No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Reviving DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
A lot of people have made good suggestions so far. But one thing I've noticed in the past week is an actual increase in posts, so that's great! But I'm also noticing those posts only getting 1 or 2 responses. So I guess one thing to actually "Revive Dendroboard" is actually use it. Make suggestions to the post, help them out, give them pointers. Dont just look at the market place and leave.

And this I agree with as well. I posted a build. Unique yes but no feedback pushed me off of the boards for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
laylow likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2019, 12:57 PM

Since I began my pdf experience in 2017 DB has been very helpful and while I have not been on site a long time my experience is very positive. Thanks to all who contribute!
varanoid likes this.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimmy View Post
Facebook groups aren't beign shut down. Your just not aloud to buy and sell frogs anymore. But most people cant buy or sell frogs on dendroboard. Already people are flocking to a different platform where everybody can participate in all aspects. Still in this thread you see the topic of "you cant see the classifieds until you make 20 post" "stop trying to get your post count up".

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
Not most people. Most scammers, sure. I would *never* buy from someone with no reputation on this board however. I'd also be extremely hesitant to sell to someone with no rep either. 25 post limit is a good thing, and any serious hobbyist should have no problem making 25 quality posts. It's a win-win for both sides, and weeds out scammers and people who generally have no business owning frogs in the first place.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:04 AM

I am new here.. but I find this board really helpful from an archival of knowledge perspective. Good luck finding old threads on facebook. Yes this forums use of whatever software it's using is kind of dated and not terribly user friendly.. especially when Photo posting is concerned. ****** is also good though on the vivarium subreddits. But I just feel like DB has more community potential.
varanoid likes this.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
I'm new here, but what keeps folks coming back to a forum, in my experience, is:

1 Knowledgable, helpful experienced posters

2 Tolerance for "the same newbie questions all the time" (I'm a veteran searcher but without knowing the right keyword it's not always easy to find something in a hobby you're new to)

3 Encouragement and advice for people, not judgment/criticism
Agreed (and I'm new here too). I used to be very active on another forum(different hobby, different user name) and one thing that always rubbed me the wrong way was people being chastised for asking a question that had been asked multiple times before. If you don't want to answer an oft asked question, feel free not to (heck, don't even click the link), but don't make the user feel bad for asking it. They're asking for help, not judgement.

That and the posting of pictures should be way easier.

I personally have learned a ton from reading "old" threads here and appreciate the knowledge base, and people's willingness to help.

Have a great weekend everybody!

Paul
rmingers likes this.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:12 PM

I wonder about the possibility of a voluntary fee. Donations are a tricky stick when the business running the site is for-profit. I don't think, in retrospect, that a fee for everyone is a good idea. We need the information to be freely available to the new people. Many of us who are more deeply into the hobby, or who sell and buy via the boards, would probably be willing to cough up a couple of bucks to help the effort. I still think expansion of advertising might help, the board still gets a decent number of eyeballs consistently.
There exists a tiny possibility that this site could become a payment gateway. I'm not too sure about shopping cart integration in this build of Vbulletin, but a webstore where buyers and sellers can operate independently is very much do-able these days. The "site" could take a small percentage for transactions and both parties could be somewhat protected by the e-commerce system of funds transfers. Not that I see a lot of scamming going on. A "Supporting Member" user category might be a way to generate a bit of cash and give reputation to those who become one.
The ITrader system that is shut down right now seems to be not a commerce system, but a decent rating system for transactions. Is this off because it's broken, or too much of a task to moderate?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
I wonder about the possibility of a voluntary fee.
Faunaclassifieds is going through some turmoil lately over issues that are largely related to the lack of paying members (the minimum price of admission over there is a measly $25 a year).

On a different topic, I'm noticing that this next issue has featured a lot in this discussion, one that I'm very guilty of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Running View Post
and one thing that always rubbed me the wrong way was people being chastised for asking a question that had been asked multiple times before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrobates frisia View Post
edit: one thing though that is a big downside of forums, which could be taken into account to help more new members staying involved, is the typical 'use the search feature' answers. such posts are common across forums, and I understand wy you'd say that. however, it comes across unwelcoming, and often doesn't really help. for example, I'll use the search through google on a subject. first page of results will be 10 topics with my question, but no answers except 'use the search feature'. then I'll finally find a thread from 5 years back with a helpfull person who links a few threads, but all or most of those threads will be dead links. eventually on the 3rd page pf google I could find a rare thread that actually has an answer, but it's 10 years old and may be completely outdated by current hobby standards.
I grew up in a time when, if you had an academic sort of question, you had to put your shoes on and go to the library. If you were really in a hurry, you'd ask a librarian to help you narrow your search, but in any event you had to go to the card catalogue (raise your hand if you've never even seen a real live card catalogue) and find the books you're looking for (or if you were pretty good with the Dewey Decimal System -- raise hands again, please -- you could peruse the shelves).

