Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 05:09 PM

Default Reviving DB

So it's no surprise to many that DB usage dropped off and is nearly dead.

Facebook has cracked down and closed a number of frog pages so there is discussions about what's next.

So questions for discussion.

1. What's next? What are some ways/sites for frog sales?
2. What can/should we do to revive DB?
Groundhog, srod and Lucano like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Reviving DB

Easier way to post pictures.
That's my biggest and really only complaint.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:30 PM

1. There was nothing wrong (that I can see) with sales through DB in the first place, so there shouldn't be any reason why people can't sell here.

2. Well, ask and answer questions, post build threads, photos, and more off-topic conversation should seem obvious enough to boost activity. I would say, though, that DB has plenty of daily activity. It's by no means a dead site.

Sometimes, I have to wonder about a couple of our rules. In particular, I realize the value of keeping memes and whatnot to a minimum, but sometimes it feels like there's a chill on fun behavior here. I wouldn't want it to turn into FB, nor to veer away from its purpose in advancing our husbandry practices, either. Still, DB feels too serious most of the time. Lounge conversations seldom get off the ground because it seems like it's against the DB cultural understanding to have perceivably frivolous interactions. Perhaps it's a fear of accruing infractions or scorn.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 PM

Hmm why has FB closed downed those groups?

Personally I noticed most forums are somewhat dead these days. Seems like most people are migrating to FB which is horrible in my opinion. Lots of good information are unsearchable and lost. FB is just super unorganized as well, not really all that suitable for these sort of discussions.
mark c, Encyclia and Philio like this.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:18 PM

I will admit to browsing FB lately, but it seems there are not too many discussions there, mostly just pics of frogs or tanks. Build journals, which are my favorite, are rare over there. On DB, I have seen a tremendous drop off in pictures which is really what makes browsing here fun. I haven't really done any research into different photo hosting sites. After Photobucket started charging money, tons of pictures just disappeared from DB, which made a lot of my saved journals worthless. After that, I kind of lost interest for a while. I'm almost ready for a pretty big build, hopefully getting started by the end of May. I would love to post a journal and get feedback as it progresses.

Last edited by chillplants; 04-23-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:34 PM

I was quite content with Dendroboard, to be honest. However, sometime around 2015 or so, I noticed a sharp drop-off in the usual content, along with the users who would typically post that content. At the time, I didn't have a Facebook profile, but I stumbled across a group related to vivarium plants via a google search and realized that was where all of the Dendroboard users had gone. I eventually signed up and began posting almost exclusively there, simply because that was where the content was - the inspiration, the sharing, and the trading. Interestingly, most of my 'friends' and 'followers' on Facebook are actually acquaintances from Dendroboard.

Really, all that needs to be done to 'revive' Dendroboard is for users to continue to post their content here - it's that simple.

Beyond the continual influx of new hobbyists, and the questions that come along with them (which everyone seems to continually gripe about), Dendroboard is a great platform for sharing and archiving content and it has a lot of things going for it. It's more conducive to thoughtful discussion (and even scientific, at times); it's easily searchable (though some seem to have a difficult time); it allows for text editing, letting you to better convey your thoughts and imply emphasis; and, it's self-governed, allowing the users to cultivate a community centered around sharing, selling and trading frogs, plants, materials and information specific to vivaria.

And, it's that last bit that should really be highlighted, in my opinion. It's the users who make this place what it is - in particular the moderators and administrators who do the janitorial work, the 'thankless' work.

In many ways, there is a greater sense of community here than on Facebook, but I have also noticed an up-tick in the number of local, in-person clubs and meetings nation wide relating to vivaria and I think Facebook is a better platform for physically connecting people in order to organize and share the information directly relating to those groups and meetings.

What I miss the most, however, is simply the caliber of content that used to be posted - and you could find it all in one place, right here on Dendroboard.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I agree entirely. I was pretty ticked off when DB stopped hosting photos after the purchase and sales of the forum. Tapatalk is not much better and has been hit or miss with posting pics, oddly stretched, way to big, tiny, etc. For DB to be a REAL alternative for people, they must photohost. This is not optional in this day and age. If they cant do that.....well, back to the expo's, craigslist and word of mouth and faunaclassifieds everyone will go.

