Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DPfarr
  • 1 Post By jgragg
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 2 Post By jgragg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Default Question about Mistking

Was wondering if Mistking can be permanently connected to a constant water source, like my washer is, instead of a reservoir. Been searching online but canít find an answer and I donít want to try it for fear of flooding my viv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Question about Mistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffel70 View Post
Was wondering if Mistking can be permanently connected to a constant water source, like my washer is, instead of a reservoir. Been searching online but canít find an answer and I donít want to try it for fear of flooding my viv.
You need RO or distilled water. You could have an RO unit that tops off your reservoir automatically, that probably as close as you could get to what your talking about.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
You need RO or distilled water. You could have an RO unit that tops off your reservoir automatically, that probably as close as you could get to what your talking about.

I have an entire house system so the water coming out would be filtered.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I have an entire house system so the water coming out would be filtered.
A whole house RO system?

- Whitman
Old 06-17-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
A whole house RO system?
I guess that's not relevant to your question. I'd still be interested in hearing the answer, but I suppose you have your water quality needs figured out.

Word on the street is that hooking a MistKing to a pressurized system will cause major dripping out of the nozzles. Installing a solenoid would be required:

https://www.mistking.com/Solenoid-Valve-NC.html

I have experience with solenoids in CO2 systems, and they do fail every few/five years. You'd be adding a new source of potential failure by plumbing directly, so you'd have to consider whether the benefits are worth that.

- Whitman

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 06-17-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Mine is connected directly to my RO system. You just need this between the line in and pump.

In regards to the drip issue, yes. My unit is the normally closed solenoid w zip drip. It doesn’t constantly drip, but after it mists, there is a droplet or two left. That’s a small issue to me in comparison to a reservoir.
Kinstrome likes this.

Last edited by DPfarr; 06-17-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Yes. Itís a whole house filter
Old 06-17-2019, 06:42 PM

It would be unusual for a whole house water filter to run reverse osmosis (RO) instead of just a couple of filters (normally these filters go before the RO membrane). It would be even more unusual for that filter to be running deionization (DI). You might want to put a TDS meter on the output as well, large systems for home use might not be made to be as clean as reef systems also consider chlorine/chloramine removal. Make sure you know exactly what is in your house before you go through with this. Once you figure out what is in your house then you can either rig it directly or add the appropriate filters inline before the mist king to make it RODI.

Once that is done I would be very careful about how you set up your system if you decide to use the normally closed solenoid for the mist king. Make sure you have fail-safes in place or you could end up with a lot of water everywhere one weekend when you are away. Fail-safes include a complete plan for how the water will always eventually flow to a drain or outside. Remember if you get rid of the reservoir then nothing stops the water from running non-stop 24/7. With a reservoir, you can always know that no more water will overrun than the total capacity of your reservoir.

Another solution is just to use a reservoir with auto top off setup. You can research those at places like bulk reef supply.

Last edited by Pubfiction; 06-17-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Remember if you get rid of the reservoir then nothing stops the water from running non-stop 24/7. With a reservoir, you can always know that no more water will overrun than the total capacity of your reservoir.
My thoughts exactly. Hooking up to pressurized is crazy talk. Ain't no house damage like water damage. Sometimes I think having any indoor plumbing is a bit audacious. A bit unwise.

Quote:
I donít want to try it for fear of flooding my viv
So, uh...just a rhetorical question then?
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgragg View Post
Sometimes I think having any indoor plumbing is a bit audacious.
Yes, putting up a house to keep the rain out then letting a bunch of the water back in is crazy sounding, but keep in mind that we all live in houses that keep the animals out, then let a bunch of the animals back in. Having house animals is a bit audacious, too.

- Whitman
Old 06-17-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
My So, uh...just a rhetorical question then?

No, not rhetorical at all. You just took it completely out of context as I was talking about trying it without knowing the outcome.

Either way I was looking for help, not idiotic comments that arenít helpful at all.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Either way I was looking for help, not idiotic comments that arenít helpful at all.
That's not needed. jgragg is a very helpful person who routinely offers thoughtful suggestions, answers, and sometimes casual remarks.