Now, this was perversely time consuming, but it had this advantage to Asking Jeeves: you learned more than you thought you would. If you have to skim a handful of books on dart frogs to find the answer to 'how many Tincs can I put in a 1/2 gallon milk carton?', you'd learn a hell of a lot about dart frogs along the way, and that's a good thing. In fact, if that's not the whole point here, then I'm in the wrong place.

Expecting a user to search first isn't chastising (SR was making that claim about other forums, but the point still holds) and shouldn't come off as unwelcoming (although I'm sure it does when I say it; I can be a social buffoon even when I'm not trying to be), it should come of as a welcome and respectful invitation to search the vast Library of Babel that is Dendroboard, and come out on the other side with more knowledge than you ever thought existed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawpScotch View Post
But for a deeper dive into topics there's no rival to this site. At least I haven't found one. Google around on any sort of frog or vivarium topic, you'll get a huge amount of links from dendroboard and a few here or there from others. It's not even close.
All that grandiose BS having been said, I'll do my best to try to answer all questions without dismissing anyone to the stacks.
Encyclia likes this.

Last edited by Socratic Monologue; 05-13-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:37 AM

Lets talk about consumers and consumer motivations. If you want dendroboard to succeed you need to let go of your personal beliefs and remember the customer is ALWAYS right.

What I am about to say might be sound harsh but if you actually want this place to succeed you need to open your heart and mind and be ready to accept criticism. Its not like this forum has not seen the warning signs and its not like people have not brought this up before.

Consumers want things to be easy and accessible. When they want something they want it now. If you give consumers what they want they will use your product.

If you go to facebook you can join and post in most groups very quickly almost instant. If you want to post a picture of video they upload it and everything to do with that is handled directly in facebook. This makes it easy. You can sign up easily and be up and running fast. remember when a person decides to sign up for a service they are investing their own time into and they probably have an emotional motivation to do it, however that motivation can slip pretty fast if you make it hard. I will clearly state that dart frog keeping is a hobby, that means people want to enjoy it not work their asses off just to contribute to a forum.

Dendroboard is the opposite. You want to post a picture you have to host it yourself this forces consumers to go learn about that whole process, something they arent even used to now days since there are no major mobile or other platforms that do not host content for you that I can think of. Also the excuses of cost are not valid any more now that dendroboard is owned by a large company (vertical scope) they are perfectly capable of leveraging economies of scale in their servers.

So simply put the easiest thing to start is dendroboard has to be willing to host good resolution images of content.

Second get rid of blocks put in place to communicate with sellers. Anyone in sales knows that getting the sale when the customer is ripe is critical and leads to heavy increases in sales. When you tell someone they have to go fart around for 25 posts before they can buy something you are basically saying hey, go to facebook you can get it faster over there. I have no problem with a limit of 25 posts to start for sale threads and sell stuff but why on earth would inhibit someone who wants to buy?

Dont charge anyone anything sorry but every other site people are using is doing it for free what makes people think that consumers are going to pay when everything else is free. Stop making excuses there was enough money in this for a company to pay someone a good chunk of change to buy this forum. Web hosting is freaking cheap now days. this site is not that complex and the people running it are professionals now.

Allow people to create accounts with other major accounts. IE people should be able to login with facebook, google, or Microsoft accounts. This allows people who want to participate to get going real fast. Now days there are millions of places that want a login and consumers cant remember it all and dont want to. Lots of them from stores to forums allow you to use alternative credentials.

Add more moderators, plain and simple a lot of stuff on this forum takes too long to get done. I ask why people say oh but its my hobby. Ok fine dart frog keeping is a hobby why is it my posts get approved so much quicker on facebook than here? If you are strapped for time add more moderators this community is over flowing with awesome people who are very reputable its not even a chore to find them. And remember that people fade in and out of the hobby so dont get complacent every 6 months to a year add the new really active people as mods.

Last edited by Pubfiction; 05-13-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Hmm why has FB closed downed those groups?