I guess there is a second issue. The lack of followup with issues on this site. The search function was inoperable for the longest time. It is now only partially operable. Everytime we've brought this up....the answer was the same. we've issued a ticket, and were looking into it. This went on for like, over a year + Honestly, with the lack of responsibility, action, and followup ive seen in the past.....I don't see DB ever reviving. I hope I'm wrong though. And that's why I continue to check in here every once in awhile. hold out hope

Last edited by pdfCrazy; 04-23-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 PM

I'm new here, but what keeps folks coming back to a forum, in my experience, is:

1 Knowledgable, helpful experienced posters

2 Tolerance for "the same newbie questions all the time" (I'm a veteran searcher but without knowing the right keyword it's not always easy to find something in a hobby you're new to)

3 Encouragement and advice for people, not judgment/criticism
Old 04-23-2019, 10:25 PM

I just use Imgur to host my pictures. Until it is no longer free, I view it as a perfectly viable alternative to having Dendroboard host its own pictures (which it does, just not at a size that is useful to anyone...).

Mark
Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodswalker View Post
1. There was nothing wrong (that I can see) with sales through DB in the first place, so there shouldn't be any reason why people can't sell here.

2. Well, ask and answer questions, post build threads, photos, and more off-topic conversation should seem obvious enough to boost activity. I would say, though, that DB has plenty of daily activity. It's by no means a dead site.

Sometimes, I have to wonder about a couple of our rules. In particular, I realize the value of keeping memes and whatnot to a minimum, but sometimes it feels like there's a chill on fun behavior here. I wouldn't want it to turn into FB, nor to veer away from its purpose in advancing our husbandry practices, either. Still, DB feels too serious most of the time. Lounge conversations seldom get off the ground because it seems like it's against the DB cultural understanding to have perceivably frivolous interactions. Perhaps it's a fear of accruing infractions or scorn.
Dendroboard participation has absolutely dropped. The number of active sales threads use to be 6-8 pages or more.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbo96 View Post

Quote:
Dendroboard participation has absolutely dropped. The number of active sales threads use to be 6-8 pages or more.
You seem to be a little focused on the 'sales' aspect. I still see daily general activity here on dendroboards.I still see some sales ads throughout the week too. But then again I never really viewed DB as a 'shopping' site. If I was primarily here for the classifieds, then I might feel differently.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:59 AM

Quote:

I use Tapatalk for that reason. It works great to post pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
You seem to be a little focused on the 'sales' aspect. I still see daily general activity here on dendroboards.I still see some sales ads throughout the week too. But then again I never really viewed DB as a 'shopping' site. If I was primarily here for the classifieds, then I might feel differently.
Yeah, I guess I am. I use FB for discussion. Quicker and larger audience. Plus after so many years I have a close group of froggers I talk to directly.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
So it's no surprise to many that DB usage dropped off and is nearly dead.

Facebook has cracked down and closed a number of frog pages so there is discussions about what's next.

I have been thinking about this since it was posted. At first, it seemed like a slap in the face to those of us who are still here, trying to answer questions and form a community but I know that wasn't the intent of the post. The post count here is much lower than it was in its heyday, but there is still some good discussion and I think a lot of people are helped. I don't view things as "nearly dead" but that maybe a fair assessment when comparing to several years ago.

The reasons for people leaving are, I am sure, diverse but as someone else pointed out, most forums are not what they once were due to the rise of social media. That's just a natural progression of technology. However, now that FB isn't an alternative for selling anymore, people are coming back and comparing the way things are now to how they were when they left. There is no comparison, but it's not just about how many people are trying to sell frogs in the marketplace. Part of the reason fewer people are around is that there aren't many people putting effort into generating content. This a great place for that, but it just isn't being used that way as much anymore. So, if you want to have the large audience that you used to have where your frogs sell quickly, I suggest that you take the time to make this a place where it's worth it for people to come and hang out and learn about frogs. That's why I still come here and I really enjoy it.

