facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By thedudeabides
  • 1 Post By FrogPrince

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 04:11 PM

Default Last Minute Cross Country Move

Hey all,

It's been a minute since I have made a post so I think my account my have been flagged as inactive.

I accepted a job yesterday that requires me to move from Seattle to Ohio and rather quickly as the start date is the middle of July. I have a little under two weeks to figure out the best thing to do for my frogs.

I have 4 turquoise and bronze Auratus in my homemade ~50 gallon vivarium. I'll post some pictures of the frogs and tank when I get home if I'm allowed. I have a previous build thread and some images of the frogs in my post history I just can't view them for some reason.

The frogs are all in great health and I'd like to keep it that way, they get all their vitamins every week and the tank is kept at around 70 degrees and misted twice a day by hand.

My girlfriends parents are flying out one way to drive a uhaul with what little stuff we have back to Ohio.

Has anyone traveled long distances with their frogs in the tank that can chime in with some best practices or helpful hints? Is it even feasible to bring them along and keep them safe and comfortable?

If a scenario that it's not possible to keep them safe and happy on the journey I would be interested in finding them a good home locally in Washington if anyone is interested. I hope I don't have to give them up but it's better to be prepared for it.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Additionally:
-I am driving back as well in my car with a dog and my girlfriend but we're going to stop at the national parks on the way back so our journey will be substantially longer than the Uhaul.
-My car doesn't have that much space to fit the tank in and I would be somewhat worried about the tank getting too hot in the sun.
-a college at work said his pet store owning friend would take them if need be but that makes me nervous as they would most likely just be resold.
-I'll post pictures as soon as I can and feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Last Minute Cross Country Move

You could always ship the frogs to Ohio. Depending on timeline. Maybe have a friend hold on to them and give them detailed instructions on how to ship them.

As far as the viv do you have cuc and live plants in there (I assume you do.) I would probably remove any rarer plants and have them shipped with the frogs. You will probably want to pack it in styrofoam anyway and that could help insulate if you used cold packs / gel packs / phase 22.

Of course this would all depend on your timeline as far as your trip in the car.

Personally I would give the frogs up and get settled then re-enter the hobby. You are gonna have a lot on your plate starting a new job and moving into a new place. The last thing you want is to go through all that trouble and not have the time to set up and care for them properly. Just my 0.02.
Encyclia likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to thedudeabides For This Useful Post:
Djohnson (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
You could always ship the frogs to Ohio. Depending on timeline. Maybe have a friend hold on to them and give them detailed instructions on how to ship them.

As far as the viv do you have cuc and live plants in there (I assume you do.) I would probably remove any rarer plants and have them shipped with the frogs. You will probably want to pack it in styrofoam anyway and that could help insulate if you used cold packs / gel packs / phase 22.

Of course this would all depend on your timeline as far as your trip in the car.

Personally I would give the frogs up and get settled then re-enter the hobby. You are gonna have a lot on your plate starting a new job and moving into a new place. The last thing you want is to go through all that trouble and not have the time to set up and care for them properly. Just my 0.02.
Thanks for the feedback. Finding them a good home will have the least amount of stress on the animals so I tend to agree. Finding them a good home is probably going to be somewhat of a challenge on such short notice I believe...

As far as plants i don't have anything super rare I could always pull the broms out and just bring ship them but they are pretty resilient so they should be alright. I'll put up a couple pictures later for people to see.

Again thanks for your help.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:27 AM

I think part of the fun of a hobby are the challenges like this, as you frogs are few: I'd think of a tupperware container as a make shift home and take them with me. Kinda like a hospital tank (cured spag moss on the bottom with lotsa ivy cuttings works for me.) Remember the ff cultures and make extra for the move.
Djohnson likes this.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 PM

I just had to do a similar move fairly recently and my enclosure was completely jacked.

I had to fly to my destination, and had a moving company move our belongings, which prevented me from being able to safely transport the enclosure myself, and left me in a position that a gamble was my only option.

I had posted specific instructions on my very carefully packaged and padded box that were not followed.

My suggestion/s to you would coincide with what has already been mentioned.

If you want to keep the enclosure, plants and frogs, I would start by removing the animals and place them in smaller temporary containers. If your colleague is willing to watch over them and care for them during your move, I would also give him/her a run down on how to temporarily care for them and what to watch out for. Once you get to you destination or close to it, have them ship the frogs.

For the plants, I would remove them as well placing them in containers with some damp sphag moss to have them shipped separately or at the same time as the frogs.

For the tank.. I donít know how you have your hardscaping set up and how sturdy everything is but I had thought mine was pretty sturdy, turns out it wasnít sturdy enough. Sticks and mounts had fallen free from being jostled around in transit. Substrate got all mixed up as well. I had remnants of substrate at the very top of my background as if the box had been flipped over upside down, plants buried under a couple inches of gravel, turface and leaf litter.. wasnít good.

Due to how quickly I needed to leave I and how quickly I needed to arrange everything else to fit the demand, unfortunately, I didnít have time to remove my plants from the hardscaping, didnít have time to remove the hardscaping and didnít have time to remove the substrate.. I had to take a gamble. Luckily I didnít have frogs in the tank yet so that part wasnít an issue for me.

So if I had to do it again, I would remove animals, have your friend temporarily care for them and the plants. Remove the substrate as well so it is barebones hardscaping.. from there, place it on the uhaul, safely secured and padded. If you are unable to take all components with you and monitor yourself, I think this is the safest way to handle it. Itís going to be a bit of a gamble either way you do it unless, someone takes the whole setup and animals to provide it and them a new home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 PM

This isn't a response to the OP, more just for general consideration to anyone who might be facing a long move.

I've moved a whole room's worth of herp enclosures long distance overland, oh let's see now, three times. None was last-minute, rather, all were (I flatter myself now) well-planned and well-executed.

So it's entirely possible.

All three moves featured a moving company loading, hauling, and unloading my household furniture and boxes, but me renting an enclosed trailer and loading it with my vivs. And taking the animals inside my tow rig, in coolers to buffer extremes of heat or cold. I never mess around with sightseeing while I'm on a "move all my animals" mission. There's one thing to do, and it needs to be done well. Take it seriously and, while yeah a complete pain in the ass, you can do it with zero loss of life and zero viv carnage. Typically in a cross-country move, your mover leaves your old town a half-day or so ahead of you, but - if you just bee-line it - you still arrive a few days ahead of them at your new town. Use that time to set up the new herp room. Then when your clothes, sofa, washing machine etc etc arrive, you can switch gears to getting all that stuff put in the right spots in your new home.

Quote:
I had posted specific instructions on my very carefully packaged and padded box that were not followed.
If you want it done right you gotta do it yourself. In my experience, moving companies seem to hire a lot of sketchy guys who are in a bind from bad life choices or hard-luck circumstances. Seriously, most of them seem to be on meth or dope or both. Expecting written instructions to be followed is wildly optimistic. I would trust those guys with nothing - NOTHING - that you aren't willing to have damaged or stolen. So e.g., animals, guns, jewelry, hard drives, and any essential documents stay with you. Plates, chairs, garden tools, and sweaters - Joey & Johnny Tweaker can be in possession of all that crap for a few days. Observe this, and you will not be badly disappointed. Fail to observe this, and you're courting major heartburn.

Anyway, I hope this gives encouragement to those who may be looking forward to a move with some trepidation. It's intimidating, but it's really not that hard to do well. Just grab it, and own it.