facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 1 Post By Kurk1921

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019, 09:23 PM

Default Mold/Fungus in established tank

Hello,

Just wanted to get some advice regarding this issue. It appears to be some sort of mold/fungus that established itself on a particular piece of Malaysian driftwood. It has been around for more than 3 months and just doesn't seem to be going away. Also, my tank has been established for almost a year now. I have tried hydrogen peroxide and it didn't work (i used a dropper and the bead of the H2O2 just sits on top of the mold or slides off). I was thinking it could be fungus because I know H2O2 kills most mold but not fungi? Some of the mold/fungi are engulfing my plants and I fear it may kill the plants. I have been picking it off for far too long now and am desiring a more permanent solution. Thank you in advance! Also, according to posting rules, I may not post an attachment...please help because I have some pictures.

Last edited by Kurk1921; 06-23-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Mold/Fungus in established tank

Pics would likely help a lot. Here's a stickied thread regarding how to get a pic in your post:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...tos-forum.html

Running things drier might help discourage the fungus (note that mold is a type of fungus -- likely I'm just making a terminological point here).

Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Kurk1921 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 11:19 PM

[IMG]20190623_150459 by felixchanniago, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]20190623_150546 by felixchanniago, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Kurk1921; 06-23-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:30 PM

Bump. I was wondering if anyone can help with this issue? Pictures are posted above.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:30 PM

You can try springtails, they generally consume mold. Might help... Sorry I'm not an expert here...
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:41 PM

Once the fungus consumes its food source, it will decline. It is apparently eating the decomposing wood, so it might be a while.

Adding (more) springs is good advice. Increasing ventilation to the area would almost certainly help, too. Relocating some of your more prized plants might be necessary, and handpicking might just have to become part of your weekly routine.

It could be that there is something on the surface of the wood that is feeding the fungus; maybe some plain water and a toothbrush could be used to scrub the area to reset things.

Whitman
Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 AM

Thank you guys. I tried springtails...been seeding almost every week for the past month. The springtails won't even touch it. I have the temperate and the silver and both are unwilling to consume the mold. I run a small fan system to increase airflow and ventilation and still nothing. I suppose I will just wait it out. Thank you so much for the response! I really appreciate it.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:18 PM

It's really rather interesting that this has hung around for over a month. Has it spored? Molds tend to have a rather short life cycle and will create spores, this is often more evident as a change in color than visible dust.
I'm leaning towards a higher fungus, since they may be content to chow while the food is available and not waste the energy on reproduction. Differing forms of mycelium (stranded and filamentous) suggests a mushroom as well. They can wait until they feel the food source is spent before forming mushrooms. Usually the mushrooms you find in terrariums have no visible mycelium and mushrooms just pop up when conditions are right. When we experience very wet springs here in the mountains we often see a flush of mycelium that covers the forest floor. It is quite spectacular and can cover over an acre in a single fluorescence. I don't know what type of mushrooms do it, and no one I've asked seems to know either.
Since both molds and mushrooms (saprobic, or rotting ones) like a high cellulose, low nitrogen, substrate wood is the preferred food source. If you can remove it, do so and let it dry out. If you can't remove it, and springtails won't eat, you need to dry it out. If the wood is less than 3" in diameter, it should completely dry in 10 hours (without ANY moisture present around it) if it's larger you might be looking at 100 hours to completely dessicate it. These times are based on how long it takes for moisture to be removed from the very center of the wood. Doing this will trigger sporification if it's a mold. It will probably just shrivel if it's a mushroom, lacking enough moisture to develop a fruiting body. The level of drying required might not be to the liking of frogs. We're talking bone dry if you want to put a fungus into retreat. Your substrate appears nearly saturated in the pics, it has to dry around your fungus as well.
The good news is it probably won't attack living plants. Parasitic fungi are very different than saprobic fungi and rarely do they cross those lines; switching back and forth (although some do- dang fungi! Google Armillaria if you are interested).
One other idea, is if you know another vivarium keeper who is experiencing a slime mold event, you could try and grab a culture and put it on you "mold". Slime molds are not fungi, but they will eat them. And they are not dangerous in your viv, and they are decorative, in my twisted opinion, and short lived.

Last edited by Ravage; 06-30-2019 at 04:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ravage For This Useful Post:
Socratic Monologue (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 PM

Thank you so much for the reply Ravage! I do not believe it has spored. Currently, the presence of the fungi on the upper level of the wood is decreasing. However, it appears to "migrate" to the lower level of the wood (more shaded region) and underground. It has also "bleached" my soil into a different and lighter color. Furthermore, I keep a Theraphosid in this vivarium and the fungi has nearly consumed the burrow of the Theraphosid. I do not believe I could dry out the wood (while inside the vivarium) without damaging the flora and fauna. Would you suggest restarting?
Old 07-02-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Increasing ventilation to the area would almost certainly help, too.
I second this. A large amount of mold is usually indicative of an enclosure that is either too wet, has too little ventilation, or both. I would try to "dry out" the enclosure a bit, so that it isn't so damp. There should be plenty residual moisture in there to still remain humid enough for your plants and spider.

Along with this thought, too much mold can be harmful to your spider, as the spores are usually toxic.
The Following User Says Thank You to hypostatic For This Useful Post:
Kurk1921 (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
I second this. A large amount of mold is usually indicative of an enclosure that is either too wet, has too little ventilation, or both. I would try to "dry out" the enclosure a bit, so that it isn't so damp. There should be plenty residual moisture in there to still remain humid enough for your plants and spider.

Along with this thought, too much mold can be harmful to your spider, as the spores are usually toxic.
Thanks for the info! Will definitely remove the spider and dry out the enclosure. I know I mist plenty due to the java moss I am growing on the driftwood.