So, any of you that are coming back after being gone for a long time, welcome back! I really look forward to posting in threads with you. There are a huge number of folks out there with large post counts, long-ago join dates and an absolutely huge amount of knowledge to share. Please share that with the community rather than just coming here to get a deal done. Don't hoard that knowledge - share it! :-)

/rant

Mark
varanoid, Woodswalker, JPP and 1 others like this.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:24 PM

In my rant above, I didn't take the time to advocate for Dendroboard as being a worthy place where FB folks can land after having their groups closed down. Is DB a technological dinosaur that shoots itself in the foot because of how difficult it is to do certain things? Heck yeah, it is! However, I think it's still a great place for discussion about dart frogs. Here is a list of reasons that I think Dendroboard is still a good platform for the dart frog community:

1) Topics from Dendroboard come up high in the list when I use Google to search for stuff - especially off-the-beaten-trail stuff. When I want to see a picture of a frog or have a strange question, it is still likely to be a Dendroboard thread where I get my answer from a general Google search (not even talking about the Search Bar here in Dendroboard).

2) The posts are semi-permanent. This is a blessing and a curse (as evidenced by the number of people that still think it's a good idea to seal the tops of their tanks and to have a layer of sphagnum under their leaf litter), but it is a great place to archive knowledge for the ages. That means that if you take the time to write a long post, you can rest assured that it is worth your time because so many people will see it over the years.

3) The community is relatively self-policing. If some knucklehead (ok, me) posts something that is wrong or doesn't make sense, someone else is likely to question its validity. This works well because of the information readily provided about each user. You can tell how long someone has been on the board and how active they are. If someone with a join date in the early 2000s with a high post count comments on something, I will give their opinion more weight. It seems to me that this sort of cultural feedback loop is not nearly as prevalent on FB.

4) It doesn't have rules against selling animals. In fact, it has rules in place that make it a relatively safe place for people to buy and sell animals. The much-maligned rule that you need to have 25 posts and a certain amount of time elapse before you can participate in the Marketplace is a good example of this. It's annoying but it protects people. I have to say thanks to the mods for guarding people safety and money on this board for so long, too.

5) DB is, as a whole, a pretty respectful and well-meaning place to have discussions. There are very few people who are here primarily to troll others. Maybe we are a bit TOO respectful and well-meaning sometimes as Woodswalker was saying, but I think there is still plenty of tolerance for humor and some frivolous posts. I have never been called out for any of my feeble attempts at humor, anyway. I actually think that the tone of this board is one of the things that I like the best about it. People seem to genuinely want to help each other and even when correction needs to be made, it is usually done in as gentle a manner as possible.

That's what I can come up with for now. Feel free to add to my list.

Mark
Old 04-24-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsincunsin View Post
I was quite content with Dendroboard, to be honest. However, sometime around 2015 or so, I noticed a sharp drop-off in the usual content, along with the users who would typically post that content.

Really, all that needs to be done to 'revive' Dendroboard is for users to continue to post their content here - it's that simple.

Beyond the continual influx of new hobbyists, and the questions that come along with them (which everyone seems to continually gripe about), Dendroboard is a great platform for sharing and archiving content and it has a lot of things going for it. It's more conducive to thoughtful discussion (and even scientific, at times); it's easily searchable (though some seem to have a difficult time); it allows for text editing, letting you to better convey your thoughts and imply emphasis; and, it's self-governed, allowing the users to cultivate a community centered around sharing, selling and trading frogs, plants, materials and information specific to vivaria.

And, it's that last bit that should really be highlighted, in my opinion. It's the users who make this place what it is - in particular the moderators and administrators who do the janitorial work, the 'thankless' work.

In many ways, there is a greater sense of community here than on Facebook, but I have also noticed an up-tick in the number of local, in-person clubs and meetings nation wide relating to vivaria and I think Facebook is a better platform for physically connecting people in order to organize and share the information directly relating to those groups and meetings.