Chill out.
Encyclia likes this.

- Whitman
Old 06-18-2019, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
That's not needed. jgragg is a very helpful person who routinely offers thoughtful suggestions, answers, and sometimes casual remarks.

Chill out.

Well he/she was neither helpful nor thoughtful in this case.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
No, not rhetorical at all. You just took it completely out of context as I was talking about trying it without knowing the outcome.

You apparently took me to be hostile. I was not. I can extend you the courtesy of not assuming you mean to be. My gender pronoun is "he".

So anyway - I hope you got your answer. Crowd wisdom says "DON'T DO IT"

Quote:
keep in mind that we all live in houses that keep the animals out, then let a bunch of the animals back in. Having house animals is a bit audacious, too
True, and I have had some fairly dangerous ones (hot snakes), but I draw the line at anything that wants to eat my food. No ants, no roaches, no rodents.

Your statement reminds me of some rednecks I have known; in speaking of "companion" dogs, their incredulous reply - In the house?!?!?! I found that ironic and amusing...still do, particularly given my geriatric GSD and his failing sphincters. Gotta laugh to keep from screaming...yeah, I'm a dumbass, keeping an animal like that in the house. Ha ha ha.

cheers
Old 06-19-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
Mine is connected directly to my RO system. You just need this between the line in and pump.

In regards to the drip issue, yes. My unit is the normally closed solenoid w zip drip. It doesnít constantly drip, but after it mists, there is a droplet or two left. Thatís a small issue to me in comparison to a reservoir.
I'm probably not going to end up using a system like this, because I have a rather large reservoir, but in case I do, I'd like to make sure I've got the illustration on that page right.

So, to paraphrase, the supply line from the faucet goes through the RO system, to a reservoir that is pressurized, which is kept from pushing water past the solenoid until the solenoid opens it up while the MistKing pump is on, and the MistKing takes it from there, and when it's done the solenoid closes the line.

What I don't understand is, why do you need a (pressurized?) reservoir between the RO system and the solenoid? If the faucet's constantly pushing water through the RO system anyway, is there a reason you can't just subtract the reservoir?

Forgive my feeble understanding of how water works.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:42 AM

An RO system has so much resistance to the pressure that you need a bladder tank to hold a reservoir of water for on-demand use. This would be true of a misting system or even filling a glass of water unless you had a massive RO membrane. The flow of water coming out of a typical RODI system is a dribble. Most of them will just do about 50 to 100 gallons a day.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
There's no reason you should think any of this is a matter of common knowledge. It is all much more understandable once you have some experience running your own RO unit.

- Whitman
Old 06-20-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinstrome View Post
]
I'm probably not going to end up using a system like this, because I have a rather large reservoir, but in case I do, I'd like to make sure I've got the illustration on that page right.

So, to paraphrase, the supply line from the faucet goes through the RO system, to a reservoir that is pressurized, which is kept from pushing water past the solenoid until the solenoid opens it up while the MistKing pump is on, and the MistKing takes it from there, and when it's done the solenoid closes the line.

What I don't understand is, why do you need a (pressurized?) reservoir between the RO system and the solenoid? If the faucet's constantly pushing water through the RO system anyway, is there a reason you can't just subtract the reservoir?

The reservoir mist king tells you to use needs to be above the pump for gravity pressure to work. A reservoir of an RO unit is filled and then shuts off the incoming water.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
The reservoir mist king tells you to use needs to be above the pump for gravity pressure to work. A reservoir of an RO unit is filled and then shuts off the incoming water.
This is true, but the reservoir only needs to be barely above the Mistking pump. I have a 5 gallon food grade bucket as my reservoir and it sits on the floor and the pump sits on the floor right next to it. I have no trouble getting the pump to work even when the reservoir water level is really low. So I don't think it's necessary to have even a foot of elevation for the Mistking to work, at least in my experience. No clue what the instructions say :-)

I had a big 55 gallon trash can that I used to use for my RO reservoir when I used to do a lot of planted tanks. I had it attached to a float valve and it worked just as you said. It was very satisfying to always come to get my water out of a full reservoir.

Mark