facebook

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By rmingers
  • 1 Post By PhylloBro
  • 2 Post By BostonFrogs
  • 1 Post By PhylloBro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2019, 09:33 PM

I’ve had to take apart one viv already because I caught it too late and there were way too many but now they are moving into my other viv and my bins. I’ve placed the liquid traps that use borax a few checked it out but they’re ignoring them now and going into the enclosures. These are the usual black ants package said it should work on them. Not sure what else I can do other than co2 bomb on a regular basis but that seems extreme and probably not good for the ecosystem that vivariums should have. If it comes to that I may have to go a minimum in the tanks in case I need to evacuate frogs I’m not spending all night breaking down a heavily planted and well established vivarium like I did last night. I’d hate to do that but breaking down all that work last night was absolutely heartbreaking.

Last edited by PhylloBro; 05-25-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Ants ruining everything

We get ants every spring, and the bait traps eliminate them in a week or two.

A barrier might help -- double sided tape around the viv, a perimeter of sticky traps, or place the whole viv in a shallow pan of soapy water.

If you're in a carpeted room, removing the vivs, spraying the carpet with a permethrin based spray, then returning the vivs after a day or so should give you a month or more of control. I've not tried that technique for ants, but it works for almost all insects and the like (flies, wasps, ticks).
Old 05-25-2019, 11:46 PM

When I’ve used traps in the past I’ve seen large trails appear and then they disappear. This time there were a few trickling in and then they just began wandering throughout the racks into enclosures. I’m going to try the tape barrier first that’s a great idea thanks.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:01 AM

If the tape doesn't work, you can use diatomaceous earth around your vivs to create a barrier. DE will prevent ants and mites from getting in, along with keeping flightless FFs from getting away.
highvoltagerob likes this.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:05 AM

I just found them swarming my springtail culture... I took it out of a DE tub like a day ago thinking it was safe. I was going to go that route but it’s such a pain even just with my cultures I didn’t want to spread that disaster around the house even more. Fail on my part I should have left my springs in it. If the tape doesn’t work I’m going to get large flat tubs and stick the enclosures in them with soap water but I’m confident the tape will work alright. This has consumed my entire weekend so far. Luckily it’s a three day weekend.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmingers View Post
DE will prevent ants and mites from getting in, along with keeping flightless FFs from getting away.

Diatomaceous earth is what i always use, works great and no harm done if kids or other pets rub there nose in it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to highvoltagerob For This Useful Post:
rmingers (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Where do you live?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylow View Post
Where do you live?
Southern CA.

The double sided tape has been working miraculously! haha i did see a couple ants in one of my vivs last night but i think they were actually trapped within the tape barrier and did not actually cross it. Ive added more tape around the viv just in case. Thank you again for the amazing advice.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 PM

Most likely Argentine ants. You've received good recommendations with the soapy water moat and the D.E. powder. Keep using Borax baits to help control them; these can be cheaply made and placed all around the home - use a Borax concentration between 0.5-1%.

Also, for what it's worth, these ants will generally not cross a thin smear of extra virgin olive oil. Try it. I've created barriers around cabinets, tanks, drawers, etc. with this and it works remarkably well.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:27 PM

Okay so an update:

The ants made it over the double sided tape. They made a path over the tape. The path where they were walking turned brown from them marching, pooping, etc. it was pretty wild. The tape still had some stickiness to it but they were just walking on it pretty easily. Brand new it does keep them off but they will find a way it seems if the prize is big enough (My springtail culture). They love to attack my springtails. Ive switched to putting them in a tub of diatomaceous. They are coming out of a power outlet so i stuck some double sided tape around that; that should hold them off for a day or so. The borax traps have been almost completely ineffective which is a huge surprise and let down since these same traps have works wonders in the past. The DE will protect my cultures, but i have to make sure they dont make their way into the frog enclosures again. For that, i think i will just change out the tape every other day, which is a huge pain since the legs of the shelfs are hard to reach, and the tape is not cheap at all. The last measure ill take is probably putting the enclosures themselves in tubs of either soap water or DE. I hate DE for its messiness but it has been the most effective deturrent. To be continued.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM

Fluon is a barrier we use in the ant keeping hobby. Applied wet with a brush, it dries to create a super slick, super fine powder barrier that lasts about a month before wearing off. I've had the same little bottle for years, got it from Tarheel Ants in NC.

An alternative using the same concept is a little flour mixed in a bit of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol quickly evaporates, leaving a powder barrier ants can't cling to easily.

Hope this helps!
Encyclia and PhylloBro like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to BostonFrogs For This Useful Post:
Encyclia (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFrogs View Post
Fluon is a barrier we use in the ant keeping hobby. Applied wet with a brush, it dries to create a super slick, super fine powder barrier that lasts about a month before wearing off. I've had the same little bottle for years, got it from Tarheel Ants in NC.

An alternative using the same concept is a little flour mixed in a bit of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol quickly evaporates, leaving a powder barrier ants can't cling to easily.

Hope this helps!
Do you know if the homemade flour/alcohol method is as good as the actual product?
Old 05-31-2019, 03:20 PM

Nevermind I just bought the product. Im not playing games anymore.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhylloBro View Post
Do you know if the homemade flour/alcohol method is as good as the actual product?
It would likely take some experimentation to find a good ratio. But, its effectiveness also depends on the ant species! Some are just really tenacious.

I think getting the fluon was the right call. It's easier to apply and extremely effective (even some arboreal ants I kept couldn't get a leg on it!). Good luck!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 PM

Another update:

I used electrical tape around the outlet they were coming from and boom. No ants! They will probably find another way in so i am still using the fluon. Ive seen dead ants in the DE so thats doing its magic. Overall i think the situation is now under control. Hope im not speaking too soon. As long as the fluon keeps them out of the vivs im fine but the electrical tape seems to have settled it. Thank you all for your input.