What I miss the most, however, is simply the caliber of content that used to be posted - and you could find it all in one place, right here on Dendroboard.
I go back to the Frognet era of the 80's and 90's and have watched and been part of the evolution of change in our hobby and these mediums.

I too have noticed that most of the folks that developed the dart frog culture and knowledge base are not posting. Ed and Shawn and a few others will jump in once and a while, but the discussions that drive new ways of developing the hobby and the husbandry of our beautify charges are majorly lacking. I know life goes on but....
evolvstll77 and Encyclia like this.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:53 PM

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I strongly prefer the forum format to facebook. The photo issue is real though. Not going to lie, I hope the issue with facebook revives the forums, and I really don't want to have to use another app.
varanoid, Encyclia and Woodswalker like this.

Last edited by blacksmith; 04-24-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 PM

I agree the new app people are using tend to be confusing. It's hard to follow some of the posts. Maybe it is user error or just the learning curve. I hope DB forums will show more action.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srod View Post
I hope DB forums will show more action.
I guess so, considering you're trying to quickly flood the board with new posts in an attempt to get your post count up.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:21 PM

Yeah when you have free time on your hands you post stuff. I happen to have free time atm. And since the fbk shenanigans what's wrong with posting on here? It seems like more people will come back.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 10:01 PM

Personally I prefer DB over Facebook. As stated by others, there is more "content" on here that is helpful to people new to the hobby. I am one of those people. I look at the pics on FB, but I do my research here on DB. I'm not much of a poster, but I do enjoy reading this forum. It has been extremely informative. So thanks.

Jim
varanoid likes this.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 PM

If there’s a difference in contribution, I hope using a forum conveys more effort (read: better).

Along w the husbandry practices, the issues of “breeders” comes to mind. I’ve read through the threads concerning the unscrupulous businesses the community views as detrimental to the hobby and conservation of the species. Definitely something that should stay current for people new to this should be aware of.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:23 AM

Facebook is about to get hit with a $5 billion fine by the FTC. The E.U. is after them, and they are going to change. I haven't darkened my life with that site for over two years now and I'm very happy not to get lost in their addictive, and meaningless endless scroll.
I've brought this up before in the tech support area before, but this version of VBulletin is two major releases behind the current version. Many of the image issues could be cured by an upgrade. Additional functionalities include: Live Chat. That could be a big revitalizer. Better mobile support and the ability to run ecommerce through the site could be useful as well.
But this would cost money. And hosting this already massive database already costs money. Tech support to run this site costs money. Right now the ads are minimal and generally hobby related. Opening that floodgate a bit could help fund the bells and whistles that people have grown to want, whether they know it or not.
It seems most of the desires expressed on this thread would be addressed by an upgrade and the tech time to do it. "Build it and they will come" might actually be apt in this case. It seems all of us here want more of us here, and most of them left because of the ease of the Book of Faces. So let's get our house all cleaned up so when they come back, they want to hang out a bit longer.
To make that happen, we need to address what that means:
Hosting images is expensive, they take a lot of meta, giga and peta bytes. It is also essential for a board like this one. Are we willing to pay a small annual fee? Are we willing to see google ads? Is anyone willing to curate the back catalog? I mean, many posts that used photobucket will Never be whole again. That could happen with any other free photo hosting service available today. Excuse me: that WILL happen to any other free photo hosting service available today. Because hosting photos is expensive. The only safe way to maintain an archive is to 1) self-host and 2) curate.
Facebook has had a detrimental effect on all social media because of the illusion of it being free and the power of their hordes of technicians and developers. We have grown to expect something truly amazing for nothing.
Facebook isn't free. It is a multi billion dollar business and its product is: YOU. They track and catalog everything you do, everyone you know and use it to weaponize advertising. Everything you post there becomes their property. Every belief you expose on its pages becomes leverage they possess over you. Every stupid thing you said once, while drunk and online is waiting to come back and haunt you when you decide to run for the school board, or anything really.
We're a lot more egalitarian here, and while copyright ownership of images posted or advice given is still in a nebulous state: it exists as community property for the use of that very same community and its new comers.
What are we willing to do to make it the forum we want? That's the question we need to be asking here. We can hope and dream, or we can help it become a place that is visually attractive and intellectually stimulating and easily accessible, but only if we find a way to fund that.
When I was a fulltime techy I used to love to say: "It's not magic, it's technology." If you want something you either have to do it, or get someone else to do it for you. Either way, everything has a cost.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srod View Post
Yeah when you have free time on your hands you post stuff. I happen to have free time atm. And since the fbk shenanigans what's wrong with posting on here? It seems like more people will come back.