Personally I noticed most forums are somewhat dead these days. Seems like most people are migrating to FB which is horrible in my opinion. Lots of good information are unsearchable and lost. FB is just super unorganized as well, not really all that suitable for these sort of discussions.
Think about how amazing it is that facebook is such a vastly inferior format for something like this and dispite that people prefer to go over there. Think about that, its very profound. It details perfectly what is more and less important to the consumers.

Last edited by Pubfiction; 05-13-2019 at 05:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
I guess so, considering you're trying to quickly flood the board with new posts in an attempt to get your post count up.
Maybe if we remove the need to do that they wont? We tell new people, hey get a post count or you cant participate in certain things you want to, then they try to post and we say, use the search, its a hard life. Another ironic point about that is that if you remove all the fluff posts that new people make just to try to meet criteria to get something they want done then it makes dendroboard look even less used.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Mod

Not that anyone seems to have noticed - but the number of posts needed to get to Classifieds has been lowered.

And the "newb" requirement (with a two post minimum to gain access to posting elsewhere) has been eliminated.

May be some other changes. Hard saying for sure at the moment.

DB Moderators
Old 05-13-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
I have no problem with a limit of 25 posts to start for sale threads and sell stuff but why on earth would inhibit someone who wants to buy?
I can think of two reasons off hand:

One, there are scammers out there. Lots of them. Everything from Nigerian princes to everyday ripoff artists. There aren't any here, that I've heard of. QED.

Two: this isn't a classified ad site. It is "Your source for dart frog information", says the banner up top. Prioritizing the exchange of information should be way more important than helping (non-paying) people to run a business, IMHO.

Quote:
If you want dendroboard to succeed you need to let go of your personal beliefs and remember the customer is ALWAYS right.
I sort of understand the point you're making with this, but DB isn't some business arrangement between one business and one person. DB is a business that is trying to get me and you and her and him and them to all play nicely together. Something that affects your experience positively might affect mine negatively; we can't both be right, but we both have to be appeased. It isn't as simple as the customer is always right when the customers are dealing with each other.

Quote:
Allow people to create accounts with other major accounts. IE people should be able to login with facebook, google, or Microsoft accounts. This allows people who want to participate to get going real fast. Now days there are millions of places that want a login and consumers cant remember it all and dont want to. Lots of them from stores to forums allow you to use alternative credentials.
I strenuously disagree with this suggestion. I don't actually know what my password is here; my computer remembers it, like every other site I visit. In 2019, remembering login info is a complete non-issue.

What allowing FB/Google/etc logins would promote, though, is drive-by trolls. If someone can't take the trouble to make an account here, there is no reason to believe that they'd be any sort of "member" of DB, in the sense that they'd take time and effort to make helpful, intelligent posts.

That's almost certainly the main reason why FB groups suck so hard: all a person has to do is push one button and they can start spewing ignorance and ego. Here, people have to work a tiny bit to get started, work a little harder to get other users' attention, and work more to get respected. I don't think everything should be easy, because then nothing is worth working for, and I think having a good forum is worth working for.
Scott, Dane and Woodswalker like this.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbo96 View Post
Dendroboard participation has absolutely dropped. The number of active sales threads use to be 6-8 pages or more.
Weren’t those those good old days!?!
Old 05-14-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I can think of two reasons off hand:

I think the fundamental thing we disagree on is the fact that I view the world through a lens of what could go right, and you view the world through a lens of what could go wrong. You spend all your energy trying to prevent things from going wrong, so much so that you miss out on what could go right. How many people who could input great information here and become amazing contributors simply arent because they may not be computer savvy and know how to post photos or dont know how to manage password, ya actually some people have their computers crash and lose them so they do have to remember them. I know some of the most intelligent people on earth in some areas and some of them have a lot of trouble with computers. How many amazing cool things might have popped up in the for sale forum but they just didnt because the flow here isnt high enough for many hobbyist or businesses to keep up here. If you want this to be the good old boys club where there is all this vetting then thats what it will be and as the good old boys move on or die, so will the forum. Young blood is very important for communities.

Second its a free market out there, all the things above you are worried about, well facebook groups are getting along just fine with out the limitations. Other forums and sites are too. So if a person has a choice why bother going here? Thats the main point of my post, you can make a trillion excuses but the place that stops making excuses and starts making solutions will take the community. If you want this place to be a strong community you have to look at the view through other peoples eyes. If you dont well that fine, just keep up the practices and atrophy thats been going on for half a decade now.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Mod

You sure about this?

How about the Sales Groups?

s
Quote:
... well facebook groups are getting along just fine with out the limitations.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
You sure about this?

How about the Sales Groups?

s
Yes they are