beneficial choice as this allows for fine tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Eruantien For This Useful Post:
Mmkco (07-11-2019)

Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 PM

Many thanks to you both for the replies. My problem is if I have only one fan circulating internally, my tank completely fogs up. Adding the second one to draw air out seems to be the only way I can keep it from fogging but that also seems to dry it out too quickly. I was thinking about moving the second fan into the channel where my water inlet and outlet are run. That would allow the second fan to run air that is filtered through the cocoa fiber mat that camouflages the tubes and hopefully be just enough keep things from fogging. Appreciate it very much!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmkco View Post
My problem is if I have only one fan circulating internally, my tank completely fogs up. Adding the second one to draw air out seems to be the only way I can keep it from fogging but that also seems to dry it out too quickly.
Try adding the second fan buy pointing both at the front glass. Even though its blowing humid air, the difference in pressure will still draw some fresh air in, but the air will be blowing against the front glass which should clear it up. You should not be actively trying to suck air in, let it do it on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmkco View Post
I was thinking about moving the second fan into the channel where my water inlet and outlet are run. That would allow the second fan to run air that is filtered through the cocoa fiber mat that camouflages the tubes and hopefully be just enough keep things from fogging.
If you are using computer fans, they are designed to move a lot of air but at very low pressure. The computer fan may not be powerful enough to move much (if any at all) air through a dense coco fiber mat. Try sticking a piece of the mat on top of the fan and seeing how much air flows through. Window screen already cuts the air flow in half, I would guess that the coco fiber mat would effectively be smothering the fan.

Also be careful with how you are running power cords around that water. You need to be wary of stray voltages leaking into the water and eventually shocking you or your inhabitants. It happens with people every now and then in the aquarium hobby with all the pumps and heaters they have submerged in water. Just keep all cords and plugs far away from the water.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Thanks again! I'm using 2 small 5Volt USB fans. I will see if i can find a way to re-mount them so that they are both strictly internal fans that aim toward the glass. They are both at the top of the tank behind misting heads and nowhere near the water. Would it be a bad idea if they were each in one corner of the tank aiming towards each other across the bowed front of the glass?
Old 07-31-2019, 06:43 PM

Finally got this nailed! I got a 5 Volt USB Speed controller for the second fan. This allows the front fan to do its thing and the rear adds just enough to keep the glass from fogging. Coolerguys.com 12 bucks well spent!
Old 08-06-2019, 02:55 AM

Any updates on that fan upgrade? Still running well?
Old 08-11-2019, 03:39 AM

The fan setup is working very well now. I really need to take some pictures so I can show what I did because its nearly impossible to explain but the rear fan is drawing a tiny bit of fresh air into the tank, but it is "Filtered" through cocoa fiber so it no longer dries out too quickly. I added a 5 volt USB controller to the rear fan only and it no longer fogs in the tank. Using the controller to turn down the rear fan also makes it quieter, which is perfect!