There's certainly nothing wrong with posting here. Though we can see when someone attempts to initially get their post count up, hoping to gain access to the classifieds. A series of new posts a few minutes apart, that abruptly stop once the poster surpasses 20 posts or so. We've seen it often since the security rules were instituted. Kudos to you for effort though, you did put more thought into your successive posts than most usually do. No worries though; I'm sure we'll see more of this happening as the Facebook refugees arrive.
Philio likes this.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 AM

I have always been a lurker (at times obsessively), more than a poster. Iíve noticed the activity slow down here and on every other forum Iím on. I never made the jump to FB due to all the ever consuming drama, thatís something I always loved about DB, the drama was always squashed by mods or someone with a vastly superior knowledge base.
The missing photos does make viewing some of the older threads a pain, but some of the advice and documented experiences are priceless. There is also countless threads with no useful info at all or info that has been repeated as long as Iíve been looking. I know itís all about time/$$, but having the archive cleaned up would go along way towards what needs to be hosted. I really donít have much time or $$, itís just a suggestion.
I have killed many hours browsing here and would love to see a renaissance, not every hobby has/ had professional zoo keepers, biologists, botanists, researchers and engineers eagerly willing to answer questions and share their vast knowledge. I hope this continues long into the future!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
varanoid and Encyclia like this.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
There's certainly nothing wrong with posting here. Though we can see when someone attempts to initially get their post count up, hoping to gain access to the classifieds. A series of new posts a few minutes apart, that abruptly stop once the poster surpasses 20 posts or so. We've seen it often since the security rules were instituted. Kudos to you for effort though, you did put more thought into your successive posts than most usually do. No worries though; I'm sure we'll see more of this happening as the Facebook refugees arrive.
Well since theres nothin wrong with posting I shall continue. It's just amusing you felt the need to comment on my posting. Didnt know I would be a point of discussion for someone . And theres always ways around the classifieds. You can always PM people.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
Facebook is about to get hit with a $5 billion fine by the FTC. The E.U. is after them, and they are going to change. I haven't darkened my life with that site for over two years now and I'm very happy not to get lost in their addictive, and meaningless endless scroll.
I've brought this up before in the tech support area before, but this version of VBulletin is two major releases behind the current version. Many of the image issues could be cured by an upgrade. Additional functionalities include: Live Chat. That could be a big revitalizer. Better mobile support and the ability to run ecommerce through the site could be useful as well.
But this would cost money. And hosting this already massive database already costs money. Tech support to run this site costs money. Right now the ads are minimal and generally hobby related. Opening that floodgate a bit could help fund the bells and whistles that people have grown to want, whether they know it or not.
It seems most of the desires expressed on this thread would be addressed by an upgrade and the tech time to do it. "Build it and they will come" might actually be apt in this case. It seems all of us here want more of us here, and most of them left because of the ease of the Book of Faces. So let's get our house all cleaned up so when they come back, they want to hang out a bit longer.
To make that happen, we need to address what that means:
Hosting images is expensive, they take a lot of meta, giga and peta bytes. It is also essential for a board like this one. Are we willing to pay a small annual fee? Are we willing to see google ads? Is anyone willing to curate the back catalog? I mean, many posts that used photobucket will Never be whole again. That could happen with any other free photo hosting service available today. Excuse me: that WILL happen to any other free photo hosting service available today. Because hosting photos is expensive. The only safe way to maintain an archive is to 1) self-host and 2) curate.
Facebook has had a detrimental effect on all social media because of the illusion of it being free and the power of their hordes of technicians and developers. We have grown to expect something truly amazing for nothing.
Facebook isn't free. It is a multi billion dollar business and its product is: YOU. They track and catalog everything you do, everyone you know and use it to weaponize advertising. Everything you post there becomes their property. Every belief you expose on its pages becomes leverage they possess over you. Every stupid thing you said once, while drunk and online is waiting to come back and haunt you when you decide to run for the school board, or anything really.
We're a lot more egalitarian here, and while copyright ownership of images posted or advice given is still in a nebulous state: it exists as community property for the use of that very same community and its new comers.
What are we willing to do to make it the forum we want? That's the question we need to be asking here. We can hope and dream, or we can help it become a place that is visually attractive and intellectually stimulating and easily accessible, but only if we find a way to fund that.
When I was a fulltime techy I used to love to say: "It's not magic, it's technology." If you want something you either have to do it, or get someone else to do it for you. Either way, everything has a cost.

It's really not that expensive to host images. I own a photography company. While dendroboard has been around longer I'm confident in saying we host a ton more images than are posted/hosted here. It's not as expensive as you might think to run a web forum with images on it like this one.

Now what it does take is TIME. Time to manage everything. If they were to upgrade the forum, that's no fun and takes time. They have to work with mods, have to deal with end user issues etc. The vast majority of us have lives outside of frogs. While this site likely doesn't cost much to run, it likely doesn't bring in a ton of revenue either. So I'm sure those in charge do it as a labor of love.

Frankly I see nothing wrong with the forum as it is. I still see people posting and people getting help. Nothing to see here, move along....
srod likes this.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Facebook groups aren't beign shut down. Your just not aloud to buy and sell frogs anymore. But most people cant buy or sell frogs on dendroboard. Already people are flocking to a different platform where everybody can participate in all aspects. Still in this thread you see the topic of "you cant see the classifieds until you make 20 post" "stop trying to get your post count up".

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmy View Post
Facebook groups aren't beign shut down. Your just not aloud to buy and sell frogs anymore. But most people cant buy or sell frogs on dendroboard. Already people are flocking to a different platform where everybody can participate in all aspects. Still in this thread you see the topic of "you cant see the classifieds until you make 20 post" "stop trying to get your post count up".

I'll admit when I first came here I found this limit a bit annoying. However, I actually think it's a good thing. Let those other forums serve as a catchall for anything being sold. That's where you'll find your wild caught animals that may be carrying who knows what with them. I feel the filtering out of the quick buck/instantaneous gratification mentality dramatically increases the chances you are going to receive responsibly bred, healthy frogs when you get them here.

I also don't see this forum as a place to buy frogs first and foremost. I see it as a knowledge exchange first.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:54 PM

Dendroboard started declining years ago. But there has been no attempt to revive it. Now that theres rule changes on facebook people think everyone is going to accept the faults over here and come back.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:10 PM

I assure you the sky is not falling, the world is not ending.

Sure social media played a part. I'm in some facebook groups for quicker discussion about the animals I keep. But for a deeper dive into topics there's no rival to this site. At least I haven't found one. Google around on any sort of frog or vivarium topic, you'll get a huge amount of links from dendroboard and a few here or there from others. It's not even close. No one is flocking to other sites for knowledge sharing as best I can tell.

Frankly it may be a contributor to the perceived decline. Why post content on a topic that has been discussed thoroughly here already? I know I rarely have to ask questions as a quick search nearly always pulls up the answer, already given, many times over, on THIS site.

For a quick purchase of an animal? Sure let them use that snake or fauna site. Whatever. Doesn't bother me. I'll keep coming here for the knowledge that is dropped and what has already been shared historically. I question if this thread is REALLY about "decline" or just people butthurt that they have to get their post count up in order to access the marketplace.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:37 PM

I think this post is about reviving dendroboard. You can call it butthurt. But butthurt people dont stick around. But you are right. Anytime I have a question I include dendroboard in the search on Google. I've always found the answer I'm looking for. But people like to be social with there hobby. Dendroboard is not the place for that.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:46 PM

Echoing a bit of what Ravage had to say, I suspect that the lack of ordinary socializing is related to the permanent, forever searchable nature of forums. It's difficult to comment sometimes, knowing that putting something in writing implies a permanent commitment to what is said. Our views on things evolve over time. That's where I think a live chat could be helpful.

It gives us the ability to discuss things more casually, without us having to labor over the long-term value of the conversation and how it could influence future users, or whether we'll say something we'll later regard as foolish, and have to see it here forevermore. I take much greater care writing comments I know are going to permanently be part of our forum than I do coming up with off-the-cuff chitchat in person.

That's why I think live chat lends spontaneity, and would be a real improvement to the site. It's low-commitment. It's fun to check and see who's online to chat with. It has more room for goofing around.
Dane, Ravage, skimmy and 1 others like this.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:07 PM

I think it would be helpful for the webmaster, assuming there are analytics on these pages, to look for trends in session drop offs, user engagement (dwell time, pages per session, etc) and when any declines started, which pages may have been more affected and when, and other possible trends that could help inform what is going on and how to perhaps reverse it.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:30 PM

I got out of the hobby around 2013 when DB was off the charts active. When I came back about 8 months ago I was so disappointed to see the decline in activity here. I joined a few groups on FB and was appalled at the quality of information, as well as the ethics I observed. There is no substitute for DB out there that I am aware of. Even though activity has dwindled, this is a tremendous resource. I will do my best to contribute in a meaningful manor and do my part. There have been some great suggestions by other members for improvement on the design/functionality end of the forum, but I believe everyone has an opportunity to contribute and should do so, and if they do, the community will be all the stronger.
Dane and rmingers like this.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Dendroboard is a good site for knowledge that is true. The classifieds are another bonus. It seems that many people prefer social media over the forum format. Mewe has turned out to be an Easy to use alternative to fb. With the added group chat feature you meet other froggers and can communicate almost instantly to get advice. It's quite nice. I dont think dendroboard will be revived. I do believe it will continue to provide much knowledge to our fellow froggers who research.

Raven Woodshaunter likes this.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:51 PM

I just joined here recently, so no idea how busy it used to be here.

but I don't think this is a dendroboard or dart frog specific issue. over the years I've been involved in multiple hobbies, and forums for them, and over time I've seen a decline in forums, to the point now where mostly just the bigger international forums(like this) have a decent activity.

~10 years ago I had dart frogs, and back then I was on dutch forums(was 15-16 years old, so not that focussed on english forums yet). back than there were a dutch and belgian forum both of them decently active. through there I also ended up on an antforum(there once was a thread theorizing about ants as feed insects, and based on that a kind of exchange of info with the antforum happened).

now I'm coming back, the belgian dartfrog forum is gone, the dutch dartfrog forum is almost dead(only the classified section seems somewhat more active), and the antforum is gone too. that's also part of the reason I came here, since there's still some activity here.

in the mean time I've also taken up weed growing as a hobby(you can think of it what you want, but it is a hobby with similar dynamics as in any hobby, and it's semi-legal around here). there the same transition happened, the old dutch forum where I started is pretty much dead, most people left moved to a new dutch forum but it's much less active as the old one used to e back in the day.

there's a big international weed growing forum which is still pretty active, but much less as some years back(i'm guessing somewhat similar as here, except the weedgrowing hobby is bigger so more people are left on the forums).

the weedgrowing ****** (edit: ok, apparently the name of this social network site is censored on here? weird, anyway it sounds like edit) communities are more active though. but it's a format that's far less conductive to deeper discussion, since the posts have a high turnover and it's easy to join if you're already on other subreddits, you get a community that mostly revolves around beginners asking the most basic questions over and over('is this a male or female plant?'). because there's no seperate subforums, deeper discussions easily go under in the flood. so people more experienced in the hobby get bored and leave, leading to a kind of community with slightly more experienced beginners advicing beginners. also a lot of the hobby now seems to congregate on instagram(but I'm not on intagram, so I just hear references to it). meanwhile on the forums there are many more experienced people, but little influx of new members, so activity will not recover.

I think it's sad, but I also think it's too optimistic to expect that with just adding some new features you're going to reverse that momvement for dendroboard, while it's something that seems to be affecting hobbyforums in a broad sense. I think it's not something wrong with the features on here that causes it, but a broader social development.

edit: one thing though that is a big downside of forums, which could be taken into account to help more new members staying involved, is the typical 'use the search feature' answers. such posts are common across forums, and I understand wy you'd say that. however, it comes across unwelcoming, and often doesn't really help. for example, I'll use the search through google on a subject. first page of results will be 10 topics with my question, but no answers except 'use the search feature'. then I'll finally find a thread from 5 years back with a helpfull person who links a few threads, but all or most of those threads will be dead links. eventually on the 3rd page pf google I could find a rare thread that actually has an answer, but it's 10 years old and may be completely outdated by current hobby standards.

so what might help for forums in general(not saying it is the case here, but from some older threads I looked up it does seem to occur here often too) is to have a few people who keep answering these beginner questions, within a dedicated beginner forum(which already exists here) so the rest of the forum isn't flooded with it. but don't just kill threads with the 'use search' comment.
sticky threads help too, but care should be taken that they are regularly updated, and the pics stay working. nothing more frustrating then people refusing to answer you because there's a sticky, but the sticky lacks half the info because all the pics were once uploaded on photobucket or imageshack and are gone now.

edit2: another thing that could be done, if there are enough volunteers, is use a kind of mentor-system. I've seen such a system on a weedforum which seems to be keeping a good influx of new members(although the knowledge level is a bit lower as on some other weedforums). there they have an option where new members can ask for a mentor to personally guide them and ask beginner questions to in pm, the mentors are more experienced growers who volunteer for it and are asigned. and they do stuff like competitions to keep the community active, give a reason to visit besides just asking questions, so people are less inclined to leave if they've nothing left to learn from there. but stuff like those competitions only works with sponsors, and the downside on that particular forum I find it seems to be pretty commercial.
oldlady25715 and chericollins like this.

Last edited by dendrobates frisia; 04-27-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:36 PM

A lot of people have made good suggestions so far. But one thing I've noticed in the past week is an actual increase in posts, so that's great! But I'm also noticing those posts only getting 1 or 2 responses. So I guess one thing to actually "Revive Dendroboard" is actually use it. Make suggestions to the post, help them out, give them pointers. Dont just look at the market place and leave.
varanoid, srod and Ravage like this.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
A lot of people have made good suggestions so far. But one thing I've noticed in the past week is an actual increase in posts, so that's great! But I'm also noticing those posts only getting 1 or 2 responses. So I guess one thing to actually "Revive Dendroboard" is actually use it. Make suggestions to the post, help them out, give them pointers. Dont just look at the market place and leave.
I think that part of the decline is directly related to the above. In the good-ol-times, virtually every post had some activity. Even when the responders couldn't address the question or topic, they would chime in to say they were interested in simply to follow along. Now, and I'm not sure exactly why this is, it seems like that no longer happens. Generic build threads (often started by beginners) get no replies. No replies means that those posters lose interest in posting at all, which leads to further decline. My encouragement to those that ARE active is to GO BE ACTIVE! Go comment on recent threads, even if you are only doing so casually. Encourage others to be active by being active yourselves.
varanoid and srod like this.
Old 04-30-2019, 03:23 AM

Lots of great information and ideas being shared but one stated above about and annual fee for people willing to support the site makes sense. I pay it to Tapatalk right now and would gladly divert that funding to DB to help it get the updates it needs to the site. In this day and age that would be such a minimal expense to retain and grow the knowledge available here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Encyclia likes this.