• 1 Post By Encyclia
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 1 Post By Philsuma
  • 1 Post By RogueFish
  • 2 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 05:57 AM

Default Tincs fighting?

So I guess I’m an idiot for letting it go on for this long cause I haven’t noticed anything until now but I think my tincs have been fighting. I just noticed that one was very skinny and not really moving while another was decent sized. I have 3 but I have not seen all 3 so I assume one was hiding unless it has already succumbed to the dominant frog.

I guess my main question would be has anyone else experienced a death of a frog because of fighting and dominance?

I feel so bad for letting it happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Tincs fighting?

Of course this is a possibility. Females tend to fight in the presence of a male, but other gender combinations can still exhibit aggression. This is why most of the time this topic (keeping Tincs in a group) comes up on the board, the consensus is usually that it's best to keep Tincs (and most other dart frogs) in 1.1 pairs. There will always be the folks that chime in with "I have had a group of tincs in my tank for years without any problems." It's great that they have had that experience, but there are a lot more stories like yours that people don't choose to share, so I think a pair is still the safest way to go.

Don't beat yourself up. Treat this as a learning opportunity (for yourself and for others who might read this thread in the future). Good job telling your story on the board.

Get the skinny guy out of there and try to put some weight on him/her. If it is dangerously skinny (you will have to make that call), you might want to get it to a qualified vet ASAP. (EDIT: I just re-read your comment about the frog not moving - that is a bad sign. I would find a vet and take him in ASAP). Keep an eye on the other two, as well. If either of them starts to get skinny or is already skinny, you might want to take the group to a vet. There could be something else going on. Even if it's just one frog that's skinny, there could still be something wrong, but if you can put some weight on that frog, you maybe ok.

This is a good example of why you have to check in with your frogs on a regular basis. If you are only seeing two of a usually bold species (which Tincs are), go looking for the third frog to check on him. You can make the job of monitoring your frogs a lot easier by feeding at the same time each feeding and in the same spot so that they anticipate the food coming and start to come toward that spot. I also hand mist right before feeding every time so that they have an added cue that food is on the way.

Best of luck,

Mark
Philsuma likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
Philsuma (07-02-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Get the skinny guy out of there and try to put some weight on him/her. If it is dangerously skinny (you will have to make that call), you might want to get it to a qualified vet ASAP. (EDIT: I just re-read your comment about the frog not moving - that is a bad sign. I would find a vet and take him in ASAP).
Just out of curiosity, what type of care would a vet be able to provide? Do they give PDFs antibiotics when they are sick? In the case of weight loss, is there a calorie booster powder to dust FFs with? New to the hobby... I guess I'm just figuring out - if there's a problem with my frogs "this" is the scenario to bring it to the vet and "this" is the scenario that bringing it to the vet would be a waste of money.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFish View Post
Just out of curiosity, what type of care would a vet be able to provide? Do they give PDFs antibiotics when they are sick? In the case of weight loss, is there a calorie booster powder to dust FFs with? New to the hobby... I guess I'm just figuring out - if there's a problem with my frogs "this" is the scenario to bring it to the vet and "this" is the scenario that bringing it to the vet would be a waste of money.
Yes, an animal with a bacterial infection might be prescribed antibiotics. Weight loss might be due to parasites, which a vet can diagnose. Skinny frogs that are otherwise healthy simply need to eat more.

I'm not sure that there are any cases in which taking an apparently sick animal to a qualified vet is a 'waste of money'; it might well be that the vet will find that there is nothing wrong with the animal, and that knowledge itself is likely worth the small cost of a visit and some basic diagnostic tests.

You can find a qualified exotics vet here:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
Encyclia likes this.

Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Tijl (06-28-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 02:00 PM

Thanks Mark for the suggestions. I tried to find the skinny guy but I couldn’t find it without completely tearing apart the viv. When I was looking, one of her frogs came out and seems to be pretty average sized so I think I know that he was being a bully to the other frogs. I’ll still look but I think I might have to just accept the loss. I was hoping they’d be fine for a little bit longer since they aren’t even a year old yet
Old 06-29-2019, 06:16 PM
TWI/ASN

Pairs of almost any dart Frog in the hobby are best, for this exact reason.
Tijl likes this.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I'm not sure that there are any cases in which taking an apparently sick animal to a qualified vet is a 'waste of money'; it might well be that the vet will find that there is nothing wrong with the animal, and that knowledge itself is likely worth the small cost of a visit and some basic diagnostic tests.
I agree it's always better safe than sorry. And while it wouldn't be a "waste" of money to ensure nothing is wrong... there's definitely a line where something might be wrong so I'll keep an eye on it vs. something is probably wrong.

For example, if my dog yaks on my living room carpet, I'm not going to throw him in the car lug him to the vet. Just going to keep monitoring and see what happens.

But being new to the hobby, I guess it's just going to take more experience determining where that line is. Thank you very much for the link though. I checked it out and there are several vet near me who would treat PDFs.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueFish View Post
For example, if my dog yaks on my living room carpet, I'm not going to throw him in the car lug him to the vet. Just going to keep monitoring and see what happens.
Agreed. But basic knowledge about dog health is common knowledge in our culture. Basic knowledge about frogs is not. And, I was talking about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
an apparently sick animal
Dogs puke all the time; a dog puking is not thereby apparently sick.

You seemed to be asking for some sort of algorithm or flow chart by which you could figure out when to bring a frog to the vet. Most of us have a sort of internalized one for dogs, but most of us have been hearing at least something about dogs for 'how long ago I was born' years. I think the flow chart for determining this for a frog is the same: you just pick it up as you learn, over lots of time. I don't think anyone can lay out any necessary and sufficient conditions for a vet visit.

PS: It sounds like I'm lecturing. I'm not -- I'm just having fun talking with you.
Encyclia and fishingguy12345 like this.

Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
fishingguy12345 (07-02-2019)