Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 PM

Default Froglet enclosure necessity and details

Hi, I’m going to be receiving some R. uakarii tadpoles and have a few questions about raising them once they’re froglets. I’ve read several threads and articles about it, but I still have a few questions when it comes time to raising them. It seems that people grow them out in a dedicated froglet enclosure and just wondering why that is done. Can they be placed directly into their eventual vivarium if there are no other inhabitants? Is this primarily so you can monitor their growth and make sure you're able to target feed them? Does anyone have a pic of their grow out enclosure they’d be willing to post? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2019, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Froglet enclosure necessity and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Running View Post
It seems that people grow them out in a dedicated froglet enclosure and just wondering why that is done.
Some people opt to remove froglets and or eggs from their parents tanks. It is entirely the keepers choice to do so or not. There are a variety of reasons keepers may wish to remove froglets. The first is to allow the froglets to grow free of competition from their larger parents and or siblings. Some remove them if they have concerns with overcrowding. Some remove them to temporary enclosures when they are ready to find new homes for their froglets.

Quote:
Can they be placed directly into their eventual vivarium if there are no other inhabitants?
Yes

Quote:
Is this primarily so you can monitor their growth and make sure you're able to target feed them?
This is one of the reasons keepers may wish to remove them.

Quote:
Does anyone have a pic of their grow out enclosure they’d be willing to post? Thanks for the help!
I don't have a pic on me and I'm at work, but the grow out enclosure doesn't need to be elaborate. I usually use clear plastic tubberware containers with some leaf litter and a few plant clippings. Use the search function and look up "grow out tank" for some ideas. If I am understanding your current situation though, I would just put them directly into their final home and forgo the grow out tank all together.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanks Michael, this is a huge help! I really appreciate it. You're correct, their eventual home does not have any inhabitants, so I will move them directly into it. Thanks again, have a great weekend!

Paul

Old 04-19-2019, 11:10 PM

I added a picture of one of the plastic containers I use too raise froglets in this topic : https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ad.../350758?page=1
Old 04-19-2019, 11:42 PM

It has been my personal preference to raise newly-morphed PDFs in small tupperware or similar containers, at least initially, mainly to keep a high concentration of food items and to be able to visually monitor them. Good